Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » DAWN of the $4 COMIC/soaring gas prices = dropping titles (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: DAWN of the $4 COMIC/soaring gas prices = dropping titles
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
"Because a good comic is still a good read even if you know what happens."

I really go for this one. Same goes for movies.

This is the difference between, say, MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (blow the ending and you're done) and DEATH ON THE NILE (the 2nd time you watch it it's actually BETTER! --and I've seen it about 6 times now).

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
WOW... i'm just re-entering the workforce (and real life, it feels like) after getting a masters at UCLA ... things like budgeting for gas, food, books, debt, savings, rent again

just on the job hunt now ... but i was kvetching over some small stuff -- thanks for putting stuff in perspective folks -- your honesty is appreciated

the guy i've been dating commented on my comic-buying ... he didn't get that comics are a part of my living expenses - just like the gym (where he too can be found most days)

these gas prices are soaring much faster than paper nowadays ... shocking but inevitable - i wish public transport worked better here in south florida (even LA was more dependable)

a buddy uses a file-sharing application for comics - it actually does a pretty decent job of displaying the book on-screen (with some layout difficulties - i expect that some artists are now being encouraged to produce pages that don't go on-screen easily) ... with a high-speed connection, it's cool - and you can follow books a lot more effectively/economically (it's caused me to pick up trades i might have passed otherwise, as well as maintaining my good feeling about companies/creators when i skim a book that sucks)

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
"budgeting for gas, food, books, debt, savings, rent again"

Run. Go back to school. Quick!

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
I read an innane number of comic books... but it's very much the free, so... yeah. I can read the shitty ones too. (And, believe me, sometimes I do. >< Stupid character loyalty...)

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jorg-EM:
"budgeting for gas, food, books, debt, savings, rent again"

Run. Go back to school. Quick!

LOL
i need a break from all that ... get tired of struggling through that rat race

i figure 2 years here in lauderdale/miami to handle financial stuff, buy a condo and then either go get a PhD (studying comics, of course) back in NYC area and/or move to Paris (where i wouldn't have to worry about gas/petrol prices)
[yes, i managed to swerve back INTO the thread topic]

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
i fell deeply behind in getting my comics (like 5 months behind) in my subscription folder at my comicsbook shop so i went in yesterday and plunked down $130.00 on comics. and i still have about another $50.00 of books left over that i'll have to get the week after next. it's a dang good thing i don't have a car because half of what i spent on comics yesterday would've gone in the gas tank.

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
...but it wouldn't take you five months to get to your comicbook shop... [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
YAY! Gas is cheaper than comics again!

Thank goodness because I added THE THING, MS. MARVEL, 52, etc etc etc to my pulls!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Heh.

I'm in a similar boat. I dropped SUPER MANGA BLAST and GOTHAM CENTRAL is going but I'll be adding 52 and MOUSE GUARD and trying out NIGHTWING again.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

From CBR:

A GALLON OF GAS OR A COMIC? HOW RISING OIL PRICES AFFECT THE COMICS INDUSTRY

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I was shocked. I stopped to pick up my comics on my way home Sunday, and two weeks worth of comics = 2 books. Mind you, I then pulled like 6 more off the shelf, but I can't remember the last time my pull list was so small. The funny thing is that I still have quite a few titles on my list, but I guess it was the timing [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
From CBR:

A GALLON OF GAS OR A COMIC? HOW RISING OIL PRICES AFFECT THE COMICS INDUSTRY

Great article by them. Very informative. I guess I am lucky that the CBS I go to is on the way home for me.
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Recently dropped titles:
Supreme Power - I just don't care I've realized.

New X-Men - post HoM this title has lost my love.

possibly Ultimate X-Men - just not enjoyable since about #36.

possibly Y: the Last Man - if this is ending soon, I'll finish my run, but the story has dragged too long.

Just so Marvel doesn't think the legendary Cobalt Kid is picking on them, I'll gladly state that have no intention of picking up Winnick's Captain Marvel (fool me four times Winnick? I don't think so) or OMAC (so last year!).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Agree with all those; I only pick up Y in trades, anyway. And it is a finite series, ending with #60; BKV confirmed that awhile back.

I've REdropped Nightwing, am dropping Hawkwoman, Ms. Marvel, Supergirl, and Shadowpact, and Thing and Manhunter have been canceled on me.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Besides Supergirl, I agree those other titles you mentioned aren't exactly wowing me (add Green Arrow and Outsiders to it too). Not being cancelled yet, but nothing is safe these days...

Shame about Thing and Manhunter though, but I guess it makes a lighter burden on my wallet.

I also just don't have it in me to give Virgin Comics a try. My heart still hearts from Crossgen and this doesn't peak my interest 1/10th like Crossgen did.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.