Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Keith Giffen musings (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Keith Giffen musings
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Keith's Wizard column

The url is for the main site. You can find Keith's column easy enough from there.

"How about stories that should have been written, but weren't?

• "Black Dawn." That'd be from my "5 Years Later" Legion stint."

That would've rocked. They should've let him do it as a mini now during all the Infinity Crisis stuff.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Do you have another run of LSH in you, as writer, artist or both?

One more issue of art if Paul [Levitz] ever wants to revisit the old gang.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's a particularly interesting comment.

"2) Karate Kid was, and still is, a character I despise. As a matter of fact, way back when, the only reason I stayed on the Legion when it went Baxter was because Paul promised I could kill him. I am so hoping history will repeat itself."

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Karate Kid reference: I don't quite understand how a writer or artist could despise any fictional character - enough to just want to kill them off?

When in a position of having creative license, why not either improve the character or shelve them for someone else later? I always thought the death of a character should be for story telling purposes, not vendetta. The comments on Karate Kid by Mr. Giffen seem a little strange to me.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
It seems strange... AND annoying... to me as well, and I'm a colossal "Giffan".

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero Kahn
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero Kahn   Email Zero Kahn         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know. I think everyone has one character that for some reason or another they just want to wipe out, and if it can serve a good story that is just a plus.
From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I guess. I personally can't wait to become head of DC and wipe out The Joker entirely.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
If I got to be DC EiC, there'd be a huge-yet-specific trail of gore if I got my way...

PS: http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/archive/giffen.cfm

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
As DC EIC I would create Giffin Boy, a guy in a cape with no super talents and forgotten drawing skills. Then I would kill him, again and again. He would make Kenny seem like Ras Al Ghul.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Giffens 5YL was also great because the story of Black Dawn was NOT told at first. To figure out piece by piece what had been happening was very interesting for me, like some detectives work. Certainly, later on, at least after the Dominator story arc was over, he should have told it - but he was off the book then.

I don't know if it would make much sense to tell the story today - off course I would buy it, but who else?

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

If I hated a character (and I have a few) I wouldn't kill them or even try to improve them. I just wouldn't use them. Let somebody else down the line that likes them do something worthwhile with them.

With that said? This team is a Legion...they probably should have their fair share of member deaths.

Powerboy
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Powerboy           Edit/Delete Post     
Looking back at Giffen's original work and comparing it to not even two years later I have to wonder when he suffered the blunt trauma to the head. In my opinion his later work was so bad it almost hurt my eyes to try to read the stories.

That could be part of why I'm not a big fan of the five years later stuff. That and the dirty future thing.

Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
Karate Kid is one of my favorite Legionnaires,I thought it sucked when Giffen killed him off just because he did'nt have powers and in his opinion did not belong in the Legion and then he brought him back in the SW6 batch and killed him off again,I always disliked mystical characters in the Legion but rather than kill off the White Witch I would rather she just left the group.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

quote:
4) Out of all of your works done for the big two companies, which are you least happy with and why?

Not that thrilled with my work on the LSH “Magic War” storyline. My head wasn’t in it (see: EMPEROR’S NEW CLOTHES) and it shows. Sorry, Paul.

I have to say that WAS the worst Giffen art I've ever seen. He was probably all ready to do 5YG and didn't have his heart in the Magic Wars...at all.
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
"2) Karate Kid was, and still is, a character I despise. As a matter of fact, way back when, the only reason I stayed on the Legion when it went Baxter was because Paul promised I could kill him. I am so hoping history will repeat itself."
With all due respect, I'm "SO" hoping not!
From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.