Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » LSH 4 preview! ... Spoilers (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: LSH 4 preview! ... Spoilers
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Alright, another preview, and more fascinating twists on a familiar character -- this time, Phantom Girl! She's the only Bgztli(?) who can phase into Earth's dimension. While phasing, she's partly here, partly there. It takes a lot of effort to be fully "present" on Earth, probably too much effort to be "solid" here all the time. That's pretty wild. It gives an excuse for her to hit things (that's good!) but creates a permanent separation between her the rest of the Legionnaires. This really does make her a Phantom Girl, living in a realm inaccessible to all her colleagues. Her fellow Bgztlis think she's nuts, has imaginary playmates. How does she deal with all this? Is she MORE outgoing to compensate for her incorporeality? Do other Legionnaires forget she's there? And by the way, how does she talk if she's immaterial? (I've ALWAYS wondered about that. Does she make a vocal cords solid? Does the air come in from Bgztl and come out on Earth?) Does she wander through Legion HQ and metropolis, ignoring barriers of privacy and courtesy? Once again, Waid takes a familiar power and makes in more interesting.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rjbrande
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rjbrande   Email rjbrande         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
My impression was the S.P.s crashed into the Morgna home (not Legion HQ) while the kids were visiting Dirk's parents.

I went back to look again, and since Dirk's first words are "We have to go now", I definitely missed the mark. All the Legion paraphenalia lead me to think they were in the HQ; puts Dirk's parents' feelings about the Legionnaires and Dirk in a whole new light for me...

And in a weird way, I like the idea that the Legion occasionally goes over and hangs out at someone's home. Dirk, Shady, Star Boy, Light Lass and Tinya - I'll throw out the obligatory "wonder if that says anything about the cliques" question. Shady certainly seems to be comfortable around and popular with everybody.

As far as the backup story, I do think the scene is leading to a real kiss, but this being the Legion the moon could explode in the next panel and ruin the mood.

Can't wait to get this issue in my hands.

Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Next week I'm going to be so grumpy because I went ahead and looked at these previews.

Main story: Sun Boy and Shadow Lass, now that's an interesting pairing. I'm very happy to see that Dirk's parents aren't the same as preboot. I wonder how and if the Legion as outlaws plot will be resolved by the end of the issue. Star Boy is just scrumptious.

Back-up: I wonder if Phantom Girl's remark about the villain not picking on her friends was instigated by whatever sent Element Lad to the ground. I'd certainly appreciate their friendship being something to count on. And, if she can break that fellow's tooth and take him down bare-fisted she's gotta have some form of heightened strength/invulnerability. I don't give a hoot about Karate Kid or his infatuations, but it will be interesting to see Projectra free of him.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
Re. the backup story, I think lovelorn Val is flashing back to the only time Tinya ever touched him. Waid's Val is quite appealing (I never, ever liked KK before) and the new Tinya promises to be a much better character than the unpleasant shrew DnA depicted. Personally, I have a hard time picturing these two as a couple but I'm thrilled that PG/UB and KK/PP are no longer shackled by their previous relationships. I look forward to other unexpected romantic and friendship combinations.

Same here, totally. Tinya and Jo are actually my favorite comics couple, but it is refreshing. While I'll be 'rooting' for them to get together, I really like how all the Legionnaires are no longer shackled by previous relationships too!

And the story looks like it'll be another great one! Already I get the 'feeling' when I see Waid and Kitson listed as co-creators that we're in a great era.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I really like the Gibbons art. Somehow it seems much livelier than the annual he did all those years ago, though I never really liked that story much anyway. I'm also glad to finally see the new Tinya get the spotlight.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Even though it looks like Tinya's touch is leading to a kiss, KK says that they touched "once" and since that last panel focuses on her hand on his face (her gloved one at that -- I thought Legionnaires were supposed to be less prudish? [Wink] ), I'm going to guess that's as far as it went.

Regarding the colors - the bright colors don't work for me. I was never one of those with a problem with the current coloring anyway. I'm also always a bit bothered by that kind of "air-brushy" computer modeling. It's especially bad with the bad guy.

And now that we see Tinya is literally between two dimensions, does she lead a double life in Bgztl? Will she seem as flaky as Dream Girl, with half her mind occupied on something else (like how that Bgztl officer saw her)? And when she's phasing, she now has to make sure she's not going to hit something on Bgztl. Will she have to make sure she doesn't materialize half in a wall on Bgtzl when she's in the middle of a fight here in this dimension? And where does she shower? She'd have to make sure her bathroom provides equal privacy in both dimensions.

[ March 24, 2005, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: DrakeB3004 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliconDream
I'd rather not be

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiliconDream   Email SiliconDream         Edit/Delete Post     
Looks like if she's present to any degree here, she's already intangible on Bgztl, so she shouldn't have to worry about smacking into stuff there. And if she needs privacy for showers and whatnot, I guess she can just relax and go back completely to Bgztl. From the "force of will" line I assume she's never on Earth unless actively trying.

