Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » DAWN of the $4 COMIC/soaring gas prices = dropping titles (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: DAWN of the $4 COMIC/soaring gas prices = dropping titles
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
DROPPED:

HAWKGIRL
GREEN ARROW (though I don't think it is a bad read)

DROPPED FOR ME:

THE THING
HARD TIME

MINIS ENDING SOON:

DEAD GIRL
DAUGHTERS OF THE DRAGON

So this will pretty much free up a little space to add JLoA and Wonder Woman.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
[QBMINIS ENDING SOON:

DAUGHTERS OF THE DRAGON
[/QB]

Technically, DoD -is- continuing as the new Heroes For Hire... see the thread I started for some yummalicious preview art! [Yes]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Since POV couldn't link to his own thread... [Wink]

Heroes for Hire

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I'll check the link. If it's the same writers, I'm going to have to get it...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
You know, this entire thread has convinced me to go through with it and drop Ultimate X-Men. Thanks guys!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

[Bump]

Gas prices are back up there-- how's that affecting you collecting?

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
nothing but DC for me.....though I think I will drop

Hawkgirl
Aquaman

Just not exiciting me as I thought it would be.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Dropped for me:

Hawkgirl
Manhunter
Firestorm

Dropped self:

Wolverine: Origins
Ms. Marvel
Heroes for Hire
Ant-Man

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I dropped Fantastic Four. Paul Pelletier's art was nice as usual, but it wasn't enough to compensate for Dwayne McDuffie's dull scripts.

Also Adjectiveless X-Men (good stories, bad art)and Uncanny X-Men (bad stories, mediocre art).

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
Dropped:
Excalibur after Claremont leaves.
X-men & Uncanny X-men. kinded pissed after what happened to Corsair.
gonna Drop the FF after McDuffie & Pelletier leaves.
Ms.Marvel

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I'm dropping Ms. Marvel but I added Slott's I-Avengers.

Mainly, the gas prices have kept me from buying stuff I might have otherwise, like GREEN LANTERN, ATOM, FLASH and BLUE BEETLE, and AMAZONS ATTACK. To this day I haven't bought an issue of any.

These days, I'm going to have to be pretty sure I like something before I get it (like the upcoming BOOSTER GOLD series-- that looks good).

Plus I had to make room for 52 and have to keep room for COUNTDOWN.

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Soaring Canadian dollar = dropping titles. If publishers don't adjust their prices, I'm dropping titles on principle. According to this article by Don MacPherson (link thanks to journalista, Marvel & Image are planning to adjust but DC offers no comment.

MacPherson also makes a good point about comic freelancers being affected by currency exchange rates.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Wow, that's interesting about the large reduction in the value gap between Canadian and US dollars being tantamount to what, a 50% paycut for our Canadian creators... I wonder if mechana can or wants to confirm this? [Frown]

--------------------

Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Soaring Canadian dollar = dropping titles. If publishers don't adjust their prices, I'm dropping titles on principle. According to this article by Don MacPherson (link thanks to journalista, Marvel & Image are planning to adjust but DC offers no comment.

MacPherson also makes a good point about comic freelancers being affected by currency exchange rates.

The cover price is just a guideline. In fact I'm pretty sure that Canadian retailers are pocketing the extra 50-75 cents. In Toronto several big stores have charged US price in CADs even when the cover price for Marvels was 4.75 for a 2.99 comic. My understanding from talking to my store's owner is that their Cost of Goods Sold is anywhere from $1.25-2.00 CAD on a $3 US book and has been constant or decreasing in CAD terms with the rising dollar. So the extra 65 cents tacked on goes direct to the retailers' bottom line.

The point about freelancers is a good one. Anyone wonder why Toronto and Canada seems to have a disproportionate number of Comic professionals? Well the falling dollar was a big factor in making those jobs attractive for Canadians. So I guess artists will have to be like all the other labour around here and find ways to increase their productivity if they want to keep their income up and stay in the field. And yes since 2003 when those greenbacks were worth almost 1.60 loonies to now when they are a measly 1.004 loonies a paycut of 37.5% in CAD terms.

Canadian retailers have been very slow to cut prices on goods where the world wide price is set in US dollars. I'm thinking electronics and clothing mostly. That new pair of New Balance 817MC running shoes 99.99 in Buffalo is still 139.99 in Toronto.

Thankfully the Canadian Dollar rose faster than the price of oil so that $80 USD oil is actually cheaper than it was last summer. Some of us are resorting to desperate measures. Those outlet malls in North Tonawanda [Shudder] are calling.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Well, gas here just passed $3.50-- bye-bye, JSA CLASSIFIED!

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.