Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion stories that haven't been done to death... (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Legion stories that haven't been done to death...
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Or how about the Legionnaires taking part in a murder mystery game (and make them all act in character too), and they don't even know that a real murder has already occurred!

And we can have all those forgotten Adventure era characters be suspects/game participants as a nice way to bring them back.

Wow, this thread is mind-blowing. Love how we're building on each other's ideas. WE should write the Legion!

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[Big Grin]

(I was actually writing a fanfic that attempted to bring the Espionage Squad into the antimated-verse, sans Brainiac 5. But I haven't been able to work on it in, oh, a dog's years now. :/ )

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

But that would be awesome! Animated Phantom Girl, Triplicate Girl and Shrinking Violet are among my favorite versions of all three characters ever!

[PhantomGirl - Animated]
[Triplicate Girl - Animated]
[Shrinking Violet - Animated]

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
In my version Violet leads ES, because she's older and has been on the team longer than Cham.

(I really hated how Season 2 shunted most of the female characters aside, but Animated Violet was great. It just sucked that she never got to actually interact with any other female characters. [No] )

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Yeah, I remember fans here thought that the lack of female characters might have been because young male viewers wanted more cool guys. There was even a contest on Bits to pick a "strong" female Legionnaire to join the show so she could be front and center with the guys.

I liked all the animated females - [Saturn Girl - Animated] and [Dream Girl - Animated] and :infectiouslassa: included. Really wish there had been more!

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
I've already written about Myar, the Alchemy Planet, so that's a silver age concept I'd love to see explored.

I've always thought that Nemesis Kid was a severely underutilized villain in general. A mystical ability to adapt whatever power is needed to defeat a particular opponent sounds like such a cool ability, but he always came off as pretty much a wuss in most of his appearances.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

I do wish some of his later appearances had shown him as a good enough tactician to use it to the fullest. They always got around it by having multiple Legionnaires (or multiple Lournus) attack simultaneously. A little divide and conquer would have allowed Nemesis Kid to fight back pretty well.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
At the other extreme, there's Karate Kid #1, where he's basically written with a Duplicate Boy-esque ability to do whatever he can think of, which I don't think is how his power should work, either.

The way I see it, whenever he's confronted with a particular opponent, his ability scans that opponent and gifts him with whatever is needed to defeat the opponent. For example, when faced with Mordru, he might develop earth-manipulation abilities, though he wouldn't necessarily understand why that particular power is useful against Mordru.

It might be interesting if a Legionnaire (or someone else) had to make use of a version of his potion (one that works only one time or something) in order to defeat a particular villain.

[ September 22, 2012, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Yeah, I remember fans here thought that the lack of female characters might have been because young male viewers wanted more cool guys.

Because there weren't enough cool guys in S1? [bangs head on desk] So damn tired of the "one-girl rule" in pop culture. And the heavy hand of Marketing, which I suspect was the main culprit here.

Yet you have other children's shows like Last Airbender that had much more parity between the genders and were hugely successful. The argument that a show can't succeed without being male-dominated all the time sounds more like adults indulging their own prejudices while hiding behind the kids.

quote:
There was even a contest on Bits to pick a "strong" female Legionnaire to join the show so she could be front and center with the guys.

I think a character like Monstress or XS would have been cool, but then again I saw nothing wrong with the girls they already used from the start. Mostly they just needed some more time in the front-- together!

quote:
I liked all the animated females - [Saturn Girl - Animated] and [Dream Girl - Animated] and [Infectious Lass] included. Really wish there had been more!

[Yes]

Sadly, prominently-featured female characters (emphasis on the plural) are in no imminent danger of being done to death.

[ September 22, 2012, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: cleome46 ]

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Criminal Minds is another show that has a good mix between the sexes. Creators really need to understand that female characters are NOT interchangeable!

--------------------

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
There's some 'rule' that I don't remember the name of (the Bechtel rule?) that one reviewer uses to judge whether a show is just including a woman to satisfy a quota (or as eye-candy for the male viewers), instead of writing women as actual characters.

1) There are two women with speaking lines.

2) At some point, they have a conversation with each other.

3) Their conversation is *not* about one of the male characters.

It seems like a lot movies, in particular, only have 'room' for one woman, and even if there is another woman with a speaking role, they never meet (or only meet for an obligatory 'chick-fight').

I've never consciously thought about that during my own writing of the Legion, but the Legion ladies, despite being attractively drawn and occasionally scantily clad, have been portrayed as much more than just 'eye candy for the male readers' over the decades.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Set:

[Yes] What makes it sadder is that both JLA/JLU and Titans Go!, while not perfect, were way ahead of the Legion cartoons in terms of passing The Bechdel Test.

I think my favorite ep from S1 is "Child's Play", because wow! We got a whole couple of sentences in which Phantom, Saturn and Trip were discussing battle strategy with each other. (Plus, the whole plot was that a self-absorbed boy child had to learn that he wasn't really the center of the universe. After Phantom Girl found a legal loophole that kept Earth from going to war with Sorcerer's World.)

(Oh, and in case I never mentioned it, I think Laser Ape should totally have made it into S3.) [Poke Joke]

[ September 23, 2012, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: cleome46 ]

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Creators really need to understand that female characters are NOT interchangeable!

Actually, this brings to mind ... a vision ...

"Picture it ... The Silver Age ... Battle of the Sexes story"

... where the boys take off half cocked (with one female LSH member) to tackle a case ... meanwhile the girls back at the HQ are solving the case ... and the girls have to take reluctant turns being the *token* female on the boys squad.(mostly just to make sure they don't mess things up too badly)

Sun Boy, Live Wire, and Ultra Boy won't even realize that Shrinking Violet was with them during one panel and Triplicate Girl was on their team in the next panel.

The girls use the Planetary chance machine to choose who has to go with the boys at any given moment.

It strikes Vi twice in a row. and she pouts!

Smart boys like Brainy, Element Lad, Cham, and Invisible Kid are not part of this story.

Ok well maybe for the last panel where everyone laughs about the hijinks!

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

quote:
Criminal Minds is another show that has a good mix between the sexes. Creators really need to understand that female characters are NOT interchangeable!

[Yes] And that it's ridiculous to expect one woman in fiction to stand for all women everywhere. I think that's the real problem that dogs poor Wonder Woman. If the "Trinity" were a Quartet (Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Hawkgirl or Black Canary) there wouldn't constantly be one female character having to carry all of "Womanhood" by herself.

--------------------

cleome46

[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:

... where the boys take off half cocked (with one female LSH member) to tackle a case ... meanwhile the girls back at the HQ are solving the case ... and the girls have to take reluctant turns being the *token* female on the boys squad.(mostly just to make sure they don't mess things up too badly)

quote:
...Smart boys like Brainy, Element Lad, Cham, and Invisible Kid are not part of this story.

They're out selling candy planet-to-planet to help keep the lights on at HQ. RJ made some really bad investments that decade and... well...

quote:
Ok well maybe for the last panel where everyone laughs about the hijinks!

[LOL]

You're going to write this story, yes?

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.