Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Lardy's Roundtable: What must Levitz do to ensure Long Life for the Legion? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  68  69  70   
Author Topic: Lardy's Roundtable: What must Levitz do to ensure Long Life for the Legion?
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
What? Wasn't RJ in the LSH origin story that appeared mid-to-late Adventure run?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd agree with that matlock, it really did bring R.J. back into the limelight.

And the Omega 2 parter by Starlin was awesome! Wildfire and Superboy standing in the rubble of their HQ was "the" definitive Legion moment, and said something about both these young men's characters. Thanks for the reminder Cobie!

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
What? Wasn't RJ in the LSH origin story that appeared mid-to-late Adventure run?

If memory serves Lardy, R.J. was introduced during Adventure Comics run (around #350) as their rich benefactor, but their origin as a team (saving his life) was never told until the 1970s (I believe it was in DC Super-Stars #17).

--------------------
Craig C.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmmm.....maybe I need something to sway me one way or the other: exactly how many issues of the approximately 40 we're talking about did Conway write?

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Most of them actually. Starlin did the Omega storyline. There were occasional fill ins, like Demattius on the Mayavale story. Roy Thomas comes in for Reflecto and is quickly replaced by Levitz. Pretty much everything else is Conway.

One word of warning in case you do decide to pick them up. Avoid the Space Circus storyline. Conway and the Legion at an all time low. League of Super Assasins is probably Conway and Staton's best effort. The Superboy solo in Smallville sections of the trip back to Krypton story play to Staton's strenghts. Things pick up quite a bit when Janes replaces Staton

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Omni Craig:
quote:

If memory serves Lardy, R.J. was introduced during Adventure Comics run (around #350) as their rich benefactor, but their origin as a team (saving his life) was never told until the 1970s (I believe it was in DC Super-Stars #17).
The founders are shown saving Brande in Superboy #147 from 1968. The DC Super Stars story expands on that and tells how they got deputized by the Science Police and could function as law enforcement officials.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
This was the period where I actually dropped the Legion from my reading list. The only time in my life that I refused to buy the Legion, btw. I've since filled in the gap with comics from overstock sales and the infamous "quarter box" but I almost never read them. (the completist thing)

There was hardly a book on the shelves worth reading at the time and I almost stopped buying comics altogether. Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that Frank Miller was hired to do Daredevil or my comics collection would have ended right there.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Thanks Jerry, I remember that issue Superboy issue now! [Smile]

--------------------
Craig C.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Ahem...

quote:
Well, yeah...but [Superboy] does return soon, albeit fairly rarely. What was the reason he left, anyway (other than [the editorial reason] to give the LSH the spotlight alone, obviously)?

...still waiting for this answer, by the way! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Omni Craig
Advisor

He left to give the LSH the spotlight, as you assumed.

It was S/LSH #258 and LSH #259, and the Legion fought the Psycho-Warrior. He could make you see your worst nightmare, and Superboy's was to discover how his loved ones died. He couldn't cope with the pain of knowing this information. Saturn Girl planted a post-hypnotic suggestion that he never return to the 30th century for his own good. Basically he remembers their adventures while he is in the 30th century but when he returns home to Smallville the details get fuzzy (to prevent his knowledge of the future from affecting his actions & behavior on present day activities). As long as he stayed in the 20th century, he wouldn't remember how they would die.

--------------------
Craig C.

reckless
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reckless   Email reckless         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
One word of warning in case you do decide to pick them up. Avoid the Space Circus storyline. Conway and the Legion at an all time low.

For some reason, I always have had a soft spot for the Space Circus issues. I know they are ridiculously cheesy, but having the Legionnaires undercover as circus stars gave a few good moments.

Somebody mentioned the development of Timber Wolf during this period. I really liked the take on him being very spartan and isolated in 30th century civilization. One of my disappointments with Levitz's run was that he completely abandoned this aspect of Timber Wolf's personality.

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Based on your original conditions, I'd say fugedaboudit. The only things that happened that stuck were Blok, and RJ as Cham's dad. There were some decent character moments, but not a lot.

The art was only okay. A handful of Perez covers were better than all of the era's interior pages. Staton and Janes were only okay, IMO. Ditko's stories were like novelties.

That said, I'm a completist. I have all the sequential issues from the Archives til today. I'm only missing guest apps here and there. It bugs me to not know the little things that the characters have been through, let alone major skirmeshes. So there you have 2 different answers, Lardy.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
Jimmy Janes art may have been good, but it suffered from atrocious inking up until his last few issues. IMHO they're not worth reprinting in a trade paperback much less an Archive.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

If you are considering collecting the issues from this time period, don't forget the "Secrets of the Legion of Super-Heroes" three issue mini-series that came out then also! I'd say it is a must even if you don't complete the pre-boot series. [Smile]

--------------------
Craig C.

Paul Newell
In Bismoll We Trust

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Newell   Email Paul Newell         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by googoomuck:
Jimmy Janes art may have been good, but it suffered from atrocious inking up until his last few issues. IMHO they're not worth reprinting in a trade paperback much less an Archive.

I just finished reading the latest Essential Avengers and I get to the issue just before Giant-Size Avengers #4...I'm thinking who did the art, it's atrocious. It sorta looks like it was pencilled by George Tuska, who usually does a god workman-like job, but I can't really tell. I flip to the credits and, of course, it's inked by Frank Chiaramonte.

--------------------
Paul Newell
Titan President

From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  68  69  70   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.