Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » DAWN of the $4 COMIC/soaring gas prices = dropping titles (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: DAWN of the $4 COMIC/soaring gas prices = dropping titles
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Dark Avengers seemed to pave the way for $3.99, and my comic book store: completely sold out of #1 and #2. And that's rare for them to sellout a title, since they order big anyway.

Actually, Secret Invasion & Final Crisis paved the way. Here's the top ten-selling comics of 2008. Spot the common theme:

quote:
1. SECRET INVASION #1 ($3.99), Marvel Comics
2. SECRET INVASION #2 ($3.99), Marvel Comics
3. SECRET INVASION #3 ($3.99), Marvel Comics
4. SECRET INVASION #4 ($3.99), Marvel Comics
5. SECRET INVASION #5 ($3.99), Marvel Comics
6. SECRET INVASION #6 ($3.99), Marvel Comics
7. UNCANNY X-MEN #500 ($3.99), Marvel Comics
8. SECRET INVASION #7 ($3.99), Marvel Comics
9. FINAL CRISIS #1 ($3.99), DC Comics
10. SECRET INVASION #8 ($3.99), Marvel Comics

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, there you go. I blame comic book fans [Big Grin]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, so I noticed that REBELS, JLoA and JSA ALL-STARS are all $3.99 and these books have no bonus features.

I could justify TEEN TITANS and DOOM PATROL at $4 with their bonus features, and stuff like CRY FOR JUSTICE and SUPERMAN SECRET ORIGIN because of the nice paper, and Marvel's $4 minis because they are short-lived minis.

But I'm not sure I can justify ongoing normal page count titles at $4. REBELS hasn't increased page count, has it?? I will have to check...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
All have extra pages, Lash. REBELS goes back to its normal page count (and price) next month. JLA is solicited at $3.99 and 40 pages (as opposed to the regular 32 including ads) the next coupla months. Bagley's fast, so maybe they're using that to have more pages each month. All-Stars is solicited as having a Liberty Belle/Hourman backup.

So DC's sticking with their "more bang for yer buck" approach with the higher priced titles. No such luck over at Marvel....

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Looks like DC Comics will start pricing its regular 32 page stories at $3.99 just like Marvel has been doing.

The Boards of Directors at Time-Warner & Disney win again.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Well, this is VERY bad news for me.

For the first time ever, I am going to have to make a VERY serious decision about wether or not I can afford this hobby anymore.

Every time prices have gone up, I've made cuts to my monthly pulls. but THIS... from $3 to $4 an issue... that's just TOO too much. That is a MASSIVE price spike.

I am sure to keep picking up old faves like LEGION, and may commit to longtime loves (such as Ambush Bug in Doom Patrol), and stick with proven writers that I love (Giffen/Demmateis for instance)... but all else is GONE.

Cobie, any word on an IMAGE price hike? I'd certainly stick with WALKIND DEAD, but might switch to the TPB route.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Hmmm... I already dropped TEEN TITANS and was on the fence with JSA ALL-STARS. No more fence-sitting, ALL-STARS is CUT, *NOW*.

I added SUPERMAN after Matter-Eater Lad appeared but that comic book is awful. CUT.

I fence-sat FLASH # 2. Won't get it. CUT.

I wasn't going to drop POWER GIRL after 12 but now I am. CUT.

It will be harder for me to bring the axe down on stuff like SECRET SIX and BRAVE and BOLD...

--------------------

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
So, I wonder if sales plummet will they be smart enough to reduce the prices? Or does supply and demand work in our economy anymore.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I haven't been enjoying REBELS much. CUT.

Sales will assuredly plummet on most titles.

We could honestly be on the verge of a Bat-Super-Wonder-whatever Geoff Johns writes era ONLY output of titles for DC.

Hmmm... I, ZOMBIE... I love Allred enough to keep this one...

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Unless sales drop more than 33%, they still stand to profit off it, right?

It's the typical squeeze-more-money-out-of-less-and-less-people mentality.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I see from the article that Gail Simone has a new WELCOME TO TRANQUILITY series coming out.

I loved the previous WtT series... I'm of a mind that Gail is one of those writers I can show loyalty to, as I tend to enjoy her stuff... so I will plan to keep SECRET SIX (as well as BoP assuming # 1 is as good as her previous BoP stuff), and will not stress about adding WtT since I am dropping lots of other titles.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Yup. I was sad to see this. Like Lash, I think this will mean several titles I never thought about cutting will get cut: I'm looking at you JSA and All-Stars.

I would not be surprised if DC eventually cancels everything due to lack of sales besides Supes / Bats / Geoff once sales plummet for some titles.

To be fair, I don't know when each title will reach $3.99 but the article seemed to indicate just about all of them soon.

Image has made no comments on what their prices will be; I'm pretty sure each individual creative team sets their own price. This would be the perfect time for an Image title to hold the line at $2.99 and get new readers. An independent comic at $2.99 only selling about 10,000 copies can still make a boatload of cash each month for its creators.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

This I vow:

If IMAGE holds the $2.99 line, I vow to purchase one new IMAGE book a month, and if I like what I read, add it to my pull.

Cobie, you can help me pick out what to try!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I certainly will! From here on, I will keep an eye on the price of any Image Comic I buy & review. Recently I picked up #1 of Turf for $2.99 and thought it was pretty awesome--I'll be getting the rest of the series. Check out my review of it here!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Chew is also another really groovy Image Comic that I believe is $2.99. It's totally up your alley, Lash--hilarious and weird!

I totally recommend picking up the next issue, as I believe it kicks off a new storyline. The first trade is $9.99 BTW, if you get interested in back issues.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.