Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Calling the Roll of LSH #3.... spoilers (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Calling the Roll of LSH #3.... spoilers
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
spoiler
space

Are the captions on the cover the 'official' titles of the story?

"1...2...3... It's a Magic Number!"

spoiler
space

spoiler
space

spoiler
space

spoiler
space

Call the Roll!

[Cosmic Boy - Re-Imagined] COSMIC BOY: Just how many lines of dialogue away was Cos from slapping Brainy do you think?

"Like it or not, I'm apparently responsible for an entire generation's right to freedom... My team has no code or discipline...

It looks like Cos's credentials as spiritual leader of the team are going to be demonstrated from the get-go (well--- two+ unseen years in, at any rate).

The revelations here of his suspicions of a Brainiac 'coup' cast #2's snappy patter between the pair in a whole different light. There was more going on there than just good-natured ribbing.

At the story's beginning I appreciate how Cos' perception of Brainy... "You work better when you're given a project." Maybe he needs to keep ol' Brainy a heck of a lot busier...

"Stage two"... team integration, presumably. Can't wait to see this one progress.

[Brainiac 5 - Re-Imagined] BRAINIAC 5: "Zookeeping is a full time job." should be Brainy's epitaph.

Presuming that the flight rings are Brainy's invention, we can add costume/civilian attire switching to their repetoire. And we know they're exceedingly rare... and that, as yet, they don't replicate with Triplicate Girl's power.
Handy gadgets.

Ah, sneaky Dox... plotting his little 'internal coup'. Wonder if Cos realizes the Coluan's sights are set much higher than taking over the team...

Now who has yellowish eyes (a mask?) and is getting ready to transmat to the Rimworld? I'm reminded that earlier, Invisible Kid was called one of 'Brainy's kids'... who else qualifies?

[Ultra Boy - Re-Imagined] ULTRA BOY: "Conformity is for chumps. Being scared of stretching your muscles is for chumps," he says as he drives a millenia-old convertible. "I'm not complicated. This is me in summary. I like to have fun. I'm a super-hero. And it would take me about an hour to ruin you for all other men." Ok-- I rescind my opinion that Mon-el and Superboy should stay on the backburner. This kid needs to be taken down a peg or two. Bring on a Kryptonion. Or a Daxamite. Superboy. Mon-el. Dev-em. Supergirl'd be perfect. Or Night Girl!

Triplicate Girl's summation of Ultra Boy as a slightly evolved gang-banger fits with his portrayal of the last decade or so. I'd like to see a little more depth there, so I'm hoping she's misjudging him a bit.

[Sun Boy - Re-Imagined] SUN BOY: That 'unmasking Dirk Morgna' (confirming Sun Boy of Earth's name, presumably) scene was nicely done... a good bit of comedy, furthering the whole retro-worship thing going on in this title. I would've liked a little context-- do *all* the Legionnaires play these games? How much of what they do do they see *as* a game? Fun, though.

"I'm fairly aligned with Cos's views. Call me a loyalist. I wasn't there for the founding." "Believe it or not, my parents encouraged me to join." Interesting. If there's nothing sinister behind this, that makes Sun Boy's parents possibly the first open-minded adults to whom we've been introduced.

"Scary smart", huh? I really don't like Triplicate Girl's comments that follow that, though. "He's not so much dedicated as he is eager to be admired. It's hard to tell if he's loyal or if he's acting loyal because he's in the spotlight."

Just as I was enjoying having a Sun Boy back in the Legion, the spectre of his 'fall' in the 5YL stories has to be invoked. Ugh.

[Phantom Girl - Re-Imagined] PHANTOM GIRL: I think the page featuring PG and EL is my favorite page in the book. She's a sexy, playful presence... I like the inference that she and EL have an ongoing friendship. It's somewhat intriguing that *both* of them apparently have no concept of 'dating'. Is that true of the whole team? Of 31st century in general? No wonder there's a revolution brewing, if so.

Hmmm. I wonder if Tinya's the one getting ready to transmat to the rimworld?