Now, speaking of Earth...can Tinya go on space missions at all? Does every planet here have a habitable counterpart in her dimension, or does she risk emerging in a hostile environment if exhaustion/distraction/unconsciousness causes her to dephase?

From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haggard Lad
S'up?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haggard Lad   Email Haggard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by SiliconDream:
Now, speaking of Earth...can Tinya go on space missions at all? Does every planet here have a habitable counterpart in her dimension, or does she risk emerging in a hostile environment if exhaustion/distraction/unconsciousness causes her to dephase?

That's an interesting point. She went with them to Lallor in the first issue. Maybe she never leaves Bgztl no matter where she is in the Legion's dimension.

--------------------
The Secret Origin of Haggard Lad!

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Was I mistaken in thinking she is only visible on Bgztl when she's actually there or phasing. She can be solid on Earth, solid on Bgztl, or intangible in both. So any privacy issue is determined by her own choice.
From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igee The Mighty
Legion Lover

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Igee The Mighty   Author's Homepage   Email Igee The Mighty         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, it seems they've turned Phantom Girl into Kitty Pryde with the naturally-phased-generat-effort-to-turn-solid condition. Gotta admit, Tinya did look funny while she was shown as being in Bgztl.

CAN'T WAIT FOR WEDNESDAY! :/

--------------------
Igee The Mighty!

From: Manila, The Philippines | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rurouni KJS
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rurouni KJS   Email Rurouni KJS         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
Next week I'm going to be so grumpy because I went ahead and looked at these previews.

You are NOT. These previews hardly spoil ANYTHING. Remember, LSH is 30% more comic than every other monthly out there. You've still got a solid 22 pages of comic left to read next week. Chin UP, man.

Anyway, add me to the legion of fans who are really digging Waid's way-out take on Legionnaires, their powers and most importantly, their native cultures and how they all work together to make these characters more fascinating than they've been in 30 years. There really is something to be said for shaking readers (and writers) out of our comfort zone with a good solid reboot once in a long while.

A very long while.

And, of course, it's got to be done right. No giant snakes or editor-mandated retcons lousing things up.

--------------------
-- Still here to help.

From: ATL, fool!!! WHAT!!! | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
All I can say is this. Barry won me over long ago with his awesome art and great attitude. The man is the best in the business.

As for Mr. Waid, well he started out this series good but his track record was spotty, so there was always some worry. But something he uses, has a character say, in this upcoming issue got me good. A simple turn of phrase proves, to me, this man loves the Legion, maybe as much as I do.

Four issues in and I'm almost, just almost, ready to say that Waid and Kitson have surpassed Levitz and Giffen in my eyes.

Now, just bring in the other character to whom that phrase means a lot too and don't screw up Garth and you'll have me fully hooked.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Consilience Kid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Consilience Kid   Email Consilience Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm about as hooked as I get. I'm interested to see how Waid is going to make good on the promise of his concept, which is brilliant. I think he's struck a pretty good balance of realism v. superhero stuff so far, though I personally wouldn't mind see more political reality. The idea of the Legion as the CSA is *great*, but I think he needs to work the angle a bit harder still. Characters are great so far, zero complaints in that area. And for the record, I *like* the subdued coloring. [Smile]

It's a bit early for me to pick at story structure and presentation, so I'll hold on for a few months.

Though I’ve commented elsewhere that I think Waid is writing believable kids, I’m reconsidering slightly after having read some of his comments in the interview at sequentialtart.com. I’ll wait on that one a bit too. So far.. not bad.

I think the series has a good shot at the success he predicted. The only thing that concerns me now is whether DC is promoting the title enough/properly/etc. But assuming Waid and Kitson stay on and there's no massive screwups, the only thing DC could do at this point is deprive the title of a potential audience. At 40,000 readers (from the sales figures) maybe that isn't really a problem.

The core faithful is on board. I'm sure most of the superhero fans would like it, and even non-fans like myself. It's a good solid book, so it's got a shot at the entire comic-buying audience. Though, should that be all DC shoots for? There's a problem in getting comic books to people who don't already read comics. But my instincts are that the Buffy and Harry Potter crowds would like this book a lot, given the chance.

From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Guys
As usual I won't give much away about the issue until you've all had a chance to read it - but I will admit I missed not getting to draw it!
I hope I won't have to skip another issue for a very long time - despite enjoying seeing other people's take on my designs! [Smile] (I think Dave, Leonard, Mick and Drew did great work BTW!)

I think we're getting the coloring sorted -many of the hiccups have been getting used to unexpected paper changes and technical stuff that I think is under control now (fingers-crossed).

As far as the audience goes DC (and the team) are delighted with results so far - since people actually saw the book orders have been increasing issue on issue (a very rare occurance) which suggests word-of-mouth has been very good!! And we haven't had any 'Identity Crisis' tie-ins [Big Grin]

Some one asked about SP design sheets - Have I ever posted those here? If not, I'll see what I can do!

Thanks again for all the support! [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Barry, you haven't posted the SP design sheets yet, not that I've found anywhere. If you can share them, when you get the time, I'm sure we'd all love to see them.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.