Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Aquaman (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Aquaman
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm... you're right. I think I will try the monthly for a few issues, despite my newfound committment to buying all but the titles I care about the most in TPBs.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
I glanced through it - it's very, very Silver Age DC; especially the kid sidekick.

I hated it, you'll probably love it.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I wasn't feeling the Sword of Atlantis by Busiek. It wasn't bad but I was very bored.

I'll check the new guy out.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
'Boot, I didn't really groove on it either. You could almost see the writer filling in an outline.
(Sidekick) Topo
(Shocking reveal) Tempest
(Cliffhanger) Death

But I think it was such a drastic tonal change from Busiek that I was put off. I'm giving Williams 3 issues to settle in.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I actually liked the first few issues of Busiek's run that I read, and I think the basic underwater swordfighter take on the character is really interesting. But, yeah, it seemed kind of boring after awhile. I still think it would be better as a reboot of the franchise, and I'm kind of concerned that their going to get too bogged down in dealing with old continuity stuff (which I could care less about).

[ March 28, 2007, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree EDE. I liked the sword/sorcery take but it just got murky. I don't know what's happening half the time.

I think they should keep the sword/sorcery Aquaman. I like him better than the sci-fi AM. With that said I loved the Sub Diego setting. So who knows.

If I was a writer Aquaman would be the last title I would want to write. It's hard.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

It seems to me that with the right marketing, you could actually sell this version of Aquaman to a lot of the fantasy manga-buying crowd, and other people who wouldn't read traditional "super-hero" comic books. Unfortunately, it's not going to get that kind of push from DC.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
No, we probably won't.

I think Busiek's run started with a bang and ended with a whimper. I picked up the first issue of the latest run and found myself getting distracted and bored by the end. Big things such as Tempest returning and Mera learning for certain that the Dweller is the true Aquaman should have been dramatic and thrilling...but they really weren't.

Sidekick is UGH. Mera as a main character is YAY. Vulko appearing more is YAY. King Shark and sword/sorcery Aquaman is a cool combo and I like I think the potential is there to make this a thrilling series. I think making Orin more like Atlan, his father, could really be cool and then using this new Arthur as the prime-protagnist in a swords & sorcery style story could be a good hook, but they need to give us some sense of a larger story being told with characters that we care about.

I feel like its all there waiting for someone to take it and run with it, but no one seems to be able to.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It seems like the new writer is breaking up the A-Man / King Shark duo in favour of Topo (UGH!)

Arthur has become a favourite character, and I'd really like to see him make it.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Hmm... based on Cobie's review, I think I'm switching back to the original plan of only picking up a trade.

I'm actually not thrilled by the idea of a rebooted Topo.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
If King Shark actually really does leave the series I'll be serverely dissapointed. Not only has he been very interesting, but no one can deny how awesome his visual is.

Topo simply does not belong here.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
The big "return of Tempest" turned out to be very disappointing...as did this entire issue. I wasn't thrilled with Buziek's story but this one feels even worse. I had high hopes for Tad Williams but I'm curently dountful. I'll give it a few more issues but if things don't improve, I'll be done with it.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
There was definitely a different tone than the previous issues. I liked it, though. I thought the new Topo was funny. I wouldn't want him to be a 'real' sidekick, but as a minor recurring character? Sure. I want to know what's up with the 'hatches' he keeps mentioning.

Though Tempest's return was somewhat underwhelming, I'm just glad to see him back. Here's hoping he finds some Grecian Under-the-Sea Formula soon. White hair does *not* work for this guy. Maybe Topo'll 'ink' him...

The art's the sore point, for me. I like the backgrounds and the characters who've never appeared before. But characters we're supposed to know just don't look like themselves. Mera, especially, looked wrong.

It is an opening issue, remember. I think the standards for those have gotten impossible. Does every new creator's first issue *have* to be remarkable? Can't a writer/artist *ease* into their storyline?

Answering my own question, comics *have* gotten expensive. So, I can understand those who expect more for their expenditure.

I'm guessing that everything that seems underworked in this issue will be addressed as the storyline progresses. Perhaps it's a sort of outline of what will be covered. I'm curious about what's up with Tempest, King Shark (Tad Williams has said he'll be back, I believe), etc.

I'm glad Windward House is still around and will appear. I really liked that addition to the AQUAMAN title.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Out of curiosity... does Aquaman still fight pirates?
Eryk Davis Ester

So, I picked up the first Sword of Atlantis trade and read it last night, and it's actually pretty awesome!

I actually think it reads much better this way than it did in the few issues I bought when they came out did.

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.