Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » "Omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis" - 52 days after INVASION (Page 17)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: "Omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis" - 52 days after INVASION
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     

Bat-Fem thinks frantically as time starts running out. She looks at Seth, still struggling with the living shadow. She observes Kalla and Jada wresting. Can Kalla stop this? If so, how do you coerce a fanatic into countering the one thing she wants most? Maybe if she can reach Clark, he can fly the thing out of here with his Kryptonian powers. But could she reach him in time? Then, there's that force shield surrounding this bunker...how could she even get to Clark through the shield and extricate him from that brawl he's in with so little time remaining?

She looks at the counter...

Then Bat-Fem remembers something and removes an item from her utility belt. An LMB flight ring. Shady's. She removed the ring from Shady's finger even as she administered Shady the anti-venim for the snakebite. At the time she felt a little guilty removing it, but thought it might come in handy. Now, a germ of a plan unfolds in Bat-Fem's mind.

Bat-Fem suddenly barrels past the four combatants and charges up the flight of stairs.

Nightcrawler still lies there, now moaning softly, his left hand still phased into the wall. Seeing her, he manages a, "Wha--?"

Methodically, Bat-Fem removes two syringes from her utility belt, one containing adrenaline, the other an anaesthetic. She injects the adrenaline into his neck, and the anaesthetic into his left forearm.

"There's no time to explain, Kurt," she says to him while tightening a tourniquet near where she injected the anaesthetic, "but I need you if Legion World is to survive."

He nods as she picks up his dropped rapier and raises it above her head. She brings it down with sufficient force to sever his forearm below the tourniquet.

"AAAHHHHGGG!" he screams, but as much as it hurts, the anaesthetic and adrenaline take much of the edge off.

Helping him up, they stumble down the stairs and dodge the flailing combatants. When they reach the bomb, Bat-Fem glances at the counter.

Looking Nightcrawler directly in his glowing yellow eyes, she says, "Kurt, I need you to teleport us and the bomb as high up into Legion World atmosphere as you can manage!"

"J-ja," he agrees, and they both touch the bomb.

"NOOO!" Kalla screams, seeing what they have planned. But Jada holds her back.

Bat-Fem makes brief eye-contact with Seth, then focusses on Jada. Bat-Fem mouths, "goodbye", and then...

BAMF!

...suddenly Bat-Fem and Nightcrawler are miles above Legion World's surface.

"Please, give this to Jada," Bat-Fem whispers to him as she puts something in his remaining hand. Then, she lets go and puts all her will into Shady's flight ring.

Nightcrawler grasps the object she gave him, but begins to freefall as all his strength has left him. Tears flow from his yellow, pupil-less eyes. Tumbling to his apparent death, he whispers, "Al-alf wiedersehen..."

Bat-Fem's will proves strong indeed. Within seconds her transuit activates, and she breaks Legion World's atmosphere.

She glances at the counter...

...and pushes her will that much harder. She's got to get this bomb as far away as possible to be absolutely sure no harm befalls the world below. She could let go of it now, letting the momentum built up carry it the rest of the way and possibly save herself, but she knows that carrying it herself and pushing her will further will put more distance between the bomb and Legion World. So she presses on, hoping the time left will be enough.

It was a good life, she thinks. I got to be with my Tony again before we died. And there are worse ways to go than this!

BOOOOOM!

Bat-Fem opens her eyes and sees a bright light. But the light doesn't hurt at all. It's...comforting.

Ahead, she can make out some figures coming toward her. And to her left, she notices, there is a cloaked man next to her.

"I am the Phantom Stranger," he says. "Welcome to your reward!"

Tears stream down her eyes as she recognizes those coming toward her. Her sister, Dru. Her Earth's Cobalt Kid and Loser Lad, as well as its Jada. Many others long gone. But behind them...

"Tony!" she cries as she sees her husband. But all those horrible scars are gone; he's as beautiful as he was the day she married him. Husband and wife embrace as all their departed loved ones surround them. Together, they all move into the light source.

"And so," the Stranger whispers, watching with his penetrating eyes as they disappear into the Light, "the Source has reclaimed the last of its souls on this day." He waves his hand, and Nightcrawler suddenly feels a burst of energy within him. Grasping Bat-Fem's gift, he concentrates on a specific destination, and bamfs out of one dangerous situation back to another.

[ January 28, 2007, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: LARDLAD ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
A bunker beneath the Dark Oval Embassy

BAMF!

Nightcrawler returns to the scene to find Seth still held in check by Wrath and Kalla straddling Jada and about to deal an apparent killing blow, her fist aglow with energy.

"Nein!" Nightcrawler yells and runs toward Kalla and Jada. Kalla suspends her blow to see where the cry came from. But before she can fully comprehend what's happening, he has already arrived and delivers a powerful right cross square on her nose. She falls backward and loses consciousness.

"I don't normally hit ladies," he says to Kalla's unconscious form, "but you don't really qualify, do you?"

"Mistress!" Wrath cries and loosens his grip slightly on Seth.

It's the opening Seth has been waiting for. The sudden slack Wrath gives enables Seth, in one fluid motion, to remove the glove from his right hand and make contact on his opponent's mercurial form. Wrath manages to let out a scream before Seth's nimbus disintegrates him. Seth's 'children' feast well indeed.

Jada gets up gingerly with help from Nightcrawler. "Mordra...she's..gone?" she asks.

Suddenly overwhelmed with emotion, Nightcrawler's only response is to embrace Jada tightly, his whole body trembling as he cries. Tears well in Jada's eyes as well, but her focus right now is to try to comfort him instead.

Long moments later, he breaks the embrace and opens his fist, unclenching it for the first time since Bat-Fem put something there.

"She...she wanted you to have this," he says to Jada, and she takes it. Staring at the object, she realizes it's a pass-key.

"But what is the key to?" she wonders aloud.

But suddenly, a commotion is heard from the stairway. Seth, Nightcrawler and Jada steel themselves for the worst, but are pleasantly surprised to see the faces are friendly ones. The Rockhoppers, Jailbait Lass, Helena Handbasket, Clark Marlowe and even Hummer Lass and a revived Shady, along with Nova Girl and all the rest. Behind them swarm in a number of field medics who take a particular interest in Nightcrawler's injury.

"Get the de-phaser!" one medic shouts. "We can unphase this forearm out of the wall and have a shot at reattaching it to Nightcrawler's arm."

Nightcrawler smiles at that, then faints. All the trauma has caught up to him.

"I've got his forearm!" another medic shouts gleefully.

"Let's get him to the medcenter STAT!" the lead medic commands.

And within moments Nightcrawler is evacked out of the bunker.

The others remain in the bunker where they mingle sharing war stories and receive medical attention for various injuries. Together, they have overcome the odds and defeated the remaining 52.

