Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » La la la, Musicals Trivia Game! (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: La la la, Musicals Trivia Game!
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
[Kid Prime]
{ Here's a fun one: which person has originated more roles in Stephen Sondheim musicals than any other? }

Sarah Brightman?

{grins, ducks, runs for cover from Bevis's steamroller}

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
*shudder* What a horrible thought. Sarah Brightman trying to sing Sondheim. Urgh.

As for the question... well just because of her association with Sondheim I'd guess Bernadette Peters but you know I have a feeling that's probably completely wrong.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh god. Sarah Brightman... shudders...

It's not Bernadette Peters.

The person in question originated 3 roles.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
I had to do some digging to find this one, but it's ...

Merle Louise

Not exactly a household name, but she had three (found lots of twos):
Susan, Company; Cinderella's Mother (et al), Into the Woods; Beggar Woman, Sweeney Todd.

Phew

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Good job, Seymour! Amd she was excellent in all of them (especially the Beggar Woman in Sweeney.)

You're up!

--------------------

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Ooh! Yay me!

Hmm, let's see. What musicals did I see when I was in London around this time last year? Um, no, that's a thread killer. No one could answer it.

OK, another Sondheim one, but I suspect if you knew Merle Louise, it might be too easy. But let's give it a go. Of the shows he collaborated on as lyricist, there was on composer who was a true mentor and friend. Who was it, and what show did they write together?

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
"West Side Story," wasn't it? With Bernstein?

I'd suspect just about any composer he worked with would have ended up as his friend, though.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

That certainly sounds right. Although I also have a feeling that Westside Story was a rather... stressed production. I'm sure I've heard stories of the various contributors not getting on terribly well.

--------------------

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

He and Richard Rodgers hated each other. (They worked together on one dismal show in the 70's, "I can hear a waltz."

Bernstein does sound right, as Sondheim really didn't work with too many composers. Most of his stuff he composed himself. But I'll throw Jule Styne (Gypsy) in there for good measure.

--------------------

Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Ah, you may be right in that it's Rogers I'm thinking of. Wasn't he involved briefly with West Side Story as well?

--------------------

Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Hey, my reply with the new question made it on. When did that happen? I kept getting an error message when I tried to post it last night. I'm glad y'all didn't have to wait.

It seems sources may be disagreeing. The answers I was looking for were Richard Rodgers and "I Hear a Waltz." I've read about a much more positive relationship (Sondheim visiting Rodgers' house, etc.), but maybe it just became troubled when they finally collaborated. I remember one friend and I got along better as friends than roommates in college, so maybe it works the same with artistic types.

So I guess Kid Prime gets it right -- for the wrong reasons. [Smile] You're up, KP (and I promise to better research future questions).

--------------------
Geek Watch

Kid Prime
Founder

LOL, S'cool!

What I heard was that Hammerstein was like a father to him, and that his relationship with Rodgers was significantly more cold. But yay! I won! Lessee...

In the original Londan cast of Cabaret, what legendary British actress played Sally Bowles?

--------------------

macrab2
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for macrab2   Email macrab2         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Bevis:
That certainly sounds right. Although I also have a feeling that Westside Story was a rather... stressed production. I'm sure I've heard stories of the various contributors not getting on terribly well.

It was pretty wild going...read Arthur Laurents' book...
From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Ooh, blimey you've stumped me there. Legendary eh? It wasn't the lovely Miss Julie Andrews was it? She seems to have been in every other musical. [Big Grin]

--------------------

macrab2
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for macrab2   Email macrab2         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
LOL, S'cool!

In the original Londan cast of Cabaret, what legendary British actress played Sally Bowles?

Judi Dench?
From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.