Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Aquaman (Page 13)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Aquaman
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So this current storyline has pushed Aquaman to being my #2 favorite DCnU series (behind All Star Western). I'm just really digging it! The wonderful art by Reis and Prado are the main draw by far, as every page just explodes with action & drama and has a plethora of detail to go with the dynamism. That just works for me on every level.

The story itself is also very good, and I'm loving the introduction of so many new characters, and how it all ties into the larger mythology of Aquaman (Arthur's past, the epic grudge with Black Manta, etc).

My one small complaint is the issues really fly by, but that is something I'm finding with all of John's work. It could be he wants to let his artists really 'open up' the page. But still, no matter how fast I read it, I'm loving what I'm actually reading.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Cobes, i agree its a fast read, but I get that more because it's a page turner, and lets face it, Reis's art is definitely a page turner, than it is because it's thin on story (Liefeld's Hawkman, anyone?)

Still, both books have great art, but the difference in writing between the two is staggering.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Aquaman is THE best book I'm not actually collecting... [Good] My buddy Mike gets it faithfully and I let him piggyback on my DCBS order, so I get first dibs. [Big Grin] The art is fantastic and I love how... awesome Aquaman is! I'll probably get the trades eventually, when I have space on my monthly orders... Which shouldn't take long,actually; I'm feeling another culling coming on. Alot of stuff I'm getting currently from DC (even-- or is that especially? [Embarrassed] -- the Legion titles) just seem to be floating by me with nothing to provoke that old enthusiasm... Thank Grife for Indies!

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not too impressed by The Others. In fact, I forget who they are as soon as I close the comic. Except for the cosmonaut, I guess. The jungle girl isn't nearly as fun as she should be.

I don't like DC peppering it's line with all these teams preceding the Justice League. They're all pretty much duds compared with what they're replacing. IMO. If we had to lose the JSA, Freedom Fighters, etc. then at the least DC should've stuck to the Justice League *being* the trailblazers. That I could at least understand.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Garth gets mentioned by name in #14! And he still has purple eyes, which remains an Atlantean superstitious bugaboo in the new 52. It's not Arthur or Mera who speak of Garth, but Ocean Master, who sits on Atlantis' throne in his brother's absence. He's menacing as all get out, but it's in that soft-spoken, civilzed sort of tone that's really more dangerous than the usual bluster.

The way OM talks about Garth, he'll probably be a good bit younger than Dick Grayson. Which I hate, but at least he's not erased from the roll of availibility for all time.

[ November 29, 2012, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Garth gets mentioned by name in #14! And he still has purple eyes, which remains an Atlantean superstitious bugaboo in the new 52. It's not Arthur or Mera who speak of Garth, but Ocean Master, who sits on Atlantis' throne in his brother's absence. He's menacing as all get out, but it's in that soft-spoken, civilzed sort of tone that's really more dangerous than the usual bluster.

The way OM talks about Garth, he'll probably be a good bit younger than Dick Grayson. Which I hate, but at least he's no erased from the roll of availibility for all time.

On one hand, that's cool, happy for the Garth fans. On the other hand, that makes Kaldur/Jackson's placement in the DCU a little harder to gauge, and I'd much rather see him than Garth.
From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Maybe Garth can be his Aqualad in the seas and Jackson his Aqualad on land?

Or Garth can be Tempest from the get-go and Jackson Aqualad... or vice versa...

...hmmm. DC could rename Jackson Joshua and give him the surname 'Clay' and an automatic 'in' with the Doom Patrol whenever that property's 52 slot lands in DC's game of Russian Roulette.

Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Maybe Garth can be his Aqualad in the seas and Jackson his Aqualad on land?

I could see that--it's not really all that far off from what they did in the Young Justice cartoon: Garth and Kaldur were friends raised together in Atlantis who saved Aquaman's life one day. Aquaman offered to take them on as apprentices, and while Garth decided to keep going in his magical academy, Kaldur decided to go up to the surface world with Aquaman to become a superhero.
From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

I do like the cartoon's Kaldur, too, but really don't see him much like the Aqualad who appeared near the end of the last DCU at all. So using traits of each would make sense.

Or would there be three Aqualads? Why not give Batman a run for his money? Heck, thrown in Lagoon Boy, too!

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't have a problem with Kaldur. Jackson Hyde on the other hand, I completely loath, as I see him as nothing but a blatant marketing attempt to draw in more viewership of Young Justice and more sales regarding Brightest Day.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.