Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Straya's Art Spam Thread (Updated 3/19) (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Straya's Art Spam Thread (Updated 3/19)
Tekwych
Magikal Mystikal Wych!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tekwych   Author's Homepage   Email Tekwych         Edit/Delete Post     
VERY nice. I love the chromatic {mono-chromatic?} style you have. It gives the image a subtle pop that a larger color pallet would hide.

Keep them coming.

--------------------
I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure

From: New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Straya
Raging Robophile

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Straya   Author's Homepage   Email Straya         Edit/Delete Post     
Sketch process on Lightning Lad for the heck of it.

-

Between the first two, I decided the further leg didn't look right and that the torso was too long. Used copy/paste to edit the torso length (actually removed the lower half from below the belt down and reattached it slightly higher up) and redrew the leg.

Going to work up my own version of Brainiac 5, next, and not follow the 'toon so heavily, I think.

Also, I've had too much candy and soda. Erm...gonna be one of those nights.

[ February 03, 2007, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: Straya ]

--------------------
"Not imbalanced, just creatively calibrated!"

Talks about Transformers too much. Likes robots with plenty of bling, er big guns!

From: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Copycat Girl
Candidate in the #1 Brainy fangirl contest - Finals with Fangirl Girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copycat Girl   Email Copycat Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
*laughs* you're like Issac from Heros. (awsome show) draw the most awsome stuff only while you're high...suger high that is. unfortunately, I went swimming just a few hours ago and it's 40 degrees outside, I'm sitting in a 50 degree room with thin pajamas and still wet hair, so I think I better curl up in my nice warm bed before I catch a cold. but I will be WAY looking forward to some new artwork in the morning. don't let me down.

--------------------
"He's doomed. We all are. Oh, wanna hear a joke?"

"I'm always thinking about you. Because according to the restraining order, that's all I'm allowed to do."

From: Somewhere in New Metropolis. Got lost looking for Legion Headquarters. | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lurker Lass
Current status: borderline narcoleptic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lurker Lass   Author's Homepage   Email Lurker Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
LIGHTNING LAD

Solid work on the shading there. Any chance of you showing the process you did? (You mentioned that you saved the steps, yeah?)
EDIT: Okay, I'm a dumbtard and didn't notice the second page. Yaaarr!

Small nitpick: His head seems joined to the neck oddly from the angle the collar of the tights is drawn (I hate drawing heads from worm's eye view), and the feet look rather stiff. Other than that, I love it! Especially the way the muscles are implied, and his adorable, adorable face.

Oh, and I didn't comment so on your other thread, but that Brainy picture is total rawk.

--------------------
{This has been a Lurker Lass sighting}

From: Somewhere in the Multi-verse | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Straya
Raging Robophile

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Straya   Author's Homepage   Email Straya         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker Lass:
Small nitpick: His head seems joined to the neck oddly from the angle the collar of the tights is drawn (I hate drawing heads from worm's eye view), and the feet look rather stiff.

I'm still trying to get the hang of the worm's eye view thing, so yeah... I see what you mean. I played with it a little while working on it, but couldn't seem to get it to look just right at the time and ended up leaving it. Kinda lazy of me, but...eh. x_x Nothing for it but more practice, right? I'll keep at it. [Smile] And thanks for the concrit!

Busted out a lot of Rockman and Rockman X music for the next one...

-

...knew I was going to drag in some Mega Man X and Transformers influence without hesitation. (And, in a way, his face kind of reminds me of Red Alert's from Mega Man X7.) Decided not to do the gradiant render thing on this one, though. If I do color it, I think I'd rather go the whole way, since his costume has a lot more color contrast to it against his green skin as opposed to the color shift variations in someone like Timberwolf.

[ February 03, 2007, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: Straya ]

--------------------

Talks about Transformers too much. Likes robots with plenty of bling, er big guns!

From: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Copycat Girl
Candidate in the #1 Brainy fangirl contest - Finals with Fangirl Girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copycat Girl   Email Copycat Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
[Frown] you have made my cute adorable geek into some rock robot...yet I can't hate it! it's an awsome drawing with a greek quote to the side, and the details are extensive and exact. although I didn't particularly like the changes to the face, I still loved the drawing and would so like to see it colored.

--------------------
"He's doomed. We all are. Oh, wanna hear a joke?"

"I'm always thinking about you. Because according to the restraining order, that's all I'm allowed to do."

From: Somewhere in New Metropolis. Got lost looking for Legion Headquarters. | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
I think that Brainy looks terrific! Nice work Straya. [Smile]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ojisan
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ojisan   Author's Homepage   Email Ojisan         Edit/Delete Post     
I've always loved how you put in little wrinkles around the knees. Nobody can say anything horribly mean unless whoever says it is heartless. ^_^

--------------------
Places to contact me-
DeviantArt: Elementalist-1
HEATBLAST.NET: LexiT
Yahoo: meranova

From: Kent County, Delaware (middle of nowhere) | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awesomegirl
Queen of Awesome

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awesomegirl   Email Awesomegirl         Edit/Delete Post     
I only have two words for your drawings: FREAKIN AWESOME!!!