Soon, Shady, Clark and Hummer Lass make their way to Jada.

"Where's Bat-Fem?" Hummer Lass asks the taciturn Jada.

Looking up at them, Jada's tears come out full-force. Her reply: "She...she gave her life. She saved us all!"

Within moments all four seek tearful solace in each other's arms.

[ January 29, 2007, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: LARDLAD ]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Legion World, Medicus Two

The medics and staff swarmed in and out of various rooms, attempting to finally reach a point where everyone who had been hurt or injured in the attack on Legion World was in stable condition. And they were getting closer to their goal, no matter what the continuous string of odd visitors, intense moments and close calls brought. But in one section of the hospital, they all gave some specific leeway in letting the heroes that were visiting do pretty much anything they wanted without being told to get out of the way. For afterall, these were the heroes that had saved Legion World from disaster—or, in truth, what was left of them.

In the room housing Nightcrawler, the founder of Legion World and a true hero of the LMB, a small group gathered now, feeling the camaraderie of having gone through hell and coming out the other side, and in the process saving everything and everyone they held dear. Or close to it. Gathered around Nightcrawler’s bed were Shadowplay in Candlelight Lass, Hummer Lass, Jada, Seth Gaterra, Helena Handbasket, Clark Marlowe, Jailbait Lass, Nova Girl, Time Boy, Stoopid Cat, Rockhopper Lass, Rockhopper Lad and Matlock. They were all strangely quiet, feeling both the sting of sadness over all the was lost, and the feeling of warmth and happiness that comes in knowing that something great was accomplished.

Finally, Matlock looked up. “Well, Legion Worlders…” he smiled, “…you did good. You should be proud.”

Rockhopper Lad smiled, first looking at Rockhopper Lass and then them all. “Most of you aren’t members of the LMB, but you’ve been true friends to us for a long time,” he said, holding his sister’s hand and squeezing it, “I’ve never felt more proud of any group of people in my life. Thank you,” he said.

“I think what he means,” Seth said, looking at Helena, “is that you’ve made amends now,” he said with a smile.

Helena had the same stoic look on her face she always did, but it subtly began to melt away into a smile as she looked back on him. There was a tremendous amount of relief in her eyes, and the guilt she felt visibly began to lessen.

Nova Girl smiled too and then turned to Clark. “I assume you’re going to be writing a story about this in the late edition?” she asked, somewhat sarcastically.

But her words, although joking, did not have the intended effect. “I am,” he replied, quietly, and they knew in a second that he was thinking about Bat-Fem.

Jada put her hand on Clark’s shoulder and he turned to her. “We’re all going to miss her,” said Jada. “I hardly knew her, but in those moments that I did…I felt she was like a true sister to me…”

Hummer Lass wiped a tear from her eyes, and backed away so she would remain unnoticed. These last few weeks had been an emotional rollercoaster for her and she felt an intense sadness. But Shady saw her and put her arm around her, holding her tight. “You’re among friends Pru,” she said softly, “and you can let it out. Its alright now…it will be alright.”

And then suddenly Jailbait Lass spoke up for the first time, approaching Jada, whom she never had the chance to talk to. Jailbait Lass, although quiet, seemed sure of herself and confident, as if she finally seemed at piece. “We have all lost a great deal in these last few weeks,” she said, “some more so than others,” she continued. “But we’ve all gained a great deal too, whether through experience or just a realization that we are not alone out there in the world. Things change constantly, but we can hang on to our memories and we can move forward.” Jailbait Lass smiled now and hugged Jada, and Jada hugged her back.

Jada looked at Nightcrawler and Shady who was directly to his right, and Rockhopper Lad and Matlock, who were on his left. “Shady,” she said quietly. “Perhaps you could say a prayer…for all those that we lost? And for Legion World?”

Shady looked at them all, finally landing on Nightcrawler, who nodded to her. “I think it would be fitting,” he said, as he held out his recently reattached hand to her, and she grasped it.

The all held hands now, and were silent, as Shady began to softly say a prayer for all those that had fallen and all those who made a great sacrifice. And most of all, for all that they had done these things for, and for all the dreams that made sacrifice a worthy and powerful thing. Her words were beautiful although brief, and none in the room ever forgot them. Jada cried softly, as Jailbait Lass did too, and even Clark and others sniffled. Even Helena, as strong as any of them, was moved by those words.

Shady began to conclude…”Who we are and why we are here ultimately comes down to one thing in this lifetime: the decisions that we make. Will we stand up for what we believe in, and dream things beyond ourselves? Will we stay true to ourselves and our dreams, and stay true to our friends and our loved ones? It was these decisions that allowed sacrifices to be made, and give us reason to continue on in to the future. God Bless all those that we lost,” she finished, “and God bless us all too.”

“Amen,” they all said softly.

Deep Space, Fleet of LMB Cruisers

Making their way home through space aboard a variety of LMB cruisers, and some flying in space itself, the LMB crossed through the universe to return ultimately to Legion World. They were all there among the group, all ready to return to their lives, victorious over a great enemy. They were united and they were strong.

But they had now heard the story of the battle on Legion World, and of the bravery and courage of those that were not even members of the LMB—but displayed the valor and the heroism that each LMBer hoped to strive for everyday. And they knew of the sacrifice and the pain that each had endured defending Legion World in the LMB’s absence.

“It almost doesn’t seem right,” said Faraway Lad said to a small cluster of LMBers aboard one of the ships. “We were absent and so many citizens and innocents were forced to defend our home for us,” he added. The majority of the LMB felt this sense of melancholy.

“It isn’t right,” replied Kid Prime. “But despite all the horror in the universe, and all the suffering, I don’t think I’ve ever been more proud of the citizens of Legion World than I am now, at the tail end of its darkest moments. I’ve never felt a stronger sense of privilege to be returning to my home than I do now. I only hope that we continue to serve Legion World, being its protectors, as bravely as its everyday citizens do. They have given us an example of what heroism truly means—and we will never forget it.”

THE END

Epilogues to follow…

[ August 29, 2008, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Cobaltus Primus Augustus ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Non Sequitor closed the book, looked up, and smiled.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

EPILOGUES SECTION I: ONE WEEK LATER

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

1: A Farewell to the Fallen

Nightfall. Above the rubble of the former Dark Oval Embassy, a platform stands. Surrounding it in the streets of Embassy Row and filling out the balconies and open windows of neighboring embassies are thousands of sentients. Every single sentient present holds a single lit taper. Their flames create a tapestry as majestic as that of the stars themselves. They are here to honor those that sacrificed their own lives so that they, and this very world, may persevere.

They stand in silence comtemplating this great gift and remain so as Lightning Lad, co-founder of this artificial bastion of freedom, takes the stand.