[Triplicate Girl - Re-Imagined] TRIPLICATE GIRL: "Splits into three" reads the copy under her hero name in the issue's roll call. That doesn't tell the half (or third) of it, does it? This is quite a tale that's going to take a while to absorb. Cargg, reduced to rubble by some agent as yet unknown (mystery to be revealed later?), is populated by one woman split into infinity.

Triplicate Girl's power is actually integration, isn't it? The three girls who are chosen as a delegation to Earth are 'selves' initially replicated by the girl that woke up in Cargg's rubble; now they're a unit unto themselves due to differences incurred while away.

This is a further extension of the 'replicating' superpower that was recently examined and used very well in Marvel's MADROX miniseries. I see echoes of that here. It's sort of like Jamie Madrox manifested his 'feminine side' and she was somehow transported to the DCU Cargg. The info-gathering of the entities and then integrating as knowledge is a great use of the power.

Are they limited to three? Couldn't any one of them replicate 'copies' at any time? Or is it only the 'prime' that can create replicates? It isn't quite clear in the story. At first it would seem that any Carggite could 'fission' off a new self at any time-- but the use of 'we' and 'us' doesn't quite make that clear.

I think I'll have *lots* more to post on Triplicate Girl-- her new origin and persona is very evocative...

I do wish that when Triplicate Girl was telling her story to Element Lad, Sun Boy and Ultra Boy that it'd been more of a dialogue, with her answering their questions or responding to their observations/reactions.

Since she was ostensibly finding out about *them*, it's somewhat amusing that she spends her time with them talking about *her/theirself*.

[Element Lad - Re-Imagined] ELEMENT LAD: PG calls him Jan! And apparently he's a *fairly* recent addition to the ranks... though he's been there long enough to build a history with Phantom Girl and Karate Kid.

I'm not liking this continued motif of Legionnaires not knowing who is or isn't a capital 'L' Legionnaire, as Jan is ignorant of Atom Girl.

"No socialization. No familiarity... earthlings are so conservative. Why do I have to wear clothes at all?" "I like being naked". Now *there's* an icebreaker.

So, Trom is undeveloped, remote... possibly tropical. "I'm not in the Legion to celebrate the past". That makes him the holder of a unique viewpoint in this group, doesn't it? I'm here because we're leading a generational revolution that could alter the galaxy. As a Tromian, it's my spiritual duty to be at the nexus of great change." At first, I inferred that Trom was therefore still populated... but we don't know yet, do we?

So sixty seconds is the limit of Jan's transformations!? Don't like that much... I can see the point that he needed to be unProgenitorized, but let's not get carried away here. Maybe he'll learn to effect longer transformations?

So far, he seems more a stranger to me than any of the other Legionnaires... even the very different Triplicate Girl. I *hope* that won't continue to be true.

MICRO LAD/LIGHT LASS/INVISIBLE KID: I liked the demonstration of Micro Lad's attitude in regards to how he thinks about his name and power. He's unique in that he 'relaxes', I suppose, in order to 'use' his power. I like the interaction between ML and Light Lass...

CHAMELEON: At last he speaks! Awww- I felt a little sorry for him/her. He wanted to play, but the razzafrazza 'cool' kids wouldn't...

Enjoyable issue-- with a nice twist capping what was a fairly simple plot with some very nice moments. I think I like the changes in Triplicate Girl and Cargg-- though it's gonna take some time to sink into my consciousness.

The 'date' scenes were fun (esp. the interaction with Chameleon) and the 'date prep' scene between PG and EL.

The concluding twist of Cos's use of Triplicate Girl as a one-Legionnaire (is she considered one member or three?) Espionage Squad was unexpected and gave some gravity to the date(s). I'd thought TG's new origin was the meat of the story, but I'm not sure it was.

I was disturbed, a bit, by the coalescing Triplicate Girl's arriving with their dates. Ultra Boy had just inferred a little 'menage a quatre' with 'his' TG, only to be confronted by the already separated Carggites, along with their 'dates', Element Lad and Sun Boy. The three boys stare at each other in horror and then run for the 'bar'.

