Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Aquaman (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Aquaman
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
CB, I also hated the autopsy scene and felt that it might have been more effective if it was not shown so explicitly. It was a tad bit disturbing.

I actually enjoyed the first 12 issues of Aquaman purely on a sadistic, "how-bad-can-it-get" level. I'll stick with the new writer through the first story arc at least.

(edited to delete a potential spoiler)

[ February 21, 2004, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Super Lad Kid ]

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
SLK, the first twelve issues of Aquaman are funny in that they can actually be enjoyed in the 'how bad can it get' way. I couldn't get past issue eight myself, but I was laughing up until that point, especially when the two scantitly clad valkryes showed up and started helping Garth and Arthur!

I'm hoping this new writer makes things better, but we'll see. I'm so-so right now.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Hah! I think they were Brunhald and Gertrude or something. I think the whole situation with Black Manta was so ridiculous it was funny (to me anyway). He wasn't really an infant-murdering maniac. He's just misunderstood. Also, the giant river goddesses sitting in big thrones in what seemed like arbitraty spots around the world? Who thought that would make for a compelling storyline? Why only four rivers? Why not the Mississippi or the Amazon? Three issues had almost exactly the same plot. Aquaman battles the Thirrrssssttt, loses, a river queen gets sucked dry and Aquaman loses a finger. Wretched stuff.
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
I partially agree Cobbie. But I actually liked Luthor as president. That made for a higher level of sneakiness, to me. Having your number one enemy be the leader of the free world just made for better story-telling. Or should have.

What I found disappointing was the [spoiler]snipped![/spoiler] at the end of Superman/Batman #6. I had hoped we wouldn't see him again.

Truly, one of the worst comics I've bought in a loooong time. Jeph Loeb should be ashamed for forcing Ed McGuinness to draw such lovely pictures to accompany such crappy writing.

[ February 23, 2004, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Star Boy ]

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Star Boy:
[QBTruly, one of the worst comics I've bought in a loooong time. Jeph Loeb should be ashamed for forcing Ed McGuinness to draw such lovely pictures to accompany such crappy writing.[/QB]

Not the best ending to the arc, which I was enjoying up to that point. I did like that crazy robot though.

What disappointed me was that, since they brought Nightwing and crew on board in #5 just to get them all creamed, they weren't around for the finale.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
quote:
Originally posted by Star Boy:
[QBTruly, one of the worst comics I've bought in a loooong time. Jeph Loeb should be ashamed for forcing Ed McGuinness to draw such lovely pictures to accompany such crappy writing.

Not the best ending to the arc, which I was enjoying up to that point. I did like that crazy robot though.

What disappointed me was that, since they brought Nightwing and crew on board in #5 just to get them all creamed, they weren't around for the finale.[/QB]

This is one arc that I'm definitely going to go back and read in one sitting (probably after I finish reading Planetary). But I know the ending isn't going to be any better the next time around.

You would think DnA had something to do with it. [Big Grin]

[ February 23, 2004, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

But hey, you've got to give Jeph Loeb credit for taking Lex Luthor into a bold, umm, new, umm, exciting direction? Ah never mind.
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
#15 had sold out. According to The Pulse, DC has no plans to go back to press on the issue.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone still following this? I have, even through a run of terrible art. The last issue was a pleasant surprise. The artist was none other than a great favorite --- Chris Batista. I love this guy's work.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Chris Batista seems to be the 'go-to' guy for fill-ins at the moment after this issue of Aquaman and the latest Firestorm. I hope he finds a home somewhere soon. He's an excellent artist! Maybe if Barry finds the pace too much on the new series Chris can help with back-ups? His run was cut far too short on the last series.

P.S. No - I'm not following Aquaman anymore. I picked up the first few issues of Pfeiffer's run and they were OK but I didn't like Lorena's rapid and fake transition from nobody to "spunky" heroine and then the last straw was that issue where the villain spent the ENTIRE ISSUE explaining his evil plan! [Eek!] And to think that once upon a time they could have done it in about 3 panels!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

I had finally dropped this from my pull list too. Damn! Was his Firestorm issue the Identity Crisis cross-over?
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm still following it as well.

Pfeiffer's off the book, from what I hear. John Ostrander is doing some fill-ins and then John Arcudi takes over.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Was his Firestorm issue the Identity Crisis cross-over?

Yes it was boss.
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
John Ostrander is doing fill-ins between Aquaman writers _again_? Of course, I thought he wrote better stories in fill-ins than I saw from Veitch or Pfeiffer.

[ November 02, 2004, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: ferroboy ]

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
OKAY, the latest issue has come out. I've been picking it up irregularly.

Are people feeling this new creative team? Doesn't it feel like they just keep on switching teams mid-stream (so to speak)?

What's up?

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.