"Fellow Legion World citizens," he begins, "we have come here this night to mourn and celebrate the lives given freely and selflessly last week to avert a crisis that would have destroyed us and our home if not for their heroism. It was, perhaps, Legion World's greatest challenge ever, and we have come through stronger than ever before. Let us now hear the names of all the lives lost, so that we may reflect on them and know that none of their names will be forgotten..."

Tirelessly, Lightning Lad begins to read the names of every single citizen who had fallen during the assault of the 52 and the attack of Sol Invictus. No name is given more importance than the one before it. Legion World has heard all of their stories over the past week and knows who did what; but all who died are heroes and deserve equal recognition in this ceremony. All of their holos are on display on the streets of Embassy Row, none more prominent than the other.

"...Anthony Taylor, Lard Lad of Earth-4. Hugh Taylor..."

At these names, Legion World's own Lard Lad sobs. The 'villain' who taught him so much about himself. And the 'brother' he loved but was never able to help. In a very real way, two parts of Lardy's own soul died with them. He feels an indescribable emptiness at their loss. But he also feels a deep compulsion within to honor their memories and to make them proud.

Near the back with Shady, Hummer Lass is inconsolable at the mention of Hugh's name. Whether she was mentally compelled to or not, it makes little difference. She killed this poor innocent man, and his death will haunt her the rest of her life.

"...Chloe Lane..."

Dru, holding Lardy's hand tightly, grasps it even tighter at this name. For a brief time Dru had the sister she'd always wanted, and just as quickly, had her taken away. This Mordra who'd taken the civilian name of 'Chloe Lane' and the costumed identity of 'Bat-Fem' was every bit as heroic and noble as her own sister Mordra was evil and manipulative. The tragedy of this suddenly washes over Dru, and she buries her face in her fiance's chest, even as he holds on to her for dear life, trembling with his own grief.

Closer to the podium and standing with Jada Konti, Clark Marlowe mourns the woman he knew as Chloe Lane. She was the best reporter Clark had ever seen, but she was an even greater heroine. He hopes he can find a way to honor her memory properly.

He started doing that, he knows, by honoring a promise she asked him to keep after he joined her and the others in their crusade. "If I die," she said, "don't reveal that I was Bat-Fem, okay?. Trust me, I have my reasons. Promise me!" He did just that. He knows now that keeping a friend's trust is more important than any Galactic Pulitzer could ever be.

For her part, Jada feels a hollowness inside. For a day or so, she had found the best friend she could ever hope for and an inspiration unlike any other, and then she was gone. She looks at the passkey her friend left her and knows that she will be using it to unlock a mystery very soon.

Nightcrawler, standing behind Lightning Lad and back to full health, will never forget Bat-Fem's noble sacrifice. He knows, more than any other, this woman's full nobility.

"...Security Officer Ralph...Security Officer Officer Williamson...Security Officer Cha'Tok..."

Matlock and the other Security Officers stand at attention as the massive loss of life within their junior ranks is listed. They all swell with pride at the outstanding job hese fallen heroes did laying down their lives to give Legion World a chance. They were brave souls and will be very hard to replace indeed.

Standing near the Security Office contingent, but still separate, is former Security Chief and LMBer Cobalt Kid. Flanking him are, to his right, his soulmate Princess Crujectra, and to his left, Jailbait Lass. Cobalt mourns the devastation done to the Office he founded in his own tearless way.

But even moreso, he remembers two names that won't be called during this service, those of his good friends Scipio and Danger Damsel. This service is focused on the Sol Invictus/52 Affair, so their losses are not part of the ceremony. But he will remember them always and miss them often, he knows.

Physically, unable to cry, Cobalt instead closes his eyes and bows his head while Crujectra is overwhelmed by his emotions and effectively cries his tears for him.

Jailbait Lass, however, is resolute. She has found her own inner strength these past weeks. She squeezes Cobalt's left hand firmly, and somehow, feeling her newfound strength radiating through him eases Cobalt's pain.

Not far from Cobalt, stand Helena Handbasket and Seth Gaterra. These two have found comfort in each other which they had never known in their troubled pasts. Helena particularly has struggled with the guilt of having been part of the invading force that set all of these dominoes in motion. But the release of fighting for this world and the friendships she's made have eased her pain considerably. Indeed, both she and Seth begin to feel that they've finally found a home.

Soon, Lightning Lad finishes reading the names of the fallen, and he brings the service to its conclusion.

"Fellow, Legion Worlders, I charge you all with the sacred duty of remembering these people always. If not all their individual names, we must always remember their sacrifices. Never take them for granted, and if necessary, be prepared to make your own sacrifice if we are threatened again."

"Starting tomorrow, the ruins of this tainted embassy will be cleared out completely. In its place will be constructed Peace Gardens, a place of tranquility that will be the centerpiece of Embassy Row, where children will come to play and life will be celebrated. The ideal purpose for embassies is primarily to promote peace and understanding between disparate cultures. What better way to symbolize this ideal than a beautiful, perfect place around which all the embassies are centered? What better way to reimagine and reshape the site of such unimaginable evil?"

"And," he concludes, "the centerpiece of Peace Gardens will be an Eternal Flame, so that we will never forget...our heroes!" And he presses a button that causes a statue to rise from the rubble. It's a tall podium with a bright flame shining atop it and a marker that reads, "Never Forget!" with all of the names of the fallen below it.

Thunderous applause rings from the crowd in response. The feeling is palpable that better times are to come.

[ February 04, 2007, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
2: Transition

A few days later was the day of the Inauguration of the new LMB Leader and Deputy Leader. Kid Marvel and Rockhopper Lad were soon to be sworn in. Thousands of Legion World citizens crowded the Plaza to celebrate the day and witness the change in leadership for their heroes. There had been some talk about postponing the ceremony or making it more private, but Kid Marvel and Rockhopper Lad both insisted it be held on schedule and on the Plaza where all who wanted to could participate. After all, the people of Legion World proved themselves heroic in their own right. They belonged at this celebration and this celebration belonged to them.

The entire membership of the LMB stood closest to the centre of the Plaza. Standing with them were Hummer Lass, Jada Konti, Helena Handbasket, Clark Marlowe, Jailbait Lass, Time Boy, Time Teller Lad and the Super-Pets.

Outgoing Deputy Leader Kent Shakespeare began his remarks. Outgoing Leader Actor Lad would make his after Kent.

As Kent began to speak, Rockhopper Lad, standing to the side with Rockhopper Lass and Hyvvie the Wonder Beagle, surveyed the scene and thought about all they had been through recently. He then thought back to a conversation he had with Kid Marvel the day before at the Rookery:

“So, Rocky, tell me about this new power of yours,” Kid Marvel said.