This is sneaking into homophobic territory. Not overt... but there. Including Element Lad, a character often speculated about as gay by fans *and* creators, makes it a bit more... there. It was a funny scene... but I think it might've communicated more than was intended. Or perhaps exactly what *was* intended.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Rimworld and the evolution of the 'stage two'.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

Are they limited to three? Couldn't any one of them replicate 'copies' at any time? Or is it only the 'prime' that can create replicates? It isn't quite clear in the story.

The way I understood this is that the maximum number of copies was eventually reached on Cargg. The three selves that traveled to Earth can't split anymore, because the overall maximum number of selves has already been reached.

Weird. But lots of fun.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digiac 5
3booted

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digiac 5   Author's Homepage   Email Digiac 5         Edit/Delete Post     
Did you notice that Phantom Girl is listed as coming from a different _dimension_?
Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
spoiler
space

Are the captions on the cover the 'official' titles of the story?

"1...2...3... It's a Magic Number!"

spoiler
space

spoiler
space

spoiler
space

spoiler
space

Call the Roll!

Now who has yellowish eyes (a mask?) and is getting ready to transmat to the Rimworld? I'm reminded that earlier, Invisible Kid was called one of 'Brainy's kids'... who else qualifies?

Timber Wolf? I can't really think of anyone else offhand. My first thought was Shadow Lass, but the yellow eyes don't fit. Hmm...what color eyes did Blok have? We know the Legion was recently on Dryad. Whoever it is isn't a core Legionnaire.

quote:
"Scary smart", huh? I really don't like Triplicate Girl's comments that follow that, though. "He's not so much dedicated as he is eager to be admired. It's hard to tell if he's loyal or if he's acting loyal because he's in the spotlight."
We know Sun Boy and Cos have had a least some disagreement in regard to fighting on Lallor or walking away. I think he's loyal to the cause but not necessarily to Cosmic Boy. I also think he loves the spotlight, but that's consistent with the original Sun Boy. I do love the "scary smart" comment because Dirk really was one of the most intelligent Legionnaires in the past.

quote:
[Phantom Girl - Re-Imagined] PHANTOM GIRL: I think the page featuring PG and EL is my favorite page in the book. She's a sexy, playful presence... I like the inference that she and EL have an ongoing friendship. It's somewhat intriguing that *both* of them apparently have no concept of 'dating'. Is that true of the whole team? Of 31st century in general? No wonder there's a revolution brewing, if so.
Not just these two, but Triplicate Girl as well. But Light Lass, Ultra Boy, and Sun Boy seem to know about dating; or, possibly, they don't know and that's why Ayla comes off as "slutty" to some people.

One other thing I liked about the scene above is that PG was reading an obviously old (in terms of the 21st Century) issue of Batman.

quote:
Hmmm. I wonder if Tinya's the one getting ready to transmat to the rimworld?
The glowing yellow eyes suggest otherwise.

quote:
[Triplicate Girl - Re-Imagined] TRIPLICATE GIRL: "Splits into three" reads the copy under her hero name in the issue's roll call. That doesn't tell the half (or third) of it, does it? This is quite a tale that's going to take a while to absorb. Cargg, reduced to rubble by some agent as yet unknown (mystery to be revealed later?), is populated by one woman split into infinity.
This is definitely a twist on previous versions. But she can't split into infinity, since she found the upper limit.

