Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Calling the Roll of LSH #3.... spoilers (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Calling the Roll of LSH #3.... spoilers
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
quote:
Originally posted by ferroboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
Sean was not gay. He was a transexual who had an adolescent crush on Elelment Lad.

I think the consensus is that Sean was gay. He became Shvaughn because he thought it was the only way he could be with Jan.
Concensus implies everyone agrees. I don't.

Shvaugn was a real character. Sean was a best-forgotten caracature, at best an imposter or delusion, perhaps created by Glorith.

If you're arguing from "I don't like this so I'll ignore it," there's really nothing more to say. *I* don't like it and think it messed with the character of Shvaughn. However, within the context of the story, Sean is gay. Maybe pre-Mordruverse Shvaughn was always Shvaughn. Maybe Glorith did change things. But the story still stands, regardless of the truth.

quote:
As far as I'm concerned, any need to cling to a label -gay or straight- by the 30th/31st century will be irrelevant. People will have their predominant tasts, yes, but neither will they be limited from acting on any variances from those preferences.

Has it been acceptable in the last 1000 years? There are no guarantees.

quote:
In other words, just as I may prefer black-haired women, that preference does not prevent me from dating red-heads or blondes. Long before 3000 CE, sexual prefences will be regarded similarly, I say - and I point to Vi and Ayla as examples.

And just because I "prefer" men it doesn't prevent me from dating women. Anyone can date anyone if they want - but it's the underlying feelings and motivations that count.

quote:
The more I think on it, the less possible the Sean character seems, the less he fits, and the more he contradicts the reality around him - sort of as if Mickey Mouse had been edited into Reservoir Dogs.

I choose to think that #31 was a drug-induced delusion, and the Sean that appears therafter is a seperate character entirely, whether gay or not.

Could be. I'm one of those who thinks TMK began to spiral downward quickly after the first year.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insanelad
single

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insanelad   Email insanelad         Edit/Delete Post     
Have finally gotten hold of issue 3 - and I thought it was great!

Interesting new spin on Lu's powers, and I like the whole retention of memories thing - similar to what Marvel are doing with Madrox, but who am I to complain? I thought it was a good boost for Madrox too.
Very sneaky of Cos to send her out to gather information, and Lu's insights into ther boy's motives seem to be spot on as far as we know.
I also question what we were told by Lu - who's to say that she was only saying what she was saying to get a response from the boys?

I'm really enjoying the new run (although I do wonder if it'll stop by issue 38 like the other runs...) - it's put a definate new spin on the Legion concept, and for once it's going in a new direction - these are new characters, not remodels of old ones. I'm enjoying the darker, more adult tone of the story - slightly ironic considering that we're talking about kids here.

... should Shikari be knocking around somewhere? Was it ever established that she was in the current Legion universe, or is she elsewhere? In a way I hope she's ot around, I don't think that there needs to be a link to the 'old' Legion - this is far too interesting already.

From: Kent | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
What's the significance of issue #38 other than that's when the last series ended. The three Legion series' the preceded it all had longer runs.

As for Shikari, I don't see the problem. She could just say that she's from somewhere else and that the Legion reminds her of people she used to know. No detail is needed, which prevents newer readers from getting needlessly bogged down by past continuity.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Triplicate Girl's origin story is interesting, but isn't it negated by the fact that her other selves back on the homeworld don't want anything to do with her now? So we're back to one girl in three, or three in one, who's an outcast. Maybe she'll develop different personalities - one of the selves won't want to merge for some reason? (No! I'm not sharing Sun Boy with you two!)

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by ferroboy:
What's the significance of issue #38 other than that's when the last series ended. The three Legion series' the preceded it all had longer runs.

#38 is traditionally significant in runs of the Legion. For example, v3 #38 was the death of Superboy, and v4 #38 was the destruction of the Earth. And, of course, Adventure #338 was the first big showdown with the Time Trapper...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Oh, cool! I knew about Superboy's death, but I didn't pay enough attention to when Earth was destroyed. I remember the moon (#19) being destroyed. And I had no idea about the Time Trapper. Interesting theme. I hope Mark and Barry follow up with a Very Special #38.

--------------------
Dan

Beetleblack
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beetleblack   Email Beetleblack         Edit/Delete Post     
Have to admit that I wasn't all that impressed with the first issue of the new series but issue 2 grew on me and I thought issue 3 was great. Love Triplicate Girl's origin, it was kind of sad and over all I felt the issue flowed better, maybe having the one character through out helped.

Btw, does anyone know if we are getting a version of Shrinking Violet in this reboot or not?

From: United Kingdom | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Yes, but she'll be called (initially, at least) Atom Girl. She's already a member. In fact, I'd suggest you re-read #3 because the scene with Element Lad and Phantom Girl makes a direct reference to her.

--------------------
Dan

Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Her head is already drawn and inked ready for a cover inclusion [Smile]

After she makes her official debut - I'll reveal which panel she actually first appeared in [Big Grin]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starbucks Kid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starbucks Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I think that by and large, most people will agree that the Shvaugn-Transexual plotline can be chalked up to really, really bad story writing.

Let's forget it ever happened...please?

Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
After she makes her official debut - I'll reveal which panel she actually first appeared in [Big Grin]

Wasn't that her in the seven page preview group shot at the end? (and again in issue #1 in the wide shot of the lounge area on the table (standing either with other Imskians or a couple of action figures)?) Or are we going to have to play a couple rounds of "Where's Violet?"
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

OK, Starbucks! It never happened! In fact, it didn't, because we all know damn well that it wasn't the case pre-Mordruverse. Glorith really knows how to screw up a good thing, doesn't she?

--------------------
Dan

Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
Her head is already drawn and inked ready for a cover inclusion [Smile]

Yay!!!! [Shrinking Violet]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beagz
5 of 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beagz   Email Beagz         Edit/Delete Post     
She's actually been hiding in the ears of certain members of the Legion. [Big Grin]

--------------------
You can never quit believiing in your dreams ... or yourself.
-----
You GOTTA listen to Levi Kreis.

From: Aggieland | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.