“Not much to tell. After we escaped from my double, I discovered I had super-breath when I was trying to protect Time Teller Lad from a member of the 52.”

“That can be a very useful power. Even we Marvels don’t have it. How did it manifest itself?”

“I puffed out a breath and there it was. My medical exam didn’t reveal any physical change to my lungs or any other part of my body. It would seem this isn’t physical.”

“And?”

“I had Maxx give me a metaphysical check. I figured a sorcerer could find an answer. He said maybe it’s because I held my breath when I teleported us. The magic focussed on my breath and lungs and expanded what I already had.”

“I’m very impressed.”

“Thank you. I’m still exploring the limits of this power. It’s already come in handy on several occasions. It feels as natural to me as my ice powers do.”

“There’s something else bothering you, though, isn’t there?”

Rockhopper Lad sighed. “Kid Marvel–Joe–I may not be able to serve my term.”

“Excuse me?”

“First, I fled my double. I didn’t try to stay and fight...”

“And if you had, he probably would have put you under his spell.”

“And then there’s the fact that I used magic in a way forbidden to me.”

“Forbidden? You mean your super-breath.”

“No. I don’t think there’s a problem with that.” He paused. “I teleported. That didn’t feel natural to me. The House of Rockhopper only has the ice magic. Only members of the Blue Fairy Clan are allowed to use magic for things like teleportation and the rules they have to follow are so strict that only those in monastic orders ever try it. This could bring shame on the House of Rockhopper. I may even lose my right to succession.”

“Is that a Pyngwyn law?”

“It’s more a part of Pyngwypalia, our religion.”

“Pyngwypalia has lots of rules, does it?”

“I guess it does. Pyngwyn society is very regimented.”

Kid Marvel stroked his hand on his chin. “What would have been the greater sin: teleporting yourselves to safety or allowing yourself and Adelie to become dominated by the Evil Emperor Pyngwyn?”

Rockhopper Lad was silent for a moment. “I see what you mean.”

“Rocky, what do you know of Solomon?”

“He’s the source of your wisdom, right?”

“Yes. What do you know about him?”

“He’s the only one of your benefactors who isn’t a god or demi-god. He was an human king thousands of years ago.”

“Right. Do you know what the wisdom of Solomon tells me right now?”

“I wish I knew.”

“It tells me that a very brave young Pyngwyn did what he had to do to save someone he loves very much. It tells me that he fought temptation. It tells me that he knew better than to throw his lot in with a tyrant.” He placed his hand on Rockhopper Lad’s cheek. “It tells me he is going to make an excellent Deputy Leader. Someone I can trust to lead the LMB in my absence. And someone who will make an excellent Emperor Pyngwyn someday.”

“I guess that means you’re not accepting any resignations.”

“Nope. You’re stuck with the job, Rocky!” Kid Marvel winked.

“Eudyptes!” Rockhopper Lass’ voice broke her “brother”’s reverie. “It’s time.”

The Rockhoppers stepped forward into the very centre of the plaza. Hyvvie stood by Rockhopper Lad’s side. Kent Shakespeare, as outgoing Deputy Leader would administer the Oath of Office.

Rockhopper Lad approached Kent who greeted him with a broad smile. Rockhopper Lass stood between them, holding a copy of The Silver Pyngwyn. Rockhopper Lad placed his left hand on it, raising his right hand in the air, as Kent prompted him in the Oath. Normally, Rockhopper Lad would allow his given name to be transliterated to the more Interlac-friendly “Eudyptes”; however, for his oath, he had chosen to use his full name and title in Pyngwyny:

I, Yy’dyptyyz Krysokom ky Rokk H’por kep D’zant L’yal ky Ollurem’yy Pyngwyny, Rockhopper Lad, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of Deputy Leader of the Legion of Message Board Posters, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the Legion of Message Board Posters and Legion World, so help me Dywh.

There was much cheering and clapping. Rockhopper Lass embraced her “brother”, “Eudyptes, I’m so proud of you!” Kent likewise embraced Rockhopper Lad, “Good job, Rocky, you’ll be great!”

Musing on the length of Rockhopper Lad’s name, Lash Lad whispered to Lad Boy, “Now I know why Rocky doesn’t have monogrammed luggage!”

And then it was Kid Marvel’s turn. He and Marvel Maid came forward and stood before Actor Lad. Marvel Maid held a small piece of the Rock of Eternity upon which Kid Marvel laid his left hand. He then raised his right hand and took his oath:

I, Joe-Boy Harvestar, Kid Marvel, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of Leader of the Legion of Message Board Posters, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the Legion of Message Board Posters and Legion World, so help me Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury.

Actor Lad addressed the crowd, “Gentle Sentients, I present to you the new Leader and Deputy Leader of the Legion of Message Board Posters!”

There was more cheering and shouting. The last several weeks had been a very difficult time for everyone. The LMB had changed. Legion World had changed. Many of the nearby buildings had sustained damage, but that was not reflected in that day’s celebration. It was time for a new beginning: For Rockhopper Lad, for Kid Marvel, for the LMB and for Legion World.

[ February 03, 2007, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Rockhopper Lad ]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

3: Separate Ways

Two hours after the Inauguration, Hummer Lass is in her one-room apartment in Old Town packing all her things.

A knock comes on her door. She doesn't answer. And after a long moment, she hears a...

pop

"Pru?" inquires a familiar voice.

"I was afraid it was you, Lardy," she says solemnly, keeping her back to him.

He takes in the room and realizes what she's doing. "You're leaving?"

"Yes," she answers simply.

"But, why? Pru, I came here to tell you I want to sponsor you for LMB membership! You've gotta stay!"

She turns around and faces him eye to eye, for the first time in months. Her eyes are red with and swollen from continuous crying. "How can you expect me to stay? Don't you know what I've done?"

"Yes, I do," he says evenly, then approaches her and puts his hands on either of her shoulders. "And I know it wasn't your fau--"

"Oh, stop it!" She screams and swats his arms aside. "Everybody is so quick to exonerate me because of Wyandotte's mental powers, but I killed an innocent man, damnit!" Renewed tears burn her already ravaged eyeballs. "And I enjoyed it! I thought I was killing the heartless bastard who rejected my love! I thought i was killing YOU, and, oh gods..it-it felt good!"

Lardy is taken aback by this and says, "I...I knew I hurt you when I rejected you, Pru. But I thought I was sparing you greater pain. I was scared, and I still am, of the terrible things I've done and that I'm capable of doing. You're the last person in the galaxy I'd ever want to hurt, Pru. Though I wanted to be with you desperately, I thought hurting you then would be better than destroying your life irreparably down the road."