As for what destroyed Cargg, I'm wondering if it doesn't tie into the looming threat the Legion is going to face.

quote:
Triplicate Girl's power is actually integration, isn't it? The three girls who are chosen as a delegation to Earth are 'selves' initially replicated by the girl that woke up in Cargg's rubble; now they're a unit unto themselves due to differences incurred while away.
I see your point, but the issue lists her power as splitting.

quote:
Are they limited to three? Couldn't any one of them replicate 'copies' at any time? Or is it only the 'prime' that can create replicates? It isn't quite clear in the story. At first it would seem that any Carggite could 'fission' off a new self at any time-- but the use of 'we' and 'us' doesn't quite make that clear.
There was a stated upper limit to the splitting. ("In time, we founs an upper limit to the number of selves we could fission...") I got the feeling that that limit is still in place and that these three can't split further unless another version of TG on Cargg reintegrates.

quote:
I'm not liking this continued motif of Legionnaires not knowing who is or isn't a capital 'L' Legionnaire, as Jan is ignorant of Atom Girl.
I don't think he's alone. Maybe it's more than just ignorance. Maybe it's a Legion Espionage Squad type of thing. PG could be part of that, which might explain why she's aware of Atom Girl's existence.

quote:
So far, he seems more a stranger to me than any of the other Legionnaires... even the very different Triplicate Girl. I *hope* that won't continue to be true.
He might be different that previous versions, but I think I might like this Element Lad. He seems to be removed from what we might consider to be standard human behavior.

quote:
CHAMELEON: At last he speaks! Awww- I felt a little sorry for him/her. He wanted to play, but the razzafrazza 'cool' kids wouldn't...
Those scenes with Cham had me laughing! Note that he displayed clear emotion. I'm guessing that he's simply going to have to learn how best to fit in with humans - or at least to fake it.

quote:
I was disturbed, a bit, by the coalescing Triplicate Girl's arriving with their dates. Ultra Boy had just inferred a little 'menage a quatre' with 'his' TG, only to be confronted by the already separated Carggites, along with their 'dates', Element Lad and Sun Boy. The three boys stare at each other in horror and then run for the 'bar'.
This was an obvious set-up. TG had no intentions of following through with any of them since the dates were just part of her mission. By bringing them all together she effectively ended the dates without doing anything she didn't want to do. Of course, it could have been interesting if they didn't run off. That sure would have thrown TG for a loop!

quote:
This is sneaking into homophobic territory. Not overt... but there. Including Element Lad, a character often speculated about as gay by fans *and* creators, makes it a bit more... there. It was a funny scene... but I think it might've communicated more than was intended. Or perhaps exactly what *was* intended.
I didn't read it that way. I think we're just seeing a new EL who isn't entirely like any of the previous versions. I didn't see anything homophobic and it's not like another Legionnaire can't be gay.[/QB][/QUOTE]

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mario Di Giacomo:
Did you notice that Phantom Girl is listed as coming from a different _dimension_?

Yes, but that's consistent with at least one other version of Bgztl, if not both previous versions.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
One of the things that is bothering me
quote:

I'm finding the apparent lack of familiarity of various members with one another rather disturbing, considering the team has been around two years or more. Wouldn't these guys know basic things about each other's homeworlds, and why they joined the Legion and stuff? One would think Sun Boy and Triplicate Girl would know each other fairly well by now, at least well enough to know why the other one joined the team.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pizza Delivery Girl
Fighting world hunger for glory and tips!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pizza Delivery Girl   Author's Homepage   Email Pizza Delivery Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
spoiler
[Cosmic Boy - Re-Imagined] COSMIC BOY: Just how many lines of dialogue away was Cos from slapping Brainy do you think?

Well, verbally he got the last punch in, didn't he?

Command one, command two, End of list.

Because obviously B5 is like some *machine* that requires *instructions*.

Waid, you WIN at subtle. And now I'm curious about Brainy's backstory, which... huh.

Also, zero-some encounter. My inner nerd is very happy right now.

quote:

[Brainiac 5 - Re-Imagined] BRAINIAC 5: "Zookeeping is a full time job." should be Brainy's epitaph.

Ties in with the goats from last issue. Nice. (*fangirls Waid some more*)

quote:

Presuming that the flight rings are Brainy's invention, we can add costume/civilian attire switching to their repetoire.

