Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Hey, let's reboot the Super-Companions! (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Hey, let's reboot the Super-Companions!
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
Back when I first read this story, I actually thought nothing of it. But now that I've read this thread, I've re-read the story, actually *looking* for the gay-ness. Well, when you look you can find a LOT! Anyone notice *where* Tree Man is holding that statue? Anyone notice Othar's constant hand gesturing? Anyone notice that thing those Dungeon Master guys are pointing at Shadow Man? Superboy's crown?

This thread is getting way too creepy...r u sure there were gay subtexts in a story that was published way before homo sex became chic?
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Has anyone seen the original version of the Super-Companions tale from Superboy #101? Is it really just the same as the later tale, minus the Legion panels?

Nope.

quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
You know, being changed from one dog breed to another dog breed doesn't really seem like that big of a problem. Call when you get turned into an iguana, we'll talk.

Were that only the case. Krypto becomes a female Collie (renamed Kryptonia by Superboy) and has puppies. Unfortunately they vanished when the effects of the red k wore off.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Good Lord, I can't believe no one ever responded to THAT tidbit.

So, was this the first instance of animal-transsexualaity in comics?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
 -
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:

I bet you'd buy the SUPER-COMPANIONS SPECIAL written by Grant Morrison and drawn by Jim Lee, though!

Jeepers! I was just thinking about how awesome a Morrison-written Super-Companions Special might be, only to discover Lash had suggested this ages ago!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I [Love] this thread, animal transsexuality and all!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Me too, it remains one of my favorites that I must seek out and read every quarter or so!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Super-Companions: The Village People-- OF SPACE !!!???

(Or not.)

[Confused]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Now that Krypto's in ADVENTURE, how long before they turn him into a girl dog?

--------------------

Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I imagine that every now and then Clark takes his Crown of Gayness off the mantle, puts it on, cranks up the Cher and then fondly reminisces about his time with the boys.

Except maybe for Telepathy Man.

Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

He gets more respect as Mzzgrzz the Magnificent!

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Now that Krypto's in ADVENTURE, how long before they turn him into a girl dog?

I'm shocked that his vanished red kryptonite puppies haven't returned in some Crisis or another...
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, 'he' sure looks like a 'she' on the February cover of Superman!
 -
And yes, I can hardly wait for the puppies!
Maybe they'll have originated with this very thread!

And is this thread where the MEL poster of the collie superhero originated from?
 -
lol

[ November 17, 2009, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: Candle ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Thoughts on 'rebooting' the Super-Companions (who first off, need another name, like Company of Heroes or something!);

Tree-Man – power upgrade to 'root' self and grow to enormous size, skin hard as wood, grow various alien fruits, flowers, pollens, thorns and nuts that do cool things, can also change the color of his leafy covering
New name: Hardwood, Timber, Undergrowth, Wildwood, Weald

Liquidman – no longer needs to drink his special elixir, and can change part of all of self solid or liquid as needed, including worn or carried objects (allowing him to grab a bad-guys gun and turn it to water in his hand). Established as a scientist, he builds freeze pellets and burn pellets that allow him to become ice or steam, can also use them as incendiraries or freeze grenades, later will invent shock pellets that allow him to shock people he splashes as well, and poison pellets that allow him to paralyze people
New name: Water, Aquatic, Aqueous, Limnal, Pluvial, Deluge, Serum, Splash, Hydrous, Torrent

Stormboy – needs no upgrade or development from the already cool power to create rainstorms and throw lightning
New names: Tempest, Thunderbolt, Weatherman, Downdraft, Climate, Atmosphere, Cloudburst, Furor, Blitzkrieg, Typhoon, Cyclone, Gale, Hurricane, Blizzard, Windstorm, Squall, Whiteout, Monsoon, Downpour, Deluge, Skyfire, Lightning Rod, Thunderstorm

Shadowman – Establish whether or not he can move fast in altered / intangible state, can become invisible and or can fly? Does he alter particles of things he passes through, making them fall apart (or possibly strengthening them, as he wishes, by 'possessing' an item and using his own self to reinforce their molecular bonds?)?
Dusk, Penumbra, Gloom, Umbra, Vestige, Occult, Shade, Sunset, Twilight, Aphotic, Atrementous, Caliginous, Crepulscular, Inky, Nebulous, Murk, Opaque, Stygian, Tenebrous, Midnight, Eclipse, Nightfall

Telepathy Man – Tulpa/thoughtform, able to generate any item that he can understand, which is mostly simple items, but can study up to create complicated things. Most creations are temporary. Later revealed (when he ‘dies’) that his body is a ‘telepathic projection’ and that the real Telepathy Man never leaves his home world, creating new thoughtforms to project his powers across the galaxy.
Cerebration, Cogitation, Cogito, Thought Lord,
Thoughtmaster, Tulpa, Thoughtform, Reverie, Trance, Daydreamer, Cognate

With names that aren't mock-bait, and powers more clearly established and refined (and, in Liquidman's case, augmented by further use of his scientific genius), the team could be salvagable and used quite seriously.

The silly crown-bestowing collector alien could have turned over a new leaf (or, another member of his species could have done so, to atone for her brother's misdeeds), and serve as their 'R.J. Brande' civilian handler type person, coordinating their actions and providing them a base of operations, etc. Where the first alien basically hornswaggled (and, in some cases, blackmailed!) them into coming to his world, the new contact could simply do her best to keep them coordinated, without imposing any sort of agenda on them. Their related worlds could be close enough together that they serve as a sort of 'local branch' superhero team, in that region, which would be far enough from UP central space as to benefit from having it's own local team for local emergencies, rather than having to call to Earth for Legion assistance and hope they aren't busy / get there in time.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Oh, yeah!!!

That team of all-gay superheroes who tried to convert Superboy!

That Storm Boy sure was cute...

Hey! In the 2995 Sourcebook, it is revealed that Storm Boy joined the Legion during the 5-Year Gap.

Since the other Storm Boy that was introduced in the early ADV. run didn't have actual powers, I must conclude that Super-Companion Storm Boy was the one who joined.

ANOTHER gay Legionnaire!

Well I guess Geoff Johns hates gays.

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.