"The sad thing, Lardy, is that, even then, I knew on some level that that was exactly what you were doing. But it didn't matter. I went down a self-destructive path, the same one I always go down...turned a few tricks doing what 'Hummer' Lass does...until Wyandotte found me. I found it all to easy to believe he was the 'real' Lardy, the one who would never reject my love, and that you were some vile pretender--who killed people, was jockeying for political ascension and would soon marry one of the galaxy's most notorious villainesses. We determined I would assassinate the pretender and his foul concubine on their wedding day, so the 'true' Lard Lad could take back his rightful place as a galactic hero with me as his wife!"

"One night," she says, her body trembling, "the 'Pretender' happened to cross my path. I was overcome by a mad lust to kill him right then and there. And I...slaughtered him...and bathed in his blood..."

"Please...just stop, Pru...It's more than I can bear..." And he hangs his head, fighting back the red hot tears as hard as he can.

This time it is she who approaches him and embraces him tightly, whispering, "then you know the guilt I'm struggling with, Lardy. I can't bear to be on Legion World any longer."

His head on her shoulder, he asks, "but where--?"

"I'm going with Shady back to her practice on Earth. I..I want to help her help people...and maybe--maybe I'll get the help, I need in the process, too."

"That...sounds good, Pru. I know Shady will take good care of you...like I never could."

"And I hope Dru will take good care of you, too. I...can see the two of you are good for each other."

"Yes...yes we are." And he breaks the embrace. Looking her square in the eyes he asks, "will...I ever see you again?"

Smiling at him, she says, "somehow, I think you will."

Overwhelmed with emotion, he succumbs to the urge to kiss her. She kisses him back. A moment later, their lips reluctantly part.

"Goodbye Pru--I...I'll miss you."

"Goodbye, Lardy..."

And with a pop, he's gone. Just like that.

"...I love you, too," she whispers.

And the next day, she's gone. And history will show that she never will set foot on Legion World again.

[ February 04, 2007, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

4: The Streets of Legion World

“Well, the Taltarian Picket Line has finally desisted,” said Tamper Lad with a ‘hmmph’ to Caliente. “I figured the spring rains would drive them out.”

“Don’t be foolish Tamper,” said a voice, as he and Caliente turned to see Nova Girl walking with a contingent of Taltarian female warriors. “They simply have better things to do, including Thora. If some of those things happen to be the insistence that the Evil Supper Genius Club be taxed extra to make way for universal medical care not only for pregnant females on Legion World—but the entire United Planets, then well, I guess that’s something you’ll find out in time…”

Nova Girl moved on and Tamper Lad fumed, while Caliente had a laugh.

Not far away, a few others walked by, as Liberty Monkey led Lonestar Ranger and Kid Gender Stereotype Reversal II. “As I said officer, you should be able to find Eryk Davis Ester up around this corner, as he is most likely viewing the Super Playground of Space he donated many years ago…”

“He better be there Monkey…if I have to hear you speak anymore…”

“Great Rao!” said KGSR II, “I’m going to kill Eryk for this! Stuck with these two for days trying to find him, but he’s never in one place…”

Not far off, Varalent laughed to himself, as he shrunk EDE back to normal size. “There you go Eryk, they’re too far away now,”

“Jeepers Vee! Thanks! I hate to do that to Calamity—er, Liberty Monkey, but KGSR II is pretty mad at me!” Vee laughed, glad to help his friend. “What about you, Vee? What’s next?”

Vee thought about it for a second, and remembered all that had happened in the last few months all of the pain he had been through. He flashed back to earlier, when Cobalt Kid and Reboot sought him out before the big battle and interrupted his mission. He talked with Cobie on the way to the battle, knowing Cobie had been through similar experiences, and before he knew it, the two were laughing like old times. ‘It might be time to restart some of those old parties that the Festive Five used to throw at the Villa’ Cobie laughed, and Vee remembered adding ‘well, we better start at SHAKES and dust off the old triple antique marine varnished doors’. Vee smiled. “A little of the same old,” he said, ready to get the Villa and SHAKES back up and running, “but there are always new adventures around the corner, literally and figuratively,” he smiled, adding, “…and I can’t wait for them.”

Down the street around Statue Way more towards Future Road, Space Tart had similar thoughts, as she bid farewell to a motley crew of travelers: Captain Lightbulb, M’Baku the Sciene-Gorilla and Turns You into a Planet Fred—the last of which still seemed to maintain some semblance of that massive power. “Do you think you’ll really keep all that power, Fred?” she asked with a giggle, “its so manly!”

“Well, I don’t know,” he said with a smile, “…but I’ll tell you, I finally had my chance to step up in the big leagues…and well, now I know what people mean when they say they need a vacation! So old Gorilla-breath over here is taking me with him,” he smiled as M’Baku moaned over Fred’s not so funny joke.

“And you captain?” she asked Captain Lightbulb.

He smiled, as the lightbulb on his head grew brightly, and he flexed his muscles, which looked good in his speedo. “I have a few ideas…” he said quietly, and they all laughed at this one, as Spacey gave them all a hug goodbye and they all went on their way.

“Hey, move it along!” said Matlock jokingly to Space Tart, as he walked over, his twenty-five year old self now fitted with a slimmer version of his classic 1930’s costume. “We can’t have space-cruisers taking off in the middle of the streets,” he smiled; glad to see that the streets of Legion World were tame once again.

“Well Matlock!” said Spacey with a big smile and seductive voice, “Ms. Matlock must be *so* glad to see you when you get home each night! What a cutie you were at 25…” she smiled, rubbing his chest.

“Huh?” he said befuddled, “just what I need,” he thought, “Ms. Matlock will have something to say about this…”, as he suddenly pointed towards the sky to draw Spacey’s attention away.

Up ahead a large contingent of LMBers, waving down below, some landing around them, some moving on to their own personal lives. Poverty Lad played a joke on some security officers, while Fat Cramer landed at Café Cramer to see how business had done for the night. And around the corner, a larger crowd began to gather. Lucien Lad stood before them, looking at some of the debris with a hand on one hip, evidently not too pleased with what he saw.

“What to you think, Bevis?” said Sketch Lad to him.

“I think,” said Lucien Lad with an annoyed smile, “that I’m sick of all this reconstruction here on Legion World,” he finished, then closing his eyes. He giggled to himself, obviously thinking of something risqué, and when he reopened his eyes, the Legion World before him was much better. All of the debris was gone; all of the destruction had vanished. Buildings were restored, streets were cleaned, and Legion World was whole again. There would be no reconstruction this time….Legion World was once more fully complete and completely beautiful.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

5: Beginnings

Time moved once more, often swiftly, often slowly, but always moving. The sun rose each morning, but left in the evenings, and the eternal sunrise of Sol Invictus, though not forgotten, was not something the daily inhabitants of Legion World thought of often. On one such evening soon after the battle at the Dark Oval Embassy, as the sun sank into the West, Helena and Seth looked over the streets of Legion World from on top of a building, amazed that only days before, they had fought innumerable odds and defended the people down below.

