Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Legion news at SDCC... (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Legion news at SDCC...
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I think Bedard said to expect an announcement for plans following his arc. So I assume we'll get some indication of the next creative team.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

What we want right now, and in the near future, and in the far future, is good comic books.[/QB]

Yeah! using the True Legion of Super-Heroes from the Pre-Crisis DCU.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I went to the Teams Panel this evening and they barely mentioned the Legion in passing. (Of course I left halfway through due to boredom...).
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:
quote:

What we want right now, and in the near future, and in the far future, is good comic books.

Yeah! using the True Legion of Super-Heroes from the Pre-Crisis DCU.[/QB]
No!

That is what you want. That is what some people want. It is only one of the (apparently mutually exclusive) things that I want. And it is not what some other people, who are just as much Legion fans as you are, want.

Please don't put your words in other people's mouths, unless you're saying something as trite and unarguable as the words that I put in other people's mouths.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Matthew, really you don't think the majority of people want that? You don't think that title will outsell any Legion DC has put out in over a decade?

I agree some people don't want that. But many more do. It's like Classic Coke and New Coke. Some people loved New Coke. Some.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
I disagree, Jorge. The threeboot legion is what brought me to the series in the first place. I know I'm not alone. It may not have been the right decision-- having the Legion rebooted and then rebooted again-- but it was done and undoing it would be as big a mistake, IMHO.

I may not know the Silver Age Legion that well, but what I do know is that I don't particularly care for it. It's unfair to compare the Legions that way because there are plenty of new readers (like me) who'd be really bummed out to see this version go the wayside.

How do you know that more people want the original Legion back? It could just be that those who want it back are the loudest of all the fans, possibly because they're so dissatisfied. Writing the Legion is daunting because nothing is ever going to please everyone.

There's truth in sales and obviously there was something about the original Legion that wasn't selling or they wouldn't have gotten rid of it in the first place. If they could sell it now, great. But getting rid of the new Legion-- my Legion-- would be a mistake and probably run off the newer Legion fans who don't know the history.

A reboot didn't fix it the first time. It didn't fix it the second time. I doubt wiping the slate clean would do it, either. The answer lies elsewhere... probably in writing good stories, like Matthew E said. And that can be done with any Legion... though I still hope it'll be mine.

[ July 26, 2007, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Caliente ]

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
Sorry Dude did not meen to put words in your mouth I was agreeing with you on the good stories and putting my two cents in on what I want the Legion that stood the test of time for 30 years.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Caliente, I by no means want to get rid of any Legion. I am all for the multiverse.

If you really believe there is truth in sales than that is that. The silver age Legion NEVER sold as little as the Zero Hour Legion or the WaK Legion. I even think right before ZH the v4 Legion didn't sell that low.

And just because they are bringing back the old Legion doesn't mean the stories are going to automatically suck. Everyone wants a good story.

The minority is the loudest? You guys really think the PC Legion fans are a minority? You guys don't understand you are that loud minority? I'm sorry if I sound mean but I just can't fathom the PC Legion selling 30K a month.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Matthew, really you don't think the majority of people want that?

I don't know or care about the numbers. That's DC's problem, not mine. I just know it isn't unanimous.

This may be pretentious of me, or overdramatic, or something like that. But I'm trying to write my blog for all Legion fans, not just fans of this version or that. Therefore I want a solution to the Legion Problem that works for all Legion fans; I'd feel irresponsible advocating anything else. And one thing that I really don't like is when someone says that they want what they want and never mind what anybody else wants. (I don't think that this is what Lone Wolf Legionnaire was trying to say. I do think that it's an implication of how he said it, though, and that's why I responded strongly.)

I am much of Caliente's way of thinking as described in her last comment here. Although I don't insist that DC stick with the threeboot; I think they should go with whatever version makes the best commercial and artistic sense... but have the other versions available for use as appropriate. I don't think it's the best solution, but I think it's the best available solution.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Infact, I wouldn't mind if they announce a Legion Infinity title and each issue focuses on a different Legion. It's nothing against other Legions.
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
[QUOTE]Although I don't insist that DC stick with the threeboot; I think they should go with whatever version makes the best commercial and artistic sense... but have the other versions available for use as appropriate. I don't think it's the best solution, but I think it's the best available solution.

And I totally agree with this one comment.
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Infact, I wouldn't mind if they announce a Legion Infinity title and each issue focuses on a different Legion. It's nothing against other Legions.

I actually think that might be the best available option at this point. A "Legion Classified" kind of title.

Honestly, while I tend to think a title featuring the pre-Crisis Legion would probably outsell the current title, I don't think it's going to sell that much, unless it's just All-Star Superman level good or they really make it central to the "Final Crisis" event or whatever (and I'm actually thinking fans are getting burnt out on events, so that might not help).

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

quote:

I'd be okay with that, but:

1. I don't think it would work as the Legion's main title, because you wouldn't be able to tell real long-term stories the way they do these days.

2. It would work better as a secondary or companion title, like a Classified or something, but I'm not sure the market's there for a third monthly Legion comic.

But if they did it, I'd buy it.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I've never been a Titans follower.

I'm curious -- how did the Titans toon and toon-based book affect the main Titans title when it was at the stage that LSH is in right now?

Was there something successsful there that might serve as a model for LSH or something to avoid?

My preference -- which is about as likely to occur as Speedo day in the office on Fridays --

3 Legions:

(1) 'toon /Johnny DC Legion

(2) Lightning Saga legion to interact in the 21st century with every bloody DCU title they can get into

(3) The LSH (Supergirl-less) as a somewhat more adult-themed, well written, consistently-drawn book, with limited interaction with the mega-crossover-Crisis-to-end-all-Crises-event-of-the-month in the DC mainstream. I like the Calero/Bedard look and tone.

It's Friday, let me find that Speedo.

[ July 27, 2007, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Lad Boy ]

From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
I wouldn't hold out hope for a LSH:Classified or "Infinity" type book after Didio's statement at the Countdown panel yesterday.

quote:
We're governing it very tightly,” DiDio said, explaining that multiverse stories will all be about New Earth characters traveling to other worlds to explore them and that there will not be multiple versions of series taking place on different Earths.
A "Legion of Three Worlds" story would probably pass muster under that policy, but a multi-earth Legion monthly, or concurrent Legion books set on different worlds, are highly unlikely.
From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.