Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Legion news at SDCC... (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Legion news at SDCC...
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
To be completely honest, I think we're witnessing the death throws of the traditional American comic industry in its current form. The 'Legion problem' is just symptomatic of the 'comic problem' more generally.

I'm just hoping the Legion will survive into whatever new form the medium takes once the present state of things collapses.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Superboy-Supergirl:
hey i loved monstress and kidq2 YOU BOTH ARE HEARTLESS iNTERPLANETARY BANK BEASTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey! I resemble that remark. [Smile]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
'comic problem'

Over $3 for five minutes is a problem. If a $3 book can't keep me occupied for at least a half hour, reading and looking at the art, then it's a problem and monthly issues that can do that are pretty rare these days. There's little content in the writing and the art and writing are redundant.

A good modern comic is one I can look at without reading and get one story and read without looking at the art and get another. A great issue is one where I can a third story from the combined effort.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
When people refer to the "Legion Problem," I hear uncomfortable echoes in the back of my mind of the "Jewish Problem," as defined by the Nazis. And we all know what their "Final Solution" was.

Eryk may have a point that the comics industry itself in on the verge of extermination. I, for one, have no interest in paying three bucks for a regular issue of the same quality as the last Legion comic I picked up (# 31 of the current series). I don't imagine I'm alone in this. If this is the case, it makes all of these discussions about multiple versions pointless since the comics industry is not expanding its readership. Instead, it is catering to a small (and probably shrinking) fan base, while the general public neither knows nor cares about the Legion, let alone which version should be preferred.

The question that should be addressed, therefore, is not which version of the Legion (if any) will appeal to the most fans, but rather how do you get non-fans to care about the Legion in the numbers that cared back when sales were expanding?

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Over $3 for five minutes is a problem. If a $3 book can't keep me occupied for at least a half hour, reading and looking at the art, then it's a problem and monthly issues that can do that are pretty rare these days. There's little content in the writing and the art and writing are redundant.

Coincidentally, you posted this while I was drafting my post, above. I agree completely. This is exactly the lack of quality I was referring to. I'm tired of spending three bucks for one-sixth of a story (if that). With gas prices escalating, it makes less and less sense to spend that much on a comic book.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
You know... given that the cartoon is seen by many times more people than ever read the comic, there's a good chance that it'll have far more impact on the future of the Legion any "in-continuity" version.

And that's actually fine with me.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Season Two Spoilers from today's panel.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
btw, kind of glad to see Waid as EIC at Boom Studios. I was worried about him having a supervision role at DC. Ofcourse he was editor during some of my favorite Legion stories.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klordny
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klordny   Author's Homepage   Email Klordny         Edit/Delete Post     
I forgot to pop in here and remind everyone... I'm blogging the SDCC from my kitchen table too over at the Legion Omnicom.

Day 1: animated show news, Countdown, Group Therapy

Day 2: DC/Mattel panel, Batman/Legion shows, DC Nation

Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Outdoor Miner and I talked to both Dennis Calero and Chris Batista for a while today. Chris in particular is a crazy-well versed Legion fan and had all sorts of awesome ideas that he wanted to explore during his run on Legion. Definitely worth picking his brain more later in in this thread here. Outdoor got a wicked Wildfire sketch from Chris that he'll hopefully show/post some time. Dennis said that Tenz has a cool moment in the next issue of Legion and that he's having a lot of fun and would love to keep working on the book past his initially scheduled arc.
From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know about anyone else but with the exception of 2 or 3 good books (Green Lantern, JLA, JSA) I'm probably more dissatisfied with the DCU right now than at any time other than after Zero Hour - when I stopped collecting comics completely for about 2 years. (Until the Reboot Legion pulled me back in funnily enough.)

So in my mind, the best possible scenario for the Legion and everything else in the DCU is a TOTAL and COMPLETE company-wide reboot after 'Final Crisis'. No more bending over backwards to explain that Wonder Woman is a JLA founder, until suddenly she isn't before deciding that actually she is again; or that Jor-el and Lara were happy loving parents to Kal-el before they became cold, emotionless strangers until they were suddenly a little bit of both. Or that this Legion is the DCU's future. No wait this one is. Or this one. It's all just a mess.

I seriously doubt they would actually do something that bold though. Not with all the new storylines they have coming up and the comic numberings being so high. But if they are going to reboot or deboot or anythingboot something - pleeeeeeeeeease let it be the Legion!

I'm sorry to the fans of this version but I find it to be incomprehensibly awful and I have serious trouble understanding how anyone could think any different.

The book still sells a fairly decent number though so I'm sure there must be those who do so. More than who would buy a partially debooted Crisis-era Legion? I doubt it. But I'm not sure that's really the answer either.

I think the only hope this book has is, yes, another reboot.
* Start all over.
* Forget all the weak and uninspired changes Waid and Kitson made to the Legion mythos and take it back to its roots.
* Use top name creators (there's enough of them out there who've expressed an interest in this book).
* Give us characters we care about and stories that excite us.
* Keep the fundamentals of the book as close to its recognisable and proven Adventure/70s/Levitz eras set-up and spin new stories from there.
* Batman/JLA/Teen Titans/etc have all stayed their strongest over the years when they stuck to the formula that the readers want to see from them - the Legion needs to do the same.
* The Reboot Legion actually had this formula SOOOOOooo right until Waid left and PMS started writing the book for 5 year-olds. (What happened to THAT Mark Waid?)

I know nearly everyone would probably be burned out by yet another Legion reboot (maybe even me included), thus doing one for just the Legion would probably be franchise suicide. That's why it's my opinion that the whole DCU needs to be rebooted letting this team's 4th reboot be an acceptable occurrence going along with that.

For the Legion to LIVE, the DCU must DIE! (How's that for a tagline? [Wink] )

[ July 28, 2007, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: Blacula ]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Blacula, if they just reboot everything again? Well I'm with you with Wonder Woman and Superman, etc.

Heck I'm with you about JSA, GL, and JLA being their best three titles by far.

But I just think another reboot will hurt. They just had a sublte reboot it seems. Superman suddently has a new origin and no one one knows it. And it's probably much like his old origin.

Didio said something that I like but scares me. He wants to put forth the best known variation of each character. That sounds good for Superman/Wonder Woman. But what about Hawkman/girl or the Legion? Scary.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

MEL, that sounds awesome! Didn't know Batista was such a Legion fan! You gotta spill the beans about some of his ideas.
Paul Newell
In Bismoll We Trust

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Newell   Email Paul Newell         Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone see this?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=11396

quote:
Gary Frank will be on "Action Comics," which was likened to "going back to your old home town and finding that the people you knew don't hang out anymore," Didio said. Three versions of the Legion are to appear in this series.
http://www.newsarama.com/Comic-Con_07/DC/DCU_NewWorlds.html

quote:
DiDio then turned attention towards an Action Comics image by Gary Frank of Superman with a Legion flight ring. Johns said it's about Superman going into the future to visit the Legion of Super-Heroes, and equating it to revisiting people you knew in high school and seeing that they changed in unexpected ways.

--------------------
Paul Newell
Titan President

From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Thanks Paul. I didn't know three different versions were going to appear in Action!?
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.