Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Let's discuss meatloaf. (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Let's discuss meatloaf.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Meatloaf haters-- take your free-love hippie selves to the tomato or spinach thread.

Meatloaf lovers-- tell us about your encounters with meatloaf.

My current life-goal is to make my own meatloaf one day.

Have you ever made meatloaf? Was it good? What are your secrets? When did you last have meatloaf? What makes a good side-item with meatloaf? With what tomato-based ingredient do you top your meatloaf? Or-- do you use something else entirely to top it, or even NO topping??

Please leave no detail out!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Meatloaf and I first danced when I was a boy. The attraction was immediate. From then on, I'd have dreams on those cold and hungry nights.

My mom made the best meatloaf and the thought of it makes my stomach moan for more. I have no idea what her recipe was since I don't cook (my parents, brothers, sister and wife are all great cooks--I'm just a great customer [Wink] ).

My wife makes better meatballs than my even my Mom and my sister (who is a chef and graduate of the Italian Culinary Institute of Manhattan, I may add), so I'm trying to convince her to try her hand at meatloaf.

I'm good for at least three slices since I'm still rather glutonnous and in denial about my aging body not getting fat via overeating. So at least one slice I do absoluely no topping, to inhale the deliciousness. I sometimes will do regular ketchup on the next, since like any red-blooded American, I love ketchup. And then I sometimes will use some A-1 steaksauce, which goes with it really well! (A-1 steaksauce should not be used on steaks; yet, its too good not to use on other things).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Oooh, your wife MUST attempt meatloaf!

Tell her Lash demands not only his own satisfaction but the satisfaction of Cobie as well, which can only occur when she makes meatloaf!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I eat it fastern' a bat outta hell.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I love to make my own meatloaf. However, I don't do the awesome full-fat version my Mom used to make. It had a crispy exterior layer, often augmented with BACON!

Ah, Seventies, this is why you were glory above all.

My version is usually lean beef and some ground pork (in a 3 to 1 ratio), augmented with veggies, lots of herbs and then coated with a layer of seasoned tomato paste to keep it from drying out in the oven.

I don't think meatloaf weather will really begin again until late September at the earliest, though. It's not Summer-y food.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
My favorite meatloaf recipe involves mashing a pound or two of ground beef up with an egg and some bread crumbs, and then putting it down in the baking pan and adding a layer of barbecue sauce and mushrooms and cheese, and then another layer of meat, and then another layer of barbecue sauce, mushrooms and cheese on the top, and then baking it.

It ends up greasy (I probably use more cheese than most), so I pour the grease out and let it sit for a bit. I've tried it with croutons and / or garlic cloves baked in, but that's a choice not everyone loves.

More recently, we've mixed beef, pork and whatever, because of an Atkin's fad in the house, and cut out the bread crumbs entirely (and the mushrooms, 'cause of those darn obligate carnivores), but I prefer all-beef and loaded up with mushrooms.

Bacon sounds like it would be an amazing addition, cleome. I can't believe we've never done that, since we generally agree that *everything* is better with bacon...

Meatloaf, lasagna, egg-drop soup and 'breakfast stuff' (eggs, omelettes, french toast) are about the only things I can cook that don't make people run away in terror. My tastes are completely different than other people's, it seems.

I want to make a meatloaf someday with peppers and onions cooked into it, with a beef bourguignon sort of flavor, but I live with an eclectic mix of Atkins carnivores and vegetarians, which pretty much nukes the idea of preparing large meals for the whole family, since I think the only thing everyone will eat is cheese...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Some people like it cold, in sandwiches, but I like it hot, with HP sauce. My meatloaf is nothing special, though. Just ground beef, lamb & pork with bread crumbs, herbs & spices & onions. Still, it's tastier than my lentil loaf.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
I make one mean meatloaf!
It bears a superficial resemblance to conventional meatloaf .... but upon further inspection you'll find that it's, well, FAR FROM THAT!!!
[Wink]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I'm loving the meatloafy info.

For my first self-attempt, I plan to go with the very basic: beef, breacrumbs, something tomatoey to top.

Loving Cobie's A-1 idea too...

I am thinking I may attempt this as soon as this weekend... certainly no later than next week if the obsession maintains current levels.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

ps/ As a high-fiber side, I am leaning toward lima beans and brussel sprouts.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Bat Out of Hell is one mean album.

. . . oh, wrong Meat Loaf.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
[Wink]

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I'm loving the meatloafy info.

For my first self-attempt, I plan to go with the very basic: beef, breacrumbs, something tomatoey to top.

Loving Cobie's A-1 idea too...

I am thinking I may attempt this as soon as this weekend... certainly no later than next week if the obsession maintains current levels.

... ummm, you forgot onions. It ain't meatloaf without the onions.
It just ain't. [No]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, the top of the meatloaf should be totally covered with fresh chopped raw onions before going into the oven.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

oooh... I *love* onions, so not a problem!!

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.