Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Calling the Roll of LSH #3.... spoilers (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Calling the Roll of LSH #3.... spoilers
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
i'm lovin' Waid's scripts. Kitson's doing his best work ever. the inking was much improved over last issue. the coloring i agree is a little too murky. Can't wait for some more action! and plot development!
-anybody else spot what could be ol' Spider Girl in crowd scene ... a mass of orange hair with breasts walking by.
-and notice Lu + Dirk's cups say "Morlo's". a nod to old foe Mantis Morlo.
-i see that Lightning Lad has his hand on Saturn Girl's shoulder in the flashback scene. they must be a couple early on.
-the new TG origin is intriguing.
--Lu has THE ugliest uniform. the cape has got to go. Take a lesson from The Incredibles, "Capes are a dangerous accessory!".
and does she really need 3 logos on her uniform? it's just not very aesthetically pleasing. if a whole planet of Lu's can agree on the ugly clothes, why can't they agree on 1 logo?
-looks to me like the L rings come with auto super-hero clothes. put the ring on-you're ready to go. take it off- instant civies. can't call'em just flight rings anymore.
-love the abundance of teen hormones every ish. it's been too long since we've seen that.
-wonder what PG thinks of Ultra Boy?
-Cos's brown hair is just wrong. especially in a team full of brown haired white guys. does ANY white guy on the team have black hair?
-i miss the Main Meeting Room scenes. maybe that would help Cos get everyone on the same page.
-i'll bet that Trom is destroyed in the upcoming war. and E Lad's powers are increased exponentially.
**Brainy's mystery ally could be Mon-El, or it could be Shakiri from TT/Legion Special.
I'm very happy with these first 3 issues!

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
It just occurred to me that TG's ability to assimilate knowledge might be exponential. Here's a simplistic explanation (which I already acknowledge has some holes in it). Each body could tackle 1/3 of a problem, merge and assimilate the others' knowlege. I assume that upon splitting again, each body would have all of the knowledge of the whole. Thus the capabilities of each body after the first merge/split are 3 times what they were before. As this goes on, the capablities increase exponentially, i.e., 1 x 3 x 3 x 3 .... Perhaps this explains how they were able to rebuild Cargg so quickly.

[ February 25, 2005, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Semi Transparent Fellow ]

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
This whole issue was like watching an episode of "Freaks and Geeks".

TRIPLICATE GIRL: I'm lukewarm about the "Fission Girl" backstory, but the end justifies the means. I was pleasantly surprised that WaK retained her status as fourth team member, hand-picked by the founders.

The Mata Hari routine certainly raises some troubling ethical questions, but it was also so reminiscent of the old "Girl's Revolt" stories, I couldn't help but chuckle. I interpreted the guys' flight from her bedroom to the bar as a reaction to TG as voracious Man-Eater, at least the way they saw it.

I won't bother debating why her clothing replicates, but not her flight ring, or engage in speculation about auto-eroticism. The only important thing is, TG is an underdog no more.

COSMIC BOY: I'm with Brainy in questioning Cos' decision not to send reinforcements to Rimworld 19. If Cos is so concerned about interstellar war, wouldn't the report of a "massive incursion", combined with a sudden communications outage, had been enough reason to investigate? In this instance, Cos doesn't see the trees for the forest.

"Over my dead body". Hopefully not prophetic. Cos' dilemma recalls the Chu Conspiracy story, where he knew something was rotten in Denmark and formulated a covert plan to deal with it. That the danger is now internal and so close to home makes it all more sinister.

BRAINY: Speaking of sinister. Cos wants to lead by inspiration; Brainy by "enforcing" and "shaping". Cos is the "loyalist"; Brainy is the anarchist. Cos is altruistic; Brainy is egotistical. Despite their extreme differences, these two might make a great leadership TEAM, if only they'd put an end to their pissing contest.

Brainy sending Lightning Lad the image of the man Dream Girl augured HAS to be a setup for issue #5. Now Garth will *know* the enemy when he spots him, quite possibly as the person behind the "deadly super-powered team" he and Saturn Girl are slated to encounter in a couple of months.