Helena smiled at them, but stopped when she immediately knew Seth was looking at her—and then she smiled again.

“You must feel some relief,” he said to her, looking at the final vestiges of a clean-up on Legion World. “That was you a few weeks ago, feeling an incredible guilt.”

“The guilt has not gone away completely,” she replied looking down again, “…but at last I have figured out a way to temper it. I really like it here Seth, and I believe in this place. I’m honored to defend it.”

He now moved to her side. “I know,” he replied. “I feel it too. We’re both odd around here, with our own dark pasts, full of regrets and bad decisions. But a new day dawns tomorrow, and I’ll be glad to meet whatever challenges, whether new or from the past are there.”

The brisk evening air began to pick up around them and it felt refreshing, although colder than they would have wished. It would be spring soon though, and that would bring a whole new air.

She looked at him now, in the eyes. “I feel something different now,” she said, “something subtle, but it gives me hope. Acceptance,” she said, “and I know you feel it too. But you were the first to accept me, and I won’t forget that. I’ll be glad to meet those challenges too, and I’ll be glad to be by your side to help you meet yours.”

The both looked on now at the sun descending and Seth reached out his hand and took Helena’s hand in it.

Things were changing for both of them, and it would not be easy, as one can never escape his or her past. But they would change with it, and they would do the best they could.

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
6: Where the Heart Is

Rockhopper Lass sat in a wingback chair in the Deputy Leader’s office, waiting for Rockhopper Lad. So much had happened to her lately. She needed some purpose. Faraway Lad had told her there was still no way for him to reach the Earth of her universe or any other planet in it. The SMB was to be her new start. Now she had no idea what would be next for her. She felt like a person without a country. Did she have a home anywhere?

Presently, Rockhopper Lad entered his new office. “Adelie, I would like to formally introduce you to my staff!”

She stood and smiled. Eudyptes could always make her smile. He was so enthusiastic about his new role as Deputy Leader of the LMB. If only “her” Eudyptes could have–no, she mustn’t think that way.This was her Eudyptes now.

“My Scheduler: Time Teller Lad,” Time Teller Lad entered the office with a big grin on his face.

“My Press Secretary: Old Dutch the Super-Cow.” Old Dutch entered, got a rather confused look on her face and then went to stand next to Time Teller.

“My Chief of Staff: Hyvvie the Wonder Beagle.” Hyvvie bounded in and ran up to Rockhopper Lass, licking her, and then stood with the others.

“And my Personal Secretary: Lad Boy!” The scantily clad LMBer walked in with a steno pad in his hand.

“Lad Boy?” she smiled and shook her head.

Rockhopper Lad shrugged. “He was promised a cushy government job if either Kid Marvel or I got in and, well, what could be cushier than being a fairly superfluous secretary? TTL, Old Dutch and Hyvvie take care of most of the business I can’t handle myself.”

Lad Boy smiled. “I essentially get paid to sit around and look cute!”

“Which you do quite well,” Rockhopper Lad grinned.

Rockhopper Lass chuckled. “Oh, Eudyptes, everyone, you make me feel much better.”

“I’m glad, Adelie. So what do you have planned?”

She sighed. “I don’t know. I can’t go home to my Pyngwyn Colonies or to the SMB. I thought about going to your Pyngwyn Colonies, but, well–they already have a Princess Adelie. She’s wonderful, but I don’t want to make her uncomfortable.”

“You really are just like her,” Rockhopper Lad said. “She would probably say the same thing. Always thinking of others first.”

“So, Boss Man,” Lad Boy smirked, “What do you have for me to do?”

“At the moment, nothing.”

“Well, that’s exactly what I’m going to do. If you need me, I’ll be at SHAKES.”

“SHAKES sounds awfully good,” Time Teller Lad said. “I think I can spare the 12 minutes 13 seconds it takes to walk there, then the twenty-one minutes it takes...”

“Why don’t you come with, TTL?” said Lad Boy, rolling his eyes. “Anyone else?”

“I could use some refreshment,” Old Dutch said. “Where were we going again?”

“We’ll catch up to you,” Rockhopper Lad smiled. “Adelie and I need a moment.”
Hyvvie nuzzled his master. “Of course, you can stay, precious.”

After the others left, Rockhopper Lad sat in a chair next to Rockhopper Lass. Hyvvie lay down between them.

“Adelie, I have a proposition for you.”

“What’s that, Eudyptes?”

“Now that I’m Deputy Leader, I’m not going to have a whole lot of time to take care of the Rookery. I’m going to need someone I can trust to run the place and make it a centre of Pyngwyny culture here on Legion World.”

Adelie smiled. “I’d be honoured, Eudyptes. I think that’s just what I need.”

“I hope you’ll at least consider reserve status with the LMB as well.”

“Of course. Anytime you need me, I’ll be glad to help out.”

“That’s really great. I’m glad you’ll be staying, Adelie.”

“Well, of course I’m staying,” she smiled. She thought for a moment about Eudyptes, the LMB and all the friends she had made and realised that for the first time in ages, she felt like she belonged somewhere. She smiled again, “After all: Legion World is my home now!”

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

7: A Mutual Acquaintance

Offices of The Legion World Herald

Clark Marlowe stares blankly at his Omnicom screen. He has a deadline to meet for his retrospective piece on the 52 affair, and he hasn't written the first word yet. Time is running out.

He's at a standstill. He's gotten a lot of praise from his peers and readers alike for his firsthand accounts, but it all rings very hollow to him. He's embellished so many details in order to honor Chloe's wishes, but also to hide the true role he played.

Yes, he reported Chloe's sacrifice, but not as Bat-Fem, as per her wishes. Because of him, the public record shows that Chloe Lane, who he revealed was actually a heroic Mordra from Earth-4 all along, carried the bomb outside of Legion World. Various witnesses reported seeing Bat-Fem fighting on the streets. His account confirmed that but claimed that she survived, as far as he knows.

And what of the "human whirlwind" observed clearing the Dark Oval Embassy site of conspirators? Marlowe characterized him as an anonymous samaritan.

Some hero, he thinks, hiding from what happened. Even if my powers hadn't totally disappeared right after the crisis had passed, I still would've probably taken this tack. I'm a writer and a reporter. As much as I did to help while I had the Kryptonian powers, I'm not even a fraction of the hero Chloe was as Bat-Fem. Not even close.

I was invulnerable. Fast. Incredibly strong. She had nothing more than a few gadgets, the body she was born with and skills she honed every single day the hard way. If I hadn't lucked into those apparently one-shot powers, I would've continued to hide in a hole and just watched as untold numbers of sentients died in agony. If I wasn't pretty sure I couldn't get hurt, I would've continued cowering...and taking notes.

