Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Museum of Legion Arts: The Post-Boot Original Legionnaires Wing (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Museum of Legion Arts: The Post-Boot Original Legionnaires Wing
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
COOL FIGURES!!!!!!!

did you sculpt them yourself? (i'm assuming you did)....and what did you use?.....too cool, way too cool [Smile]

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks Dedman. Welcome to the Board and let me say excellent work on your manips.

For the most part, my figures are pieces of other figures that I've cut up and epoxied back together to give the illusion that I want. There are some elements of my custom figure that I've sculpted myself... boot cuffs, bracers, Cos' shoulder things, some hair, and the like. The only body parts I've sculpted from scratch are Gates' and Tellus' heads.

For fine detail work, I like to use Super Sculpey or Premo. These are PVC clays that cure when you heat them. They're not sticky to work with which is why they are good for details. The drawback is that even when they are cured, they are still easily damaged.

Recently I've started using products like Kneadatite and Magic Sculp. These are 2-part epoxie clays that cure to be very hard. Kneadatite is a little more flexible when cured, but they both are excellent products. The problem with these two are that they are very sticky to work with and you only have about an hour or two of working time before they start to cure. They're still sandable once cured, but they both provide alot more strength than the heat cured clays.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loser Lad
Stressed

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loser Lad   Email Loser Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's Cru's Kinetix colored...

Click for fullsize image

--------------------
The LMB Archives

From: The Loser Cave | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! That turned out great, Lou!

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loser Lad
Stressed

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loser Lad   Email Loser Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks! It was fun. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out too.

--------------------
The LMB Archives

From: The Loser Cave | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roxy
Misfit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxy           Edit/Delete Post     
She's pretty.
From: Misfits Music | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! Amazing work, everyone!

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
nice colours loser.
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
I forgot about my Monstress figure, I believe she qualifies for this wing of the museum:

Click for fullsize image

[ August 03, 2007, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: minesurfer ]

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loser Lad
Stressed

That she does!

Interesting choice to paint her in her original She-Hulk ripoff green-skinned appearance. Was this done before her look changed or did you just prefer that look for her?

Love your customs by the way, but I believe I've told you that before.

--------------------
The LMB Archives

minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Don't fret it Ded. You can really never hear that enough. [Smile]

I finished Monstress in the Spring of 2004 so basically I could have gone with any look. I went with the green skin, basically because that's how I remember her. Orange seemed like change for change's sake in the comics. Not only that, but when Coipel got a hold of her, he made her a little too simian for my tastes. I wanted her to be muscular, bright, feminine, and thick, but not ape-y.

Usually when I'm in a dilemma on which paint scheme, I tend to go with first appearance looks as far as the reboot goes. With Monstress here, orange can be a pain in the rear to paint... acryllically speaking of course. Green seems to cover and look better in general. The only color I dislike painting more than orange is yellow. It can take upto six or seven coats to get it looking right.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

Loser Lad
Stressed

Cool. As far as Monstress goes though, I don't think the change was for change's sake (though it was played off that way in-continuity), but more to avoid being sued by Marvel for appropriating one of their copyrighted characters!

Anyhow, I hear you about certain colors being more troublesome to work with than others. I find the same thing when doing my coloring. Can't stand working with red. It doesn't look right when shading, and it gets really messed up by jpeg compression when saving. I usually color all my red layers in blue, which takes shading much better, and then change the color with a hue/saturation adjustment layer after I'm done to make it look red. That's how I did all the reds on the Thunder pics I colored here, and most of the the pics I've colored in my Gallery. Much easier to "cheat" in Photoshop than with real paint! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The LMB Archives

Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

quote:
Originally posted by minesurfer:
With Monstress here, orange can be a pain in the rear to paint... acryllically speaking of course. Green seems to cover and look better in general. The only color I dislike painting more than orange is yellow. It can take upto six or seven coats to get it looking right.

I do my painting in acrylic too and i find i have the same problem with yellow too (as well as oranges and reds) However I've found using a base coat of Ivory helps the paint show up as its meant to much easier. Hope this helps
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Interesting technique loser, never thought of trying something like that before....i'll give it a go next time i'm having a shading problem
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
Reboot did a really sweet version of this one but I had this almost complete so I'll drop it into this thread anyway.

Wasn't that one, it was the other one with her in that costume/with the Eye. I DID do a quickie version of that one once upon a time a year ago, but I don't know what I did with it.
Found it when I was looking for something else there, and since I mentioned it... (bear in mind this was done over a year ago (on the 10th of August 2003 according to the "File Created" date) in about 5mins during a chat just to show off the colour scheme I was thinking of, and no more)

http://picsupload.ic24.net/KinetixesEyeColouredQuickly.jpg

[ December 18, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.