As for the yellow-eyed colloborator in the shadows, Brainy's comment "Don't let anyone see you leave" (rather than "Don't let anyone see you.") suggests he may already be a known quantity at Legion HQ. Our first peek at Mystery Boot Boy, perhaps. A Brainy/Vril and T-Wolf/Lobo team-up is also a possibility.

SUN BOY: Does "Loyalist" mean someone who's loyal to the U.P? That makes as much sense as being loyal to the United Nations. I'm glad to have Dirk back on board, but I miss the peerless Silver Age Sun Boy, whose loyalty to the Legion was beyond question and who was much too chivalrous ever to call Lu a "ninny".

CHAMELEON: Wanting to morph into a "puppy" hints at a longing for acceptance. He's jealous of Sun Boy's popularity, so I think these two will come to blows again. I feel a little sorry for Cham, but I still don't like him/her/it very much, so the humor of his scenes was lost on me.

MICRO LAD/COLOSSAL BOY: "Are you suggesting I HIDE?" Also, "I don't call you Not Light Lass..." I LOVE this guy. [LOL]

INVISIBLE KID: Unlike Micro Lad, Lyle DID hide. His fear of discovery by the S.P. might well figure in his spotlight issue next month.

ULTRA BOY: Is the muscle car Legion property? If so, how could they afford a rare antique that costs "a thousand credits a foot" to operate when they can't afford the cost of another flight ring? I wouldn't be surprised if U-Boy stole it from a museum. He definitely has the makings of a real loser. I was happy when TG handed him his comeuppance.

PHANTOM GIRL: It's obvious the lovely Phantom Girl has eluded Ultra Boy's grasp, or she'd know a lot more about dating practices. Even better, we know Tinya can't possibly be half-Carggite.

Is that a 4th Millennium reprint she's reading?

LIGHTNING LAD and SATURN GIRL: "They'll handle". Each other, apparently. Unromantic cynic that I am, I had really hoped these two characters would evolve in new and separate directions. One consolation at least: Cosmic Boy's directive to "leave [them] to their own devices" means there's no founders' triangle garbage this time. Who knows? The three of them might even be close friends again. How Levitzian.

ELEMENT LAD: Nice civvies, especially the green bolero jacket and the way its design evokes the old up-arrow symbol. I like the inherent sweetness he exhibits in the "rite of vegetation" scene and his genuine surprise when Lu pecks him on the cheek (does that one qualify as the new Legion's first kiss?). However, the "Nature Boy" origin and the 60-second power limitation were the biggest disappointments of the issue for me. We have Element Lad back, but at what cost?

The fact Jan had *no reaction* whatsoever to Lu's tale about the destruction of her race is fairly convincing evidence that Trom escaped a similar fate.

Tromian? I prefer Trommite. Is Tromium still extant? Whatever.

[ February 25, 2005, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Tromium ]

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:

COSMIC BOY: I'm with Brainy in questioning Cos' decision not to send reinforcements to Rimworld 19. If Cos is so concerned about interstellar war, wouldn't the report of a "massive incursion", combined with a sudden communications outage, had been enough reason to investigate? In this instance, Cos doesn't see the trees for the forest.

"Over my dead body". Hopefully not prophetic. Cos' dilemma recalls the Chu Conspiracy story, where he knew something was rotten in Denmark and formulated a covert plan to deal with it. That the danger is now internal and so close to home makes

Are you thinking that Garth and Imra are the "covert team"? That was my thought. After all, if you lose contact with your teammates, wouldn't it make sense to send a team to find out what's going on? Not if something's happening that you don't want Brainiac to know about.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

quote:
Originally posted by ferroboy:
Are you thinking that Garth and Imra are the "covert team"? That was my thought. After all, if you lose contact with your teammates, wouldn't it make sense to send a team to find out what's going on? Not if something's happening that you don't want Brainiac to know about.

I suspect they were just vacationing in the wrong place at the wrong time (or right place at the right time, depending how you look at it), but I agree that Cosmic Boy's lack of concern about them being caught in the middle of a a "massive incursion" is pretty odd unless he had something else up his sleeve. Maybe Cos was trying to trap Brainy into revealing his secret collaborator.
From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps
I'm actually the Time Trapper...shhhhhh

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Phipps   Email Charles Phipps         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't much care for the tinkering with origins. Gim's works, the others....not so much. Triplicate Girl I like just as a funny Cargggite.

