Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Legion news at SDCC... (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Legion news at SDCC...
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Asked at the DC "Big Guns" panel according to http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php

quote:
Will Superman take on any contemporary political or social issues in the near future?" Johns said "He'll take on some in the 31st century in October."

We previously learned that the Lightning Saga Legion fights separatism and xenophobia in the future. While the kids vs. adults premise obviously won't apply to them, the galactic socio-political backdrop seems to be as important to the LS Legion as it is to the WaK Legion, and may be a clue why Superman is persona non grata in the 31st century. It's implied his name is mud -- maybe oldtime super-heroism isn't valued by their society, either. Possibly something even darker and more depressing. It's clearly not going to be a "happy" take on the Legion, in any event.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Heck, maybe one of his decendants (Laurel Kent?!!!) turns out to be a super villain and destroys the family name! [Wink]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Newell
In Bismoll We Trust

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Newell   Email Paul Newell         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Thanks Paul. I didn't know three different versions were going to appear in Action!?

Neither did I, Jorge. That was the only place I saw it mentioned...Until I checked out Michael's Legion Omnicom this morning and saw this:
quote:
One new item from IGN's coverage of DC Nation panel: "There are really three Legion of Superheroes. Batman will meet this third version."

--------------------
Paul Newell
Titan President

From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
So maybe I get to see reboot Vi again. Cool! [Smile]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

According to the Wizard report of the DC Nation panel, Geoff Johns hesitated a bit when he was asked the question.
quote:
How many versions of the Legion of Super-Heroes are floating around? Johns’ answer was “Two...well, really three”.
Maybe it's really 2.5 Legions. One is kind of halfassed.
From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
i dunno. i'm bored by the continuity questions and would rather just get some content. some meat on those bones. remember when the TMK 5 year gap got hijacked by having to give up Mon-El for Valor and we got Laurel Gand and Comet Kid, changed to Kid Quantum, and many storylines explaining the differences in continuity. UGH. that does not attract new readers. as soon as you play that game of trying to placate the old fanbase, you lose.

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Good point, GN. Good stories can absolve a wealth of continuity sins.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariscub
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariscub   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
i dunno. i'm bored by the continuity questions and would rather just get some content. some meat on those bones. remember when the TMK 5 year gap got hijacked by having to give up Mon-El for Valor and we got Laurel Gand and Comet Kid, changed to Kid Quantum, and many storylines explaining the differences in continuity. UGH. that does not attract new readers. as soon as you play that game of trying to placate the old fanbase, you lose.

I hear you, but the problem is,the old fan base seems to be the only ones buying the book. None of the subsequent reboots has been a commercial success.

And when you look at DC in the past few years, what have they done?... the brought back classic characters from the 60s like Hal Jordan or Adam Strange and brethed new life in them. So if I were DC, I would attempt the same with LSH as it worked for others before.
As for continuity, with the "Infinite Crisis" and "New Earth" (not the 5YL version), we could have the best of both worlds: the classic Legion without the burden of continuity for new readers, without having to invalidate too much of what happened before for the fanbase.

--------------------
Ze Frainch Legion fan

From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Newell
In Bismoll We Trust

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Newell   Email Paul Newell         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
According to the Wizard report of the DC Nation panel, Geoff Johns hesitated a bit when he was asked the question.
quote:
How many versions of the Legion of Super-Heroes are floating around? Johns’ answer was “Two...well, really three”.
Maybe it's really 2.5 Legions. One is kind of halfassed.
Heh. [Smile]

I dunno, from the hesitation I got the feeling it was more whether he should reveal the reboot Legion was still out there or not, but then decided it was pointless to keep it a secret.

--------------------
Paul Newell
Titan President

From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

You're probably right but I couldn't resist. [Smile]

Putting together all the teasers, the bigger picture is certainly becoming clearer.

