Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Calling the Roll of LSH #3.... spoilers (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Calling the Roll of LSH #3.... spoilers
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps:

and there's a certain level of social acceptance relevant in "running out screaming." Personally, I know plenty of gays who'd want to be able to run out because its a display

'HELL NO'

It's an immature response and implies a certain amount of freedom. I'm against "Element Lad is a hyper alien" though.

I like Element lad when he's just a orphan personally

I'm not sure what you mean in the first comment-- if it's what I think it's a little insulting... maybe you left off a graemlin?

I am thoroughly with you about Jan as a last survivor (*much* more than an orphan- I think you'll agree), though.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps:
It implied the future was dastardly homophobic that Shavaugn would have to become a woman to be with a person she liked.

Actually, it implied that Jan wasn't gay at all.
I'd say it implied that *Shvaughn/Sean* thought he wasn't gay.

You could well be right.

It makes Sean look like a doormat for going to the lengths he did for years and not asking straight out, but you could be right.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
Glad to read you're still finding lots to discuss - and spotting lots of the 'little touches' we're trying to include!

I spy another possible in-joke/homage in LSH # 3:
Chameleon's "Stupid, stupid Legionnaires!"

I wonder if the new Cham will turn out to be from a town called Boneville ? [Wink]

--------------------
"STUPID, STUPID RAT CREATURES!!" [Mad]

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Sean was not gay. He was a transexual who had an adolescent crush on Elelment Lad. He lived in a time when the miracles of science made it easy to switch genders. She became a first rate Science Police officer and eventually commander after switching to her preferred gender. She developed a relationship with the man she had harbored a crush on as a young boy. Life was going pretty well until the tragedy of war made her Profem impossible to get. In reverting to his previous gender Sean was forced to reveal his secret to the man he loved. In doing so he learned that Jan's ability to love him trancended gender.

A beautiful story. One of my all time favorites in the Legion or any other comic book.

[ March 01, 2005, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps
I'm actually the Time Trapper...shhhhhh

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Phipps   Email Charles Phipps         Edit/Delete Post     
The statement I stand by as basically that homosexuals should have a right to overeact when someone suggests they go against their sexuality. Just as much as any hetreosexual.

--------------------
Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p

Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Bicycle Repair Man:
I spy another possible in-joke/homage in LSH # 3:
Chameleon's "Stupid, stupid Legionnaires!"

I wonder if the new Cham will turn out to be from a town called Boneville ?

Either that, or he's related to Lester Spiffany!
(I think this requires its own topic!)

--------------------
"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
Sean was not gay. He was a transexual who had an adolescent crush on Elelment Lad.

I think the consensus is that Sean was gay. He became Shvaughn because he thought it was the only way he could be with Jan.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by ferroboy:
quote:
Sean was not gay. He was a transexual who had an adolescent crush on Elelment Lad.

I think the consensus is that Sean was gay. He became Shvaughn because he thought it was the only way he could be with Jan.
Hmm. I've never seen it that way, but your interpretation may help explain why so many people hated the stroy line. If Sean changed genders just to be with Jan that would be horribly out of character. Shvaughn was always happy and outgoing. She seemed to love her career, her freinds, the time she spent with the Legion, and trying to solve a good mystery. She enjoyed her life in so may aspects. She enjoyed being a woman. I beleive the despair she showed when she no longer had access to the Profem was over losing her life as a woman, not because she feared losing Jan. An incredibly bold story, in my opinion. One which was truly and deeply respectful of past characterization of both Shvaughn and Jan. I realize I'm in the minority here.

Back to issue #3. I found nothing homophobic or out of the ordinary in the boys' reaction. They were freaked out by an odd situation and responded in a slightly immature fashion. Very much in character with the way the new team has been presented so far. I laughed.

[ March 01, 2005, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beagz
5 of 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beagz   Email Beagz         Edit/Delete Post     
Was it just me, or did issue 3 imply that Lu's integration was voluntary?

When Legion Lu went back to the planet, she was shunned. The easiest way to overcome this would be to initiate a re-integration. Once that was done, all the others could "experience" what it was like to be a member of the Legion.

But because none of the others allowed re-integration, it seemed to imply that any sort if re-integration MUST be voluntary. Otherwise, Legion-Lu would have simply initiated a re-assimilation.
Unless it's initiated by Lu-Prime?
(Sorry ... "Lu-Prime" sounds so cold, but I didn't know how to designate her.)

I dunno. Maybe it's not a big thing. But it does (at least for me) open up a LOT of possibilities.

--------------------
You can never quit believiing in your dreams ... or yourself.
-----
You GOTTA listen to Levi Kreis.

From: Aggieland | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digiac 5
3booted

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digiac 5   Author's Homepage   Email Digiac 5         Edit/Delete Post     
Since she can re-intergrate with her two sibs, it is likely to be a voluntary act.
Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I just hope Waid doesn't leave us hanging too long with an explanation for Lu's origin. Lord knows the preboot had enough danglers by the time it ended.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Phipps   Email Charles Phipps         Edit/Delete Post     
I like Trippy's eyes, she's so cute

Actually, we learned a bit more about Atom Girl this issue. If Element Lad doesn't even believe she EXISTS then its most likely she's got a bigger case of the shys than any previous version has.

[ March 04, 2005, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Charles Phipps ]

--------------------

Cham55
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cham55   Email Cham55         Edit/Delete Post     
Or a bigger case of the espionage squad.

And ... Lu seemed quite comfortable with Cos visiting her in the bedroom ... are they more than colleagues?

From: Scotland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps

I don't think she has quite the idea that there's a privacy problem.

After all, she grew up where you've seen it before

;-)

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by ferroboy:
quote:

Concensus implies everyone agrees. I don't.

Shvaugn was a real character. Sean was a best-forgotten caracature, at best an imposter or delusion, perhaps created by Glorith.

In no way whatsoever can I reconcile the whiney mass of lines and color with the character Levitz established who survived even into early TMK, regardless of sexuality/gender.

As far as I'm concerned, any need to cling to a label -gay or straight- by the 30th/31st century will be irrelevant. People will have their predominant tasts, yes, but neither will they be limited from acting on any variances from those preferences.

In other words, just as I may prefer black-haired women, that preference does not prevent me from dating red-heads or blondes. Long before 3000 CE, sexual prefences will be regarded similarly, I say - and I point to Vi and Ayla as examples.

The more I think on it, the less possible the Sean character seems, the less he fits, and the more he contradicts the reality around him - sort of as if Mickey Mouse had been edited into Reservoir Dogs.

I choose to think that #31 was a drug-induced delusion, and the Sean that appears therafter is a seperate character entirely, whether gay or not.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.