Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Aquaman (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Aquaman
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Pretty good done-in-one issue in #5 with the classic question of "what if Aquaman is stuck in a desert?" addressed. Johns gave a straight-forward story that Reis and Prado turned into an exciting adventure with their dynamic art.

I'm actually looking more forward to the next issue (out today?) with a spotlight on Mera.

I know the "Aquaman gets no respect thing" is still being established but it does have potential to wear me down. I hope its leading somewhere else down the road.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
#6 featured a fairly humdrum outing for Mera. On a trip buying dog food for 'Aquadog', Mera experiences some 'real world' type of incidents. Nothing wrong with that, in fact, it's the sort of thing not shown often enough. However, as an establishing character-piece, it didn't quite instill the grandeur that I think she calls for.

The art's great. She is still going to be in the current day JLA when the time skips forward in that title, isn't she? Certain happenings here could color that...

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
They DID show her relationship with her father and her home colony on Earth, something I don't remember seeing before.
Was it in Flashpoint?
They showed a sister, anyway.

Just before Flashpoint, didn't her sister and Manta go into Mera's old dimension, with the portal being closed and Mera not being able to go home again?
Moot point, I guess.

I liked how Mera's powers were expanded when she drew the water out of the badguy's body.
I'm gonna like her new friend, I think.

[ March 02, 2012, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Candlelight ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I really enjoyed the Mera spotlight; she's one tough customer with regal dignity. Unlike Aquaman, she doesn't suffer fools gladly and she has her own sense of justice. She's a great symbol for the underestimated, the misjudged and the disregarded; haven't you wished you could respond when somebody brushes you off?

There was a real sense of how alien and alone she feels in this world, cut off from her own and misunderstood - and misunderstanding - our world.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I am really enjoying this new series. Who would have thought I would ever say that about an Aquaman series?

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
#7 starts what looks to be a potentially very good storyline, one that introduces yet another superteam predating the Justice League (apparently). The Others is hardly an original name, and the most interesting one is unfortunately killed by a dangerous Black Manta (whose debut this storyline is *really* about, I suppose).

I'm enjoying this title, too, but The Others in no way makes up for the absence of an Aqua-family other than Mera and Aquadog.

The art's beautiful, this issue. Seems like the Trench dwellers' story isn't as over as it seemed.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I AM LOOOOOOOOVING AQUAMAN!!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Can still say that after finishing # 7. This may be my current favorite DC title!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Really like the focus on new plots / characters, while firmly acknowledging the old. IMO, the Mera issue was a little cliche (though still somewhat enjoyable); but the new storyline, with it's wide cast and hints to a more robust past, is really working for me.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally read it. Still one of my favourite titles. Mera's "What the hell is going on?" was perfect.
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidChaos
Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidChaos   Email KidChaos         Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone else think it's delicious that AQUAMAN is outselling almost every Marvel comic?

--------------------
"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke

From: MI | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, yes I do...

I'm really enjoying Aquaman... this latest story arc seems very promising... plus I love the artwork... Mera looks beautiful...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

AQUAMAN 8 continues this title's trend of excellence. Johns' storytelling, respect of the Mera character and the artwork (no-shirt Arthur!!) continue to make me a happy camper.

I've enjoyed some previous Aquabooks, but I can state with certainty that THIS is my favorite Aquaseries version so far.

--------------------

Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

A great reveal at the end of #9!
I look forward to this book every month.

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

I only I just wish the JLA Aquaman was nearly as interesting as THIS one. They should make Mera a JLA member stat!
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.