--------------------
"Do, or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

From: Naboo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I like it, a more classic look for Brainy. Looks like he's ready for a long day of work in the lab and the mechanical shop.

Of course, this may not be a positive thing considering he spent his first 30+ years in very fashion-challenged purple mechanic's coveralls.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Straya
Raging Robophile

quote:
Originally posted by Copycat Girl:
[Frown] you have made my cute adorable geek into some rock robot...yet I can't hate it!

I think the problem is that I've loved Transformers since age eight, and in recent years, have come to think of many of their faces as being extremely attractive with the facial lines, chin guards, simplified noses, battle masks, visors, etc. And since I started taking mecha art seriously in early 2004, I've been trying to ramp things up a bit whenever I draw anything robotic. More details, more mechanical kibble, etc. (I actually tried to take Mega Man X himself to another level by drawing him as a Transformer.)

I may try some variations, though. I mentally played with the idea of a visor, but didn't actually try it. (And, if anything, it's probably the added lines and nose that are turning you off a bit because they make him not only more robotic, but older. The funny thing is, though, is that the spots were I placed the added lines are actually where his face divides and resets for battlebot mode; they're just more like invisible seams in the cartoon.)

quote:
Originally posted by Vee:
I think that Brainy looks terrific! Nice work Straya. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Awesomegirl:
I only have two words for your drawings: FREAKIN AWESOME!!!

Thanks, guys! ^_^

quote:
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
I like it, a more classic look for Brainy. Looks like he's ready for a long day of work in the lab and the mechanical shop.

Of course, this may not be a positive thing considering he spent his first 30+ years in very fashion-challenged purple mechanic's coveralls.

LOL, sometimes the fashionable challenged ones are the most fun... Because then it's an excuse to draw them in clothing variations. XD Plus I'm very much a fan of WB!Brainy's snarky side. Tried to put that through on this one. "Don't bother me, I'm busy!"

--------------------

Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Awesome work! Great to see so much new work here  -
From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lurker Lass
Current status: borderline narcoleptic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lurker Lass   Author's Homepage   Email Lurker Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
RAWKMAN X! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I love the more robotic look that you've given Brainy, actually XD Makes it less anime-ish, more... okay, gundams are still Japanese, but you know what I mean. Hee hee, HUGE feet. (There's a joke here, but I'm going to let it pass.)

Interesting combination of fabric and machine - although, since the 'clothes' part of him transform too, I would've thought his outfit was just emulated tech. But of course, this is the future. In space. Anything can happen.

And for some reason, I have fallen in love with your ear interpretation. And his clunky little fingers. Brainy looks a bit older, here!

...Hawt.

--------------------
{This has been a Lurker Lass sighting}

From: Somewhere in the Multi-verse | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Straya
Raging Robophile

quote:
RAWKMAN X! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I love the more robotic look that you've given Brainy, actually XD Makes it less anime-ish, more... okay, gundams are still Japanese, but you know what I mean. Hee hee, HUGE feet. (There's a joke here, but I'm going to let it pass.)

AHAHAHA, omg... I actually made the "huge feet" joke to a close Transfan friend on AIM while I was working on the sketch and we both just sat there and giggled about it. XD

quote:
Interesting combination of fabric and machine - although, since the 'clothes' part of him transform too, I would've thought his outfit was just emulated tech. But of course, this is the future. In space. Anything can happen.

I'm still trying to figure out whether it is fabric in the series, or something else. Drax actually grabs Brainy by "the shirt" in "Phantoms", making it look like it is a shirt and it is cloth. At the same time, everything folds out and transforms when he goes battle bot mode. ...some kind of nanite tech? Dunno.

quote:
And for some reason, I have fallen in love with your ear interpretation. And his clunky little fingers. Brainy looks a bit older, here!

...Hawt.

I blame the fingers completely on the recent slew of Transformers comic artists (like Don Figueroa, Mark Brooks, Makoto Ono, etc.) who have upped the anty on drawing TFs with heavier amounts of detail. (Makotron's Rodimus Convoy art is a good example of it.)

The ears... I think I almost wanted them to look like they could expand and contracts like mini-satellite dishes or something, LOL. I think I picked that up from how Mega Man's robocat Tango looked years and years ago.

BTW, im in ur blog, stalkn u on elJay. Heh heh. (But don't worry, I don't bite. Usually. [Big Grin] )

--------------------

Fangirl Girl
Every Bishonen's Worst Nightmare

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fangirl Girl   Author's Homepage   Email Fangirl Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
That is probably the coolest brainy picture I've ever seen! *dies squeeling like a fangirl with rabies* I love the Rockman look to it!

--------------------
Beware Fangirl Girl! Her power will force you into saucy slash situations you cannot escape from! *evil laugh* Don't drop the soap!

From: Washington state, have a second home in hell though where I stay when called in | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.