Legion of Three Worlds? (partially speculative)

1. Lightning Saga Legion
(Confirmed in JSA #6. The solicitation for Action #858, and writer Geoff Johns, referred to it as "the original Legion".)

2. An unspecified Legion that is widely believed to be, or to closely resemble, the post-Zero Hour Legion last seen on Earth-247 in Infinite Crisis #6. Starman's ramblings name XS and two other "Thoms". According to an SDCC teaser from Dan Didio, Conner Kent may be in one of the Legions, and this version seems the most probable one.

(Some speculation has the former Earth-247 Legion on Kingdom Come Earth-22, where Starman was trapped for a time before his first apppearance in JSA. The 1996 Kingdom Come LSH, according to the Waid/Ross annotations, was very similar to the post-ZH Legion, with the notable additions of a Superboy and Supergirl who were not the pre-Crisis originals. It should also be noted that Geoff John's next major JSA arc involves the Kingdom Come Superman, a fact that lends some credence to this hypothesis.)

3. 3boot/post-IC Legion
(Confirmed at SDCC as one of the two Legions that Batman has met. The meeting in question is depicted by Mark Waid in "The Brave & the Bold" #5, which takes place before Batman encounters members of the Lightning Saga Legion in the JLA/JSA crossover. Previously stated/assumed to be the New Earth Legion and the future of the DCU, particularly because of Supergirl's presence in their century, their actual home universe is presently uncertain. The as yet unrevealed New Earth-1 is one of many possibilities.)

Unless I'm reading it wrong, the implication seems to be there are *only* three Legions in the Multiverse. If this is true, I'm kind of disappointed. I have no interest in seeing other previous continuities (TMK) or elseworlds versions (Superboy's Legion) again, but I'd love the chance to see some *new* Legions that never existed before.

[ July 31, 2007, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Tromium ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
well, just because this 'crisis' only involves three doesn't mean there are only three.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
It depends on what "floating around" means. I assume Johns was taking it to mean either "How many Legions have we seen in recent stories?" or "How many Legions are there plans for?" then the answer is, presumably, two for the former question and three for the latter. If it means "How many Legions are there in the multiverse?", I doubt there's an established answer to that question. From what I understand, they've only planned out about half the 52 worlds thus far.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Newell
In Bismoll We Trust

quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
Unless I'm reading it wrong, the implication seems to be there are *only* three Legions in the Multiverse. If this is true, I'm kind of disappointed. I have no interest in seeing other previous continuities (TMK) or elseworlds versions (Superboy's Legion) again, but I'd love the chance to see some *new* Legions that never existed before.

At this point in time I think it's more three Legions that we know of.

I think its still a possibility that there are other versions of the Legion out there....Just ones we haven't seen as yet. According to the latest issue of Countdown, a lot of the other worlds are based on the most popular Elseworlds titles. My guess would be that one of those will turn out to be the Earth that appeared in "JLA: The Nail". And wasn't there a Superboy's Legion tie-in or cameo in the sequel?

My guess is they will try and do the same thing with the TMK Legion as well....Find a suitable story, with similar overtones and create a "world" of several stories that don't upset each other's continuity too much.

--------------------
Paul Newell
Titan President

Paul Newell
In Bismoll We Trust

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
From what I understand, they've only planned out about half the 52 worlds thus far.

It's been mentioned by Dan Didio that they have all 52 Earths planned out....They just haven't revealed all of them yet.

--------------------
Paul Newell
Titan President

Kryptaku
Jay-El

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kryptaku   Email Kryptaku         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
FromNewsarama:

quote:
DiDio pointed to an audience member dressed up as Krypto (and by extension, the character's lingering popularity) as an example that people still care about older ideas in the DC Universe.
Could that have been our own Kryptaku?
Yep, that was me. And man, let me tell ya, walking around all day in what amounts to a full body sweater with a hood, in the dead of summer ... little unpleasant.

The things I do for my love of the Super Pets

From: Maryland | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.