He touches the crystal still imbedded near his Adam's apple that granted him temporary bravery. He recently went to a specialist who told him there was absolutely no way to remove the crystal from its home. It was unbreakable, as was its connection to Clark. "Damndest thing I've ever seen," the specialist said.

Funny thing is, Clark muses, those looks Chloe gave me...she didn't see me as a coward at all. She had complete faith in me to do what was right. And I've never known a better judge of character in my life. Somehow, I fooled her...or maybe she was right after all. Gods, I miss her...

And as he wipes his eyes as they begin to tear up, he suddenly knows what his article's focus will be: he's going to tell everything he knows of Chloe Lane and her heroism, minus the small detail of her costumed identity. They will know the truth about this remarkable woman, and he'll do everything he can to make sure this woman is never forgotten. In short he'll tell (almost) the whole truth, and it'll write itself.

He turns the article in just before the deadline and feels a catharsis like no other. The tears he cries then cleanse his mind like never before. And, unnoticed to him, the crystal glows slightly for little more than a second before returning to normal.

And months later, when the Galactic Pulitzer is awarded to him for this article, he knows, wherever she is, that Chloe is proud.

A Derelict Building in Legionnopolis's Old Town Borough

Jada Konti finds a hidden flight of stairs leading to a basement.

Took some effort to find out what this passkey you left me goes to, Mordra. Had to enlist Matlock's help to analyze it and trace the subharmonics of the lock it's meant to open. Definitely was no easy task.

The stair leads to an area cloaked in total darkness. Luckily, she has a glow torch with her and ignites it. The hallway she finds herself in is totally bare except for a single door at its far end.

"Guess that's the door, Mordra!" she says aloud, and her words echo slightly in the dark hallway. "I have no idea why you want me here. Is this where you keep your memorabilia from your marriage or something?" She shakes her head, "damn, Konti...you expect her ghost to answer or something?"

Finally, she reaches the door and inserts the passkey into a small console. After a moment the receptacle flashes a green light, and the door opens.

Suddenly, the room's lights flash on, and Jada is blinded. Instinctively, she shields her eyes, but only sees red fireworks for several seconds. And as her vision clears, she's startled as she sees the outline of:

"B-Bat-Fem?"

But it's not. A moment later she sees that the fuzzy outline was that of a featureless mannequin wearing one of her friend's costumes. Looking around the largish room, she sees more spare costumes hanging up, weaponry, utility belts, a hover cycle, grapple guns and much more. This was obviously where Bat-Fem made her base of operations.

Momentarily dumbfounded, Jada stutters, "b-but why would she want me to come h--?"

And realization hits.

"She wants me...to take her place?"

Her mind boggling at the implications, Jada has to sit down a while.

[ February 06, 2007, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

8: Exhaling

As the things grow more routine and a normal pace begins to set in on Legion World—well, as normal for Legion World that is—the Office of Security once more delves into shuffle of non-stop traffic and intrigue. Its odd then, when My Whee Fem notices that Jailbait Lass has not shown up for work. She checks the time clock to be sure, and there it is: Jailbait Lass has actually taken a vacation day. Her first ever vacation day since she began working!

“But…” said My Whee Fem, “…this is Lolita. She never takes vacation days! Its like against her religion!”

“Omygod!” yelled Everyday Girl, “its about time! But what’s she going to do all day?”

“Oh, leave her alone,” says Matlock walking past with a smile, “I think she deserves a day off…” he finishes turning the corner, then adding under his breath, “…after all she’s been through…”

Across the city, at the Legion World Cemetery, Jailbait Lass stands before a familiar tombstone and smiles as the spring air blows through the cemetery. There are flowers all over the graves, freshly put there, and it makes the cemetery look beautiful and fitting. The grave before her says ‘Paula Shultz’, though Jailbait Lass has no clue who that is. She knows this grave because this is where the Red Bee buried her alive. She used to visit it all the time, as if she should say something, but the fear would choke the words up inside of her, and she would barely be able to stumble home.

But today she was smiling. She placed a bouquet of lilies (her favorite) on the grave. And now she spoke aloud, to the cemetery, to Ms. Shultz and to herself. “Well Ms. Shultz,” she began, “I feel I owe you an apology. But I’m here to tell you that I won’t be bothering your resting place anymore.” The breeze picked up again and she continued to smile. “The grave is yours again, to be buried in. And anything related to me is no longer buried, but simply gone. Good bye,” she smiled, and turned around, and walked out.

As she got to the entrance, she saw a familiar face, as Cobalt Kid was waiting for her. He had his old trenchcoat back on, given back to him by Jailbait Lass. His face was completely healed, all that remained of the scars was a scarred ‘X’ above his right eye. He looked at her with his cool eyes, unsure of what she was feeling. “I thought I might find you here,” he said. She smiled at him, and he knew. So he smiled back. They started to walk, quietly, enjoying the silence. “C’mon,” he said, putting his arm around her, “let me buy you a cup of coffee at Café Cramer…”

“Cobie,” she said laughing, “cups of coffee are free.”

He laughed back. “Then how about we just hang out for a little while? That’s free too,” he added.

“I know it is,” she replied, and hugged him tightly.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

9: Precipice

Lard Lad enters the penthouse he shares with his fiancee and finds her sitting at their dining table, her head propped on her elbows.

"Babe?" he asks her tentatively. "What's wrong?"

Raising her head from its support and straightening her posture, she puts on her bravest face.

"Anthony, there's something I've been putting off talking to you about for a while. But I can't do that any longer."

A look of concern painting his face, he sits next to her and takes her hands into his. "What's wrong, babe...are you all right?"

"It's nothing like that, honey. But it's difficult to talk about it."

"Just talk," he assures, "I'll listen."

"O-okay," she begins, "well, you, of couse, know that I ran for LMB Leader a few weeks back..."

"Yeah," he smiles, "that may've been a bit premature, y'know."

"Yes, I know. But it was something I felt I had to try. You see, I'd just lost my world a few months ago. When I ruled Rudlab, I had the authority to make a difference in the galaxy. But then, the Dark Oval destroyed Rudlab, and I was left with nothing..."

"Yes, you were, Dru. But then we found each other!"

"Yes, and that means so much to me! I-I never had a clue what real love was before we discovered each other. And it fulfills me in so many ways..but when I look at the mess the galaxy's becoming--just the threat that Caracalla and his Khanate pose alone--I know that if I still had political power, I could make a difference!"

"Dru, you are making a difference! You helped save Legion World twice recently!"

