Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Welcome to Legion World. Introduce yourself, why don't ya! (Page 52)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 95 pages: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  93  94  95   
Author Topic: Welcome to Legion World. Introduce yourself, why don't ya!
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Here[/URL]'s a temp attempt. I'll try to create a customized local version when I have a chance.

Gary - what can I say?

F'n'A! You RAWK!

Can I suggest that we give it a thread of its own, that way everyone can see it and register.

[ February 28, 2006, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Ghost of Numf El ]

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Sollie - it's good to have you on board.

<Edited to remove uncalled for, presumptious comment - Sorry!>

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ March 01, 2006, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Ghost of Numf El ]

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Welcome, Sollie!

you'll find plenty of fans of each era here. He generally don't rag on people for thier tastes, except in jest, (although no one's yet really admitted to liking the Gerry Conway years best [Wink] ).

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Welcome, welcome Sollie!!

I've actually only read the reboot and 3boot, so... yeah. I don't like it more, exactly, just don't have the patience to go through preboot eras too.

I also [Love] XS, btw. [Wink] [XS] But I'm a pretty big Flash Family fan, so... there we are. [Big Grin]

Anyway, can't wait to see more of your art posted in the Bits section (I hope) and YAY for having another teenager on the board!! (19 is still teen. [Wink] )

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
As I am to all younger people on this board, I, the mature 24 year old Cobalt Kid will always be available in a mentor capacity!

Can't wait to see your art!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost of Numf El:
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Here[/URL]'s a temp attempt. I'll try to create a customized local version when I have a chance.

Gary - what can I say?

F'n'A! You RAWK!

Can I suggest that we give it a thread of its own, that way everyone can see it and register.

The map thing is very cool, Gary. Thanks!
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
Dang! Another "oops"! My own fault (of course) for hardly ever mentioning my actual physical location but I see that Oklahoma City doesn't have a red dot to represent ME.

Love the map G.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
The map wouldn't load for me. [Frown]
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
Dang! Another "oops"! My own fault (of course) for hardly ever mentioning my actual physical location but I see that Oklahoma City doesn't have a red dot to represent ME.

Love the map G.

Thanks! You have to sign up there, YK. It's separate from the board and isn't even located on our server. (Yet! I plan to dismantle the code and steal...er...borrow it for over here, one of these days when I have a free afternoon or two.)

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
The map wouldn't load for me. [Frown]

Unfortunately, I have no real control over it. I'll test it out here (see above^).
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Name: Will
Live: Austin, Texas

Legion info: I first read the Legion in the Summer of 1974. I spent that entire summer at my Grandparent's house. They owned a convenience store and because of that they had a ton of old comics lying around their house that their older grandkids and kids had brought home from the store. They had racked up an impressive, if heavily worn, collection going all the way back to the 40's and 50's. They had a ton of old Superman, Jerry Lewis and a lot of those great Warren Horror Magazines. I spent that entire summer reading those old books and that was my introduction to the world of comics.

Among those comics were quite a few Adventures featuring the Legion. I must have read those old Adventures a hundred times that summer...specifically the one where Lightning Lad dies and the arc that introduced Mordru.

Even though I missed the Silver Age Legion when it first came out...those were the first Legion stories I read, and because of that I have always been a huge fan of the Silver Age Legion, and more or less a Silver Age Legion fan, in particular the Shooter/Swan stories.

By far my favorie comics ever are the two parter that introduced Mordru.

After that I picked up a few issues here and there..the story by Levitz about the extended 30th century life span, the tail end of the Earth War..the tabloid that came out in the 70's.

The story arc that got me hooked on the Legion permanently was the arc by Roy Thomas...the Ultraboy, Superboy, Reflecto arc...after that I was hooked.

I am definitely a fan of the Sci-Fi elements of the Legion that featured prominently in the Hamilton, Siegel and Shooter Legion.

I am not a big fan of the Levitz Legion. I actually liked his first run better and found his second run to be pretty depressing after getting off to a great start.

Favorite Legion Characters(in order): Superboy, Karate Kid, Mon-El, Chameleon Boy, Duo Damsel, Phantom Girl, Supergirl,(as you can see, I wasn't a real big fan of what the Crisis did to the Legion),

Braniac 5, Ultra Boy, Matter Eater-Lad, TimberWolf, Gates, XS, Devlin O'Ryan, Laurel Gand and Thunder.

Favorite Villans: Mordru, the Fatal 5(Mano), Darkseid and the Dark Circle.

Least Favorite Villian: John Byrne

Favorite Legion Stories(in order): The first appearance of Mordru. The one shot hero. The Reflecto Arc. The Great Darkness Saga. Just about all of the Matter Eater Lad stories by Giffen and the Beirbaum's in the 89 Legion series.

