Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Wonder Woman (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Wonder Woman
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I read the first issue today. I must say it was pretty good. This is definitely more like it. I am sooo glad they are downplaying the gods - at least in this issue. Storylines with the gods really never made a bit of sense to me.

For what it is worth - I'm liking it so far.

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It was totally different from what I expected and it was great. I thought it was really a great first issue. Action started immediately, never let up but you got some great characterization and a surprise and two too.

Go get it kids! This is a great new Wonder Woman!

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow!! Yay!! At first, I was freaked out because Tamper Lad is evil ( [Wink] ) but, ohmigod, so much [Love] !!

Anyway, a few questions...
Click Here For A Spoiler-- Who is Nemesis? New character or..?
-- If that Sarge guy knows Wonder Woman is Diana, wouldn't he suspect "Diana Prince" is her?
-- Am I the only one who finds Donna Troy a lot less annoying all of a sudden? [Wink]

Like it way a lot. Like, whoa. And, yeah, muuuuch love. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Cali...

Click Here For A Spoiler - Nemesis is an old character that I first remember from Sucide Squad. He was the master of faces and was a super spy. He was supposed to be dead, but later showed up working for the DEO.

- i'm think that Sarge Steel knows, that would also explain why he isn't part of Checkmate.

- Donna is awesome in the issue

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks Vu!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I put WW on my pull list to try it out, but my only concern is that Heinberg is only committed to the first 5 issues. What if I love this series, and then he leaves after a couple of issues and someone I don't like takes over?

The humanity! [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stratum
Booster Club President

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stratum           Edit/Delete Post     
I have to say, I loved it. I really don't see the change sticking...especially with Heinberg only doing five issues. But it has lots of potential.

What amazed me is my nine year old daughter wanted to read it and was able to grasp 35+ years of convoluted history in one go..... [Smile]

She liked it too, BTW.

Jamie

From: Wood River, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
For Cali and Vu -

Click Here For A SpoilerNemesis (Tom Tresser) was a character created by Cary Burkett for the second feature in BRAVE AND THE BOLD #167 (OCT 1980). He appeared in his own back-up for several issues before he was killed in BRAVE AND THE BOLD #193 (DEC 1982).

Later, John Ostrander used him in SUICIDE SQUAD and revealed that he faked his death. He has appeared on and off for years, until Devin Grayson killed him off again in CATWOMAN #62 (October 1998). But, I think he's appeared elsewhere alive and well. And now he's here in WONDER WOMAN #1. Unless it's a new guy.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
great first issue, loved the artwork !!

it was interesting to see DONNA in the main role, and i loved the inclusion of what looks like a new supporting cast !! [ especially NEMESIS ]

looking forward to what comes next ......

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
I put WW on my pull list to try it out, but my only concern is that Heinberg is only committed to the first 5 issues. What if I love this series, and then he leaves after a couple of issues and someone I don't like takes over?

The humanity! [Smile]

I'm going to wait for the trade. You know it's coming, and by then, we'll learn about WW's future past issue 5. Plus, I'll have a groovy story to put on my bookshelf.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
After reading the first ish the first thing I thought was that this is going to be a multipart story just to find out what's going on and what the premise of the series is going to be. I don't think I care right now.

Interesting that Steve Trevor makes an "appearance" -- As a #1 issue, I'm sure a lot of people recognize the name, but as a newbie I want to know what place Steve Trevor really has in current contiuity.

Ultimately this felt like another chapter in an event rather than the first issue of a new era. I'll look to see if #2 interests me, but I have a feeling we'll be dragged along for awhile before we find out what really happened.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
WONDER WOMAN #1

Book of the week, for me. Easily.

spoiler space

spoiler space

spoiler space

spoiler space

spoiler space

spoiler space

spoiler space

spoiler space

Donna Troy as Wonder Woman? How'd she get here from Harbinger on New Chronus? Maybe 52 references the number of identities for this much misused heroine to adopt. I mostly enjoyed her in her new role, though she does seem to be much less competent that I would've thought. Guess she got rusty on that crescent moon, huh?

I liked the new look for Cheetah- though her choice in cats seems odd. They don't look much cheetahs. Dr. Psycho? How'd he get out of jail? Guess Kate in MANHUNTER (you ought to give *that* series a try!) is an even better defense lawyer than a prosecutor! I would've liked to see more pervy joy in him impersonating Diana, though. This little scumbucket would've really got off on that little act. It's great to see Giganta... though her new uniform makes her look like the love-child of Yellowjacket and a Giant Wasp.

It's a good villain grouping for a first WW issue. I can't imagine that the two villainesses would tolerate a long partnership with woman-hating Dr. Psycho, though.

Cool fake-out with Steve Trevor/Nemesis. I hope he's a member of the supporting cast for a long time. I always liked Tom Tressor and his disguise motif. He's a good match for superspy, Diana Prince(!) Or will he be Donna Troy's 'problem'?

Now Diana was a surprise! The last time we saw Diana in all-white, she had a memory problem. Both appearances reference a period in Wondy's career that many fans apparently love. I have to confess that I think I've only read one of the 'I Ching' issues, so I don't have a huge sentimental spark for the all-whites. I wonder if there's any connection to CHECKMATE?

Though I miss the gods and Themyscira immensely, this is an exciting start to the new series.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Diana Prince working as a government agent reminds me of the old TV show more than anything else (when's the little robot sidekick going to show up?)
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I love Donna Troy but at this point I have to agree with some that she just confuses the heck out of things!!! With that said great issue. I have to admit if it wasn't for the last page I would be a bit worried.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
So Donna is Wonder Woman now? Is this a temporary thing until Diana comes back, or is this supposedly permanent? And is she impersonating Diana, or do people realize that this is a new Wonder Woman?

If this is permanent, I wish they would have gone with a new costume to kind of give Donna her own "identity". It was different with the Flash, since his identity was a secret anyways. But this would be like Catherine Zeta-Jones becoming the new Angelina Jolie and moving in with Brad and Suri. Sure, they look somewhat similar, but she's obviously not Angelina so why would she be wearing her life?

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.