Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Keith Giffen musings (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Keith Giffen musings
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm. His latest:

quote:
SIX BRAIN FARTS (being useless things that are stuck in my head that I really wish would go away)

#4: THE ORIGIN OF COMET THE SUPER-HORSE. Just... Just shoot me.

#6: THE HOME PLANETS OF EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES. Proof positive that I exceeded my tolerances on that particular book.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dain:
quote:
"2) Karate Kid was, and still is, a character I despise. As a matter of fact, way back when, the only reason I stayed on the Legion when it went Baxter was because Paul promised I could kill him. I am so hoping history will repeat itself."
With all due respect, I'm "SO" hoping not!
well that's too bad...because Karate Kid has died for the third time no matter what book Keith is associated with. The latest one recently was in Countdown. [Frown]
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Keith Giffen from an interview in 2003 -

quote:
I just wanted to see him get it. If I was on the book today I'd want to kill that snake

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
Giffen kill the original Emerald Empress, too.
For me...
It's only a bad and egocentric writer, and worse artist.

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by EmeraldEmpress:
Giffen kill the original Emerald Empress, too.
For me...
It's only a bad and egocentric writer, and worse artist.

I agree one hundred percent.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I disagree. Both the deaths of Karate Kid and the Emerald Empress were well told and powerful stories. I think we have to take Giffen's musings as a bit of tongue in cheek. Giffen is a true giant in Legion lore, and had his hand in some of the most amazing Legion stories ever told. Sure, there is some ego involved, but I don't think we should dismiss his talent.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
I don't think we should dismiss his talent.

What talent? [Razz]

And while I'll allow that the LSV arc where KK died was a good story (partly because most of it was pencilled by Steve Lightle over Giffen's layouts), no one can convince me that the death of Emerald Empress story is anything but utter trash, especially since Levitz-without-Giffen had so impressively redefined the Empress in the Sensor Girl/New Fatal Five story. Levitz/Giffen's Empress story was a waste of a great character and a waste of trees.

--------------------

Askanipsion
Telepath

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askanipsion   Author's Homepage   Email Askanipsion         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
[QB] well that's too bad...because Karate Kid has died for the third time no matter what book Keith is associated with. The latest one recently was in Countdown. [Frown]

He died AGAIN?? So was he the Lightning Saga Version or the Action version or the 3-boot version?
From: South Florida | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't like his art in the period in which Sarya died, either.

But his work from a handful of stories before The Great Darkness Saga until the issue just before the Omen storyline is wonderful. Among my favorites on any title. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone there.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think his art worked at all on the Magic Wars storyline. Giffen is awesome, however.

Levitz was far better when he had Giffen working with him, imo, and his run slowly descended into blandness once Keith left.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd say Keith's art definitely went in the wrong direction, but he's recently proven again at DC and Marvel that he still has the plotter/writer and layout chops. And though his art from Omen all the way thru Magic Wars was pretty awful, I did find myself enjoying it during his stint as artist on 5YL, grids and all.

Keith's a real pioneer and innovator in his own way in the comics industry, though he'll never get the recognition that Miller, Moore, Gaiman, etc. (and even Bendis and his ilk) get.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Just not a Giffen fan. For me he represents a time when DC seemed so disinterested in the Legion that they just handed the entire title over to one man and said, "whatever".

But since he seems to be such a polarizing figure I think there might be only one way to settle this matter; a tug-of-war match over a pit of GIANT BEAVERS!

[ March 23, 2008, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Ram Boy ]

Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Not a big fan of his artwork (his early stuff is good, but not crazy good to me).

and I just can't get into the 5YL stuff, picked up some issues in the quarter bin and only read them once (of course, I will say i don't have a straight run of anything from that era, so that is a contributing factor).

But I agree what they (Levitz and Giffen, I don't know what the work load was) did to the Emerald Empress at the end of the Baxter series was criminal, way to totally punk one of your own villains into being worthless, all respect I had for EE as a villain totally went out the window when I finally got those two issues.

All this said, my favorite arc is probably "who is Sensor Girl" so I really don't see Levitz's writing chops diminishing with Giffen's departure (btw, what issue did he first leave?)

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

He left for the first time after Baxter # 5, the end of the LSV arc.

I may be wrong, but I have the impression that by the time the Empress died, Giffen was doing most of the plotting. I think that Levitz's original intention to leave after Conspiracy would support this theory.

Regarding Giffen's early art, I just find something weirdly sexless about it no matter which phase he was going through. Greg LaRocque, by contrast, drew very sensual pictures.

And I agree that Levitz wrote just fine without Giffen.

[ March 24, 2008, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Stealth ]

--------------------

Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
I am a huge Giffen fan, but I'm not too wild about his artwork between Omen and 5YL also.

But unlike other artists like Bachalo whose art and can no longer look at, Giffen did reach a point when his metamorphosis was over and what we got was 5YL. I love his writing AND his art during his tenure in v4. Of course it's not the beautiful, crystal clear George Perez style (which I love soooo much), but it's kind of an advanced comic art - very edgy, very complex, very dark - which got me from the first moment on (v4 #13 was my first Legion issue after more than ten years break). It was the perfect fit to the very complex storyline he was telling.

I also thought that Jason pearson was a very good follow on, I love the Terra Mosaic storyline as well. What I did not like so much were the fill-ins like Colleen Doran who did just not fit into the 5YL continuity.

As for the death of Emerald Empress... seems to be some time that I read it, cause I cannot actually remember it. Seems to be proof that the story really isn't that spectacular...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.