Favorite Writers(in order): Jim Shooter, Edmond Hamilton, Roy Thomas and Keith Giffen(cept for killing Karate Kid).

Favorite Artists(in order): Curt Swan, Barry Kitson, Dave Cockrum, Steve Lightle, John Forte, and Keith Giffen(the pre style change Giffen).

I really like the direction Barry's art is taking and he has easily moved into my second all time slot of favorite Legion artists. I wasn't a big fan of his during his L.E.G.I.O.N. years, but the stuff he is doing now is freaking awesome...the chracters are so well drawn and his work has developed a gracefullness that reminds me of Curt Swan at his peak...but he also has a style all his own at the same time. I really like his 31st century and space backgrounds.

It's great seeing an artist hit one of those exciting periods where they come into their own and finally hit their creative stride and prime...it looks to me like Kitson is hitting one of these periods right now on the Legion and it is very exciting. I hope it lasts longer than Giffen's prime.

I am undecided on Waid...he is one of my favorite modern writers, I loved his Flash stint. But I was not a big fan of his first tenure on the book...this time around he's doing some good stuff, but I still haven't recovered from the 94 reboot. Still, I like just about everything else he has written aside from the 94 Legion so I have high hopes for this Waid/Kitson team. I hope DC is going to support them in making the Legion Great again...it'd be nice.

Movies and Books: I am big Sci-Fi buff...I love horror movies and science fiction and can't get enough of that stuff...and a big part of the reason why is from reading those old Legion stories.

My thoughts on the current Legion: It's already my favorite extended era since the Silver Age Legion...and it's very reminiscent of that era. I hope it keeps up...I hope the series has a heavy Sci-Fi edge and I hope we again start seeing the expansion and growth of the 31st century, specifically in the villian and planet department. I hope they bring back all of the elements that make the Legion the Legion, and then I hope we can move on to bringing in new characters, new worlds and new villans...I am ready for us to move out of the cycle of continually retelling and reintroducing, I want that stuff back, but I am also ready for some new stuff so I hope we get there quickly.

Nice to meet you all and I look forward to participating in Legion discussions on this board.

Here's to hoping someday John Byrne gets written out of the Legion's continuity. [Smile]

[ March 29, 2006, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: OldLad ]

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Welcome Will! Always good to have another long-time fan jump into the fray, especially one who shares my view on Byrne. [Smile]

If you are into fan-fiction, a couple of our regulars have a really great Matter-Eater Lad series going on over in the Bits forum. You'll probably get a kick out of it.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah! Another Texas and one from Austin. Where in Austin do you get your books Will?
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
LL, thanks for the welcome. I will be sure to check out the fan fic section of the board and thanks for letting me know about it [Smile] .

I wish I could say that I am a longtime reader right now, but actually I am coming back to the Legion, and comics, after a 6-8 year absence, more or less. I totally missed the DnA era of the Legion except for about 2 issues...ditto the last Legion series.

Oh yeah I don't like John Byrne at all...he pretty much ruined comics and the Legion for me and his revamp of...heck, basically DC, was what ultimately drove me away from comics. I got tired of complaining. Evidentally DC was tired of having their old fans complaining...I got tired of being told not to complain, I got tired of being told to take my inferior product and like it. I got tired of being told that new fans are more important than producing a product everyone can enjoy....I always thought the goal was to produce a great comic, not to produce one that you have to be a new fan to enjoy...

So I finally got the message and stopped complaining. I also stopped buying everthing they produced. It seemed to be what they wanted based on the product they were giving me. So no, I really don't like John Byrne at all.

IC brought me back and has resparked my interest...I am hoping DC will fix the Legion this time around. I am hoping they will make it fun again...and so far it has been fun. The Legion is pretty much the only comic I buy regularly.

RT, thanks also for the welcome and it is awesome to meet another Austin Legion fan. Right now I have just kinda gotten back into comics, and am trying to catch up on my Legion back issues, so for the time being I am going to Austin Books and as soon as I get caught up I'll probably be switching to a small store in South Austin(Southside Comics is the name I think) [Smile] .

[ March 29, 2006, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: OldLad ]

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Good to have you on board Will.

BTW - 37, that's almost young around these parts....

Don't forget to put yourself on the Legionworld map - see Nightcrawlers post, second bottom of the last page.

Brainiac 5
Cobalt Kid's Spell-Checker and Pain in the Rear

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brainiac 5   Email Brainiac 5         Edit/Delete Post     
John Byrne is the comics equivalent of the antichrist.

--------------------
There's room for all God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!

From: the Detroit multi-lab | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 95 pages: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  93  94  95   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.