"But, Anthony, even today, walking through Legionnopolis, I got the looks, the ones that don't even bother to hide the fact that they still don't trust me! All they see is the wicked witch who terrorized them on many, many occasions. Even most of the LMBers still have that look! If I could read minds, I'd bet you anything that they think I'm just playing the hero, waiting for them to drop their guard before I unleash probably the most dastardly plot yet! They may never trust me...and deep down, I can't blame them."

"Dru, just give them more ti--"

"More time, Anthony? Honey, out of all the LMBers, I got exactly one vote--YOURS! Can't be much further away than last place, huh?"

"But that was before the 52 affair and--"

"What did I just tell you? I'm still getting all the looks, honey, from everyone! And at this moment I still haven't been given LMB membership, or even been granted Legion World citizenship! They'll be forced to after we marry, but that still won't equal acceptance...I'll just be let in on a technicality, and that's not what I want."

"So what is it, Dru? What alternative do you have?"

Taking a deep breath, she rustles up the courage for what she has to say next. "Anthony, just before the election process started, I got an offer."

"An offer?" he says amping the volume of his voice considerably as he stands up and gesticulates. "You got an offer over a month ago, and you're just now telling me about it? What kind of offer?"

Looking up with resolve in her eyes, she answers, "it's from the Sorceror's World, honey. They've offered me a chair on the ruling Council of Seven. They've monitored the changes I've made for the better, and they feel my experience is needed to help with the changing galactic landscape. They're accepting me unconditionally and giving me the opportunity I crave to make a difference, Anthony."

"Why are you telling me now, Dru? Why not a month ago?"

"My first idea was to try running in the LMB election. If I could somehow win, or at least have a good showing, I could have something as good here. But we know how that turned out. And almost immediately afterward the whole 52 affair hit the fan. Things are only now starting to settle down. So--"

"So, just like that...you're going to take it?!?!" he almost yells.

"No," she says calmly, "not 'just like that'. I don't want to sacrifice what we have. I... I want you to come with me. I want us to make the Sorceror's World our home...as husband and wife."

"You..you want me to leave Legion World?!?! Dru--you know this is the only real home I've ever had all my life! This is where I belong--I can't just-just..."

She walks to him and gently strokes his chin. Her eyes begin to tear up as she says, "look, Anthony, this is not an ultimatum--no matter what, I'm not walking out on us! If you can't bring yourself to leave Legion World, I'll decline the offer, and we'll stay here. As you said, maybe things'll get better over time. Maybe I--"

"Maybe you'll resent me forever, Dru!" Lardy almost screams as his own tears begin to flood out. For a moment the conversation--the kiss--he had with Hummer Lass flashes through his mind, but he shakes it off. "Don't you see the position I'm in! You just poured your heart out to me about what it's been like for you here! I can't guilt you into staying here--it would eat us up inside and tear us apart! I can't do that to you...and-and I don't think I can leave Legion World, either!"

He screams in an anguish that comes from his soul and suddenly disappears with a pop of Lard Force.

"A-Anthony? Honey?" Dru cries. Then she collapses to the floor in a fit of sheer heartbreak.

[ February 07, 2007, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

10: World's End

Dr. One looked at those the had called to a special meeting. “I suppose you’re all wondering why I’ve asked you all here,” he said to Faraway Lad, Kid Marvel, Rockhopper Lad and Rockhopper Lass.

“The thought did cross my mind once or thrice, Doctor,” Rockhopper Lad noted.

“As an early Terran holo character would say,” Kid Marvel added, “ ‘What’s up, Doc?’”

“I think I may have at least found a way to contact Earth-4.”

“Oh, that’s marvellous!” cried Rockhopper Lass.

“I’ll need Faraway Lad’s help,” Dr. One added. “Faraway, if you’ll just allow me to put this helmet on you, thank you, I’ll show you what I have.”

Dr. One produced a device that looked like an early ancestor of a holo-vid viewer that would have been used around the mid-20th Century on Earth.

“This device can channel Faraway Lad’s powers to at least get an image from another universe. We may not be able to make actual contact, but we’ll be able to see what’s going on.”

“You’re a bloody genius, Doctor,” Faraway smiled.

“Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s try it!” Kid Marvel said, rubbing his hands together.

Dr. One pushed some buttons and threw some switches. The machine made a high-pitched noise, rather like a theremin. Faraway Lad closed his eyes as the machine used his powers to peer into Earth-4 universe. After about two minutes a picture appeared on the viewscreen.

A planet appeared in view. The picture was fuzzy at first, but slowly it became clearer and clearer.

But this couldn’t be Earth-4.

Instead of the familiar oceans and continents of an Earth, this planet seemed little more than a lifeless hunk of rock, much of the surface of which was scorched.

“Doctor, what’s wrong?” Rockhopper Lad asked. “Is it the machine?”

“It checks out fine! Faraway’s fine It’s–it’s the planet.”

They all stood silently for a moment as what appeared before them sank in.

Rockhopper Lass began sobbing in Rockhopper Lad’s arms. Rockhopper Lad looked to Kid Marvel. Even the wisdom of Solomon was at temporarily at a loss.

“Are you sure that’s Earth-4, Doctor?” Kid Marvel asked at last.

“It’s in the correct space for Earth-4. It’s the right size and mass,” the doctor answered as detached from the situation as he could be.

“That’s why I couldn’t contact my doppelgänger,” Faraway said.

“The SMB! And all those billions of beings!” Rockhopper Lass wailed.

Kid Marvel looked at the screen. “There’s some sort of writing on the surface. Doctor, please increase resolution.”

As the letters that were carved into the surface of the planet came into view, both Rockhoppers’ jaws dropped, the red bills inside their mouths very clearly showing.

“That writing is Pyngwyny!” Rockhopper Lad gasped.

“What does it say, Rocky?” Kid Marvel asked.

“This planet was destroyed on the whim of his Imperial Majesty, Eudyptes XXIX.”

“That’s your name, Rocky.”

“Eudyptes is my name, KM. Eudyptes XXIX will be my regnal name when I ascend the throne. My dad is Eudyptes XXVIII.”

“My brother was Eudyptes XXIX,” Rockhopper Lass sobbed. “When he usurped our father’s throne, he became Eudyptes XXIX.”

“Does this mean the Evil Emperor Pyngwyn destroyed Earth-4 and all the people on it?”

“It would appear so, Faraway,” Rockhopper Lad sighed. “I wouldn’t put anything past my double. He is one of the most vile beings I’ve ever met.”

The Rockhoppers and Kid Marvel all held each other close and all began weeping openly for the sheer horror of the situation. Dr. One and even the usually stoic Faraway began to tear up as well.

The image stayed on the screen, almost taunting them. The SMB was gone. A whole Earth was gone. And they could do nothing but cry.

And they did.

--------------------

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.