Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Let's discuss meatloaf. (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Let's discuss meatloaf.
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Just about every giveaway cookbook in the last Great Depression has some meatless version of meatloaf. Just check out the upper right hand corner of this pic.

Ironically, subsidies and the like have likely made it cheaper these days to just eat the ground beef, as opposed to peanuts, lentils, or whatever else usually formed the basis of the faux-meat. Which kind of sucks, IMHO. Americans really do eat too much meat and not enough other stuff.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by Set:
Bacon sounds like it would be an amazing addition, cleome. I can't believe we've never done that, since we generally agree that *everything* is better with bacon...

It was pretty awesome. Mom also used to impress us kids by embedding a couple of hard-boiled eggs in the loaf. When she sliced it, there'd be a slice of egg in each piece.

I really don't think I could eat the beef-egg-bacon combo today. It'd probably kill me. [Razz]

[ August 25, 2011, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: cleome45 ]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
It's in the oven.

There are only 2 ways this will turn out:

j'awsesome or a j'abortion.

There can be no in-between.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I'm eating it now. I think for a first attempt it is pretty good!

-

I went pretty basic... 90% lean beef, panko breadcrumbs, bell pepper, onions, 2 eggs, seasoned with Heinz 57 (Cobie's steaksauce idea sounded so good!!), tomato sauce, salt, pepper and garlic powder.

I baked it for the final 20 minutes with a glaze topping consisting of more tomato sauce, more heinz 57 and ketchup.

I'm pretty into it... it's yum. Of course, I can't eat like this often but I'm already getting ideas for the next time... (like using ground sirloin and less tomato sauce but MORE steak sauce)...

Also please note my high-fiber side, a mixture of corn and lima beans!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Also, I plan to eat some Cheerios later to help balance this somewhat healthwise; I already had 1 bowl this A.M.

--------------------

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer: Still, it's tastier than my lentil loaf.
Ooh, that sounds intriguing! I love a good lentil soup (although I just have Campbells).

quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
Ironically, subsidies and the like have likely made it cheaper these days to just eat the ground beef, as opposed to peanuts, lentils, or whatever else usually formed the basis of the faux-meat.

Lopsided food subsidies leading to America being #1 in childhood obesity is annoying. And the people hardest hit are the ones who can't afford to make massive campaign contributions and buy a vote to stop it, so it will not change anytime soon...
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9hLcRU5wE4

Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I'm eating it now. I think for a first attempt it is pretty good!

-

I went pretty basic... 90% lean beef, panko breadcrumbs, bell pepper, onions, 2 eggs, seasoned with Heinz 57 (Cobie's steaksauce idea sounded so good!!), tomato sauce, salt, pepper and garlic powder.

I baked it for the final 20 minutes with a glaze topping consisting of more tomato sauce, more heinz 57 and ketchup.

I'm pretty into it... it's yum. Of course, I can't eat like this often but I'm already getting ideas for the next time... (like using ground sirloin and less tomato sauce but MORE steak sauce)...

Also please note my high-fiber side, a mixture of corn and lima beans!

send some over, pretty please?

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
< cuts off a 4 inch piece for himself and sits down at the table>

Hmm... no bad! [Smile]
[Drool]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

LASH, if you're not dealing with heartburn today, that's a sign you're on the right track.

(BTW, my favorite side with meatloaf is steamed string beans. Potatoes are nice, too. Sliced and baked in the oven is good because you can cook them right alongside the main entree.)

--------------------

cleome46

[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by Set:
Lopsided food subsidies leading to America being #1 in childhood obesity is annoying. And the people hardest hit are the ones who can't afford to make massive campaign contributions and buy a vote to stop it, so it will not change anytime soon...

I have my doubts about much of the "obesity" hype, but I'm no fan of subsidies, either. Between that and the diet industry, I'm kind of amazed that anyone in this country manages to have a sane relationship with food at all. [No]

[ August 26, 2011, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: cleome45 ]

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Absolutely NO heartburn today! Hooray!! Also today it's been all-healthy food: Cheerios for breakfast, a salad for lunch. Dinner will likely consist of margaritas with no salt.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought the A1 Steaksauce commercial where Meatloaf sings was pretty funny personally.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
So was this merely an infatuation , or do you have an enduring meatloaf relationship, Lash?
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I'll definitely make it again, but probably not until well after Thanksgiving!

Maybe a second go-round before Christmas, as a treat to myself!

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.