Though I agree, it wasn't homophobic. It's the sort of tricks certain girls play on guys once they figure out that men can be deeply deeply deeply stupid.

--------------------
Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p

Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Funny but I was really taken by the Two "adults" this issue.

"this is why civilized people oughtn't congregate in public"

" I thought it would be nice to step outdoors"

"koff koff. they're even polluting the air now"

"savages"

To me in this one short exchange explains a lot about how UP society is. It is urban, indoors, sanitized, purified, processed. It is pretty impersonal, notice the clothing they wear, covered and keeping everything (and everyone) out. Yet it is not devoid of love as this is obviously a couple and with some feeling for each other.

"see dear" and they are close together.

This gives us a quick view into the society the Legion is fighting to change.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, Darden. I totally dismissed that part. Thanks for pointing it out. You are right.

Nice job, Mark and Barry!

And I'm of the camp that says that Cos sent LL and SG on a secret mission and they are not vacationing.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
The question the adult couple raised in my mind is: what were they protecting themselves from? If U-Boy was right, the city has environmental filters or whatever to make the atmosphere pristine. I'm going to guess there are similar safeguards in place to protect from UV rays and it doesn't seem that cold out. Is it just customary? Are these outfits like burkhas? Is it just earthers who are this severe? The adult Lallorians we saw were in armor so we can't tell from that, but Nura's people weren't as covered up as that.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
And I'm of the camp that says that Cos sent LL and SG on a secret mission and they are not vacationing.

If LL and SG were Cos's secret agents, and Brainy was deliberately left out of the loop, why wouldn't Garth have reported to Cos in secret? His communique not only disclosed his and Imra's whereabouts to Brainy, but revealed a potential threat that raised Brainy's hackles and practically invited intervention. If LL was supposed to be working sub rosa, he did a pretty good job undermining his own mission, imo.

His report might have been a disinformation ploy to bamboozle Brainy somehow, but I kinda doubt it considering what's supposed to happen in issue #5.

Charles Phipps
I'm actually the Time Trapper...shhhhhh

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Phipps   Email Charles Phipps         Edit/Delete Post     
My guess is Earth is the heart of the problem but there's a silent culture of total repression of danger and health hazards covering the entire planet along with limiting human relationships

(perhaps dating is all done by computers, plus no rape!)

There was a Sci-Fi channel original movie where everyone lived in there apartments and were tended by a computer in their building. Everyone grew pathologically disturbed by other people and relied on the entertainments in their apartment both physical and otherwise rather than risk going outside.

--------------------
Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p

Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps:
My guess is Earth is the heart of the problem but there's a silent culture of total repression of danger and health hazards covering the entire planet along with limiting human relationships

(perhaps dating is all done by computers, plus no rape!)

That sounds reasonable to me. I got the sense that the Legionnaires weren't familiar with the concept of dating because it's simply become obsolete in this century. It's possible that dating is still practiced on Earth even if it's not practiced on Bgztl or Trom, but since we've already seen how repressive Earth is, I doubt that.

Though I must say that what the Legionnaires are doing seems closer to "hooking up" than "dating." [Smile]

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
Why (not to mention how) was Cosmic Boy imitating a night light in the last panel?

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Guys
Sorry if I've been a bit of an absentee lately - I've been working on a VERY detailed large cast issue!

Glad to read you're still finding lots to discuss - and spotting lots of the 'little touches' we're trying to include!

I know we're still posing probably more questions than we're providing answers right now... but it'll all come together ....we hope [Big Grin]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps:
I don't much care for the tinkering with origins. Gim's works, the others....not so much. Triplicate Girl I like just as a funny Cargggite.

Note that Triplicate Girl is *still* the odd Carggite who isn't really welcomed by her people.

quote:
Though I agree, it wasn't homophobic. It's the sort of tricks certain girls play on guys once they figure out that men can be deeply deeply deeply stupid.
I think the 'homophobic' content was simply that Element Lad is not heterosexual, not anything the characters did. (And I disagree that it's homophobic anyway.)

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.