Well, the fact he was playing with it during the outfit change is leading, but perhaps it's just a function of 30th century clothing? All in one wardrobe, be prepared for any situation! I know I'd buy one.

quote:

As someone who tends to be reasonably sensitive to that sort of thing - I didn't read that into it. There is PLENTY of difference between not-homophobic and yay!-surprise-orgy! Also, I'm with ferroboy - Triplicate Girl obviously wasn't planning on getting any that day. (Although give parts of the fandom a few days, and I'm sure somebody will remedy that.)
Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imskian78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imskian78   Email imskian78         Edit/Delete Post     
Three is magic! After years of no emotion and interaction with each other (compare this run to DNA), it was so great to see the members joking, having different personalities, and SEX! Isn't that what most young adults think about. This mix up of the couples is also very refreshing after reading this book since 1978! Even with the reboot in 1994 most established relationship's stayed the same and this is new and fresh. Mark and Barry...another great issue!

One complaint...if I don't see Violet and Projectra soon I'm gonna lose it!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
A couple of thoughts about Element Lad.

Did anyone else think his civvies were sort of subtley reminiscent of his Cockrum/Grell costume.

I was looking for the picture from Adventure 326 when he says "I'm not in my element around girls" or something like that, but I couldn't find it. I wanted to see if the expression on his face when Triplicate Girl kissed him was similar.

From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
There are so many unanswered questions and possibilites related to Triplicate Girl. Replication beyond 3 is still a possibility - either as a further development of her power, or re-integration with additional selves back on Cargg (although this might be difficult given that she is now an outcast). Also unanswered is whether TG has any telepathic link with her other selves when in Triplicate form. Waid seems to suggest that it does not exist since the bodies must integrate to assimilate the knowlege and experience gained by the individuals.

I think that Waid (and as a result us) is going to have a lot of fun developing this character. For once, I'm really liking TG.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starbucks Kid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starbucks Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
From what I gathered, the Carggites did find a limit to how many replicas they could make and were at the max before sending the 3 to Earth. So, the 3 cannot make more of themselves, only recombine with others.

Now that the rest of her homeplanet has more or less ostracized her, she's pretty much stuck with the 3.

Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunt Drouin
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunt Drouin   Email Hunt Drouin         Edit/Delete Post     
The cover title "Three...It's A Magic Number" has got to be an homage to the old ABC Schoolhouse Rock. Just great for us "longtime legionnaires."
From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
It's interesting that Triplicate Girl is now the "lone survivor of her world" like Jan was preboot. And this time, apparently, Jan is not.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baycent54
new

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baycent54   Author's Homepage   Email baycent54         Edit/Delete Post     
My dirty mind speaking: When I first saw the cover of Legion#3, I was half-expecting to see TG raising her second finger in the middle image.
From: Michigan | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
random thoughts:
-- If the Legionnaires take off their rings to get into civvies, does that mean they're back "on the grid"? (assuming they were implanted when young)
-- Triplicate Girl must be "scary smart" as well - she basically has whatever knowledge was necessary to rebuild her homeworld almost from scratch.
-- Once again we see Colossal Boy's condescending attitude towards the "little people". Makes me wonder how much loyalty he has towards the team and how seriously he takes them.
-- Is it me or does the "mystery man" look more like Mon-el? He almost looks like he's wearing a version of Laurel's nun outfit.
-- It's too bad that after the great first impression, it turns out Dirk may have the same old vanity carried over from preboot.
-- So, the guys run out to "the bar". What's that about? What do they drink and is it legal? It'd be funny if "underagers" have all these curtailed freedoms but are allowed to drink.
-- Triplicate Girl's origin reminds me a lot of Madrox: being totally alone with only themselves fr company (though it wasn't as traumatic for Lu as it was for Jaime), the bump in powers to a lot more than three, the absorbsion of information and experience upon reintegration and even the way they "liquify" as they're "slurped back up".
-- Interesting to see that at the end of the book, all three form into a separate Lu on that couch rather than two being absorbed into the third (or original).
-- Nice to see confirmation that the three founders are still the three founders.
-- Why did Dirk melt those scissors? It didn't look intentional - how often does he lose control?

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.