Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Aquaman (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Aquaman
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
I hadn't planned on picking up issue #2, but I got sucked in... not sure what I like about the book so much, but I was definitely looking forward to this issue... as much as I think Johns is kind of a hack, his stories sometimes have a way of taking me back to when I was a kid and used to literally shake with excitement over a comic... so, I'm along the ride for a while...

4 fins up

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
This book is amazing. #2 did not disappoint. Mera's awesomeness is just skimming the surface and I enjoy seeing them together as a functional couple again. I wonder if this incarnation negates the fact that they had a son or is this a do-over and fans may see this plot development rebooted. Also a plus is Arthur's connection to the surface and his human upbringing. A bigger treat is Mera's willingness to share this life with him. Made me love her more. How much did I love that page when the half dressed Aqua Couple opened the door to that cop and she unabashedly showed off her power?
So looking forward to #3 and this coming from someone who never followed any ongoing versions of Aquaman. The last time I bought an Aquaman comic happened when we were introduced to his blue uniform.

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
AQUAMAN wasn't on my pull list, and there hasn't been a single copy on the racks at my CBS. From what I've read, I think I would have liked it a lot.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm enjoying it. I've gotten all the recent Aquaman series (last twenty years is what I mean) but not all the mini's. And this one is quickly starting to stack up. I'm also loving the "I do more than talk to fish, so shove it up yer @$$!" attitude that the story has, but that Arthur is showing the patience NOT to, if that makes sense.

And I've always liked Mera more than Arthur. Hell, I married a redhead. So I'm liking it. A lot.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
I finally found AQUAMAN #1. It's the first Aquaman book I've ever bought, although I've always liked the "idea" of Aquaman more than Green Lantern, Flash, or Wonder Woman. (I also rarely or never bought their books.)

Arthur seems to be a powerful and probably honorable man trying to find home, although every land-dweller seems to see him as a caricature. ("How's it feel to be nobody's favorite super-hero?") His patience and sense of dignity is immense.

I like this guy. I want more.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
AQUAMAN KICKS ASS.

I **knew** Johns was going to make something of Mera with her starring role in BLACKEST NIGHT.

So glad to see that coming true here.

IMO, Aquaman and Mera should never have been apart.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Number one was excellent with art by Ivan Reis to absolutely DIE for! Definitely a Lardy/DCnU Top Pick!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
#2 was another good issue though not quite as awesome as #1. Of course, that's a big bar that they've set so I guess I can't expect it every issue.

The trench / killer fish dudes is a good development to set against Aquaman and Mera so far, but I'm hoping with the next issue we get something a little more substantial.

The artwork by Reis and Prado remains face-shatteringly good.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Is #2 as gross as the solicitation made it sound?

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Hm. Maybe not quite as gross as it sounded but still gross. A lot is left to the imagination but there is still a bit of being taken out of the story by big splashes of blood being whipped around in the backgrounds.

It was enough that I noticed it and stopped reading to think about how unnecessary it was. So, points off for that.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I figured as much. Thanks for confirming it, Cobie. I'm glad I'm giving this book as pass, much as I love Reis.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I still would recommend at least Byrning the first issue if possible. Nice character work therein.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Aquaman and Mera are beautiful together, but I'm not gonna really love this book till Garth is introduced/brought back.
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So, at the close of the first arc, my impressions are thus:

(A) All the scenes with Aquaman, Mera and even random walk-on cast members were simply fantastic. Really great stuff full of subtlties and chemistry, beautifully rendered by Reis and Prado.

(B) All the scenes dealing with the action, and "adventure" were pretty boring and yawn-inducing. They also included the typical over the top violence quota that Johns feels is a requirement for every comic book.

While the latter part certainly takes away from the aggregate score of the story, I did enjoy it enough to feel positive about it.

I hope Johns takes advantage of having such a dynamic art team with ocean settings. And I hope DC doesn't botch the whole thing up with super-dark coloring. Sure, deep within the ocean is pitch-black, but take some artistic license. Give us something beautiful to behold!

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
That's pretty much my reaction - the action/villain scenes are run-of-the-mill, but the book shines with the human relationships - Aquaman and Mera, or those two with the people around them.

Too bad the action didn't have more punch, given the gravity of the situation: an entire, unknown race of beings facing extinction, then being wiped out by Aquaman to save land-dwellers. Also, it didn't make sense that these ocean-deep beings couldn't survive on fish and other ocean creatures - they could only eat human meat? Maybe I missed something.

I'm quite looking forward to the next arc, since I'm a big sucker for Atlantis stories.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.