Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » DAWN of the $4 COMIC/soaring gas prices = dropping titles (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: DAWN of the $4 COMIC/soaring gas prices = dropping titles
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
What with a single gallon of gas now reaching and exceeding the price of some comics, and an influx of minis and new series I am interested in, something's got to give.

TEEN TITANS GO and ASTRO CITY have been axed from my pull, and I don't expect my long run with THE FLASH to survive Geoff Johns' departure. I dropped FIRESTORM two months ago, and DOOM PATROL is ending shortly. I will only buy JLA arcs that are GOOD-- no more crap-arcs.

I did add SUPERGIRL but just for a trial run.

[ November 22, 2008, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: MLLASH ]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Jeph Loeb is likely off SUPERGIRL after a few issues because of the exclusive with Marvel.

I've dropped OUTSIDERS, but not due to gas prices. SUPER MANGA BLAST may go soon if the "Club 9" strip wraps up.

I'm totally with you re: JLA arcs.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I only get a few to begin with. Currently, I get Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, JSA, JSA:Classified and LSH. My comics store has a minimum five for a pull list. If I had to drop one, it would probably be Flash. We'll see.

[ August 14, 2005, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Rockhopper Lad ]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This is why I only do mail order now. Bigger discounts and I can give more titles a try. The only reason I even run to the CBS now is when Legion comes out and that's because I'm too impatient to wait for my order to be delivered.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Just wait until you get to the level of petrol prices over here Lash. (currently sitting at almost £1.00 per liter or close on £5.00 per gallon, which I think is about $8.00 US)

Ouch

It costs me around £38 sterling to fill my car every week and a half.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm considering having my home phone shut off in anticipation of the heating bills for this coming winter. It's not really much of a hardship for me, since I have my cell phone, and really rarely use my home phone. It just sucks when you have to start going without just to make ends meet.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I work out of my truck. Which means i fill up every day, sometimes twice, depending on the mileage. I put $15 dollars in and got 6 gallons.

Man, i am seriousl up against it. My gas bill went from around $100 a week to about $250. And that's money out of my pocket.

My pull may be getting seriously short with this and a baby on the way. I am seriously thinking of getting a motorcycle. Same amount of miles for about a fifth of the cost.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargazer
One Monkeys Opinion...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargazer           Edit/Delete Post     
I hear you Rickshaw. I drive 44 miles 1 way to work. Plus I have to do some sales calls so I put the miles on the car. I filled up at $2.49 a gallon...eeeep

I heard by September we are suppose to be 3 bucks a gallon.

I think I need to look into mail order.

--------------------
Looking for Earth Prime.

From: Conroe Texas | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't drive that much & heat with wood so the direct gas/oil price isn't a killer on the budget (yet). However, it should work its way into the cover price of the comics, which I already find quite high for the pamphlets.

Book-wise, I'm pretty trimmed down except for this Infinite Crisis stuff - but after the four mini-series conclude, I'm discontinuing that. I just find the OMAC stuff silly at this point. Maybe I'll pick up some titles when the dust settles next year and the hero-killing is finished - but they will have to deliver a lot of story for me to shell out what could be $5 Canadian by then.

That would just leave me with Legion & Fables on a committed monthly basis, along with some irregularly published books like Age of Bronze and independent/small press issues. I'm still getting a fair number of trades and GNs.

I haven't been a big fan - or follower - of web comics, but have enjoyed following Girl Genius on-line, so I'm starting to accept that comics on-line may be becoming more of a reality. For me, anyways.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Was only 30 years ago that comics only cost 20 cents? How times have changed now that inflation is here to stay...grrrrr
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I am seriously looking at trimming down to only some titles. I currently buy:

Action
Strangers in Paradise
GL
JSA/classified
JLA/Classified
Flash
Hawkman
Fables
She-hulk when it returns
Hulk with PAD
Legion of course
Robin again, but its fading
Defexx when its published
BoP, quietly one of the best books out there
Omac
VU
Aquaman
And i was waiting on Nightwing to lose Grayson from the writing, but that doesnt look like it is gonna happen.
I bought GA until winnick came aboard, but dropped it with him. I resume later.
I used to buy all the batman titles, but dropped them.
Bought Allstar B & R, but didn't think it was that good, so may not continue.
I buy Astonishing Xmen, first x book i could stand in years, but it is declining.
I did buy Girl Genius, but it went online.
Zatanna, because i loved her before the latest mini, but it is really sucking.

I'm thinking of cutting it down to Flash, Fables, Hawkman, Legion, GL, the JSA's , and maybe a floater or two.

Just too many costs lately. And not enough real quality books to make me spend the way i used too.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Oh, and if She-hulk and Hulk maintain the quality, i'll try to scrape up enough for them. Otherwise, i may just start to fill in holes in my collections, and sell off some of the thousands of books i don't want anymore.

Same for BoP. Action may survive due to gail as well.

And legion had better start picking up storywise. Seriously. The book has been very slow to me. Barry's art is Freaktastic, but the writing...I dunno, Waid is a very good writer, but something about his Legion stints are just...off a little to me.

And I think all of you know how much i love Legion.

--------------------

Something pithy!

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's help for all of us who want to know what's going on but don't have unlimited $$$$....

Weekly DC & Marvel Spoilers from Johanna Draper-Carlson & friends

Nothin' but plot. Wanna know what's going on without shelling out big bucks? We post spoilers for DC and Marvel superhero comic books.

Why? Because we disagree with the growing emphasis on superhero "universes" and event-driven writing and marketing.

Because comics are too expensive to buy just because a crossover tells you you should.

Because fans who only care about shock plotting and what happens next aren't good for the industry.

Because it costs too much to follow characters you love through ten titles a month.

Because a good comic is still a good read even if you know what happens.

[ August 17, 2005, 03:21 AM: Message edited by: Fat Cramer ]

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Same here.

Flash, Green Arrow, Hawkman, Outsiders, Firestorm and the Bat titles may go bye bye. Same for the Superman books.

The only consisten good reads for me are:

Legion
Titans
JSA
Fables

JSA Classified and JLA/Classified may continue until something really bad or it just gets boaring..

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I thankfully live 5 minutes away from anywhere I want to go. If not gas would be a bitch.

My gf on the other hand has to drive 30 minutes to and from work. ouch. I am buying a smaller car next year. well a Jeep Wrangler but still small.

I also only collect about 8 titles so I don't spend so much on comics. I have stopped buying tpbs all together (almost).

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.