Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Wonder Woman (Page 22)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Wonder Woman
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Of all the Wonder Woman series over the years that I've sampled, this is the most interesting - largely because of the gods (very Greek Street, although I abandoned that series). I just wonder where it's going to go - will it be a on-going series of stories in which Diana has to deal with the interference of her god-relatives in human affairs, or will they recede into the background?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm enjoying the facts presented that Diana ISN'T an ambassador from the Amazons and that she has a father, a direct and powerful being, even though he's missing.

That's interesting info, Cobie, abouit the Romans taking on stealing dieties, especially if they won.

Greeks just had the various gods choose sides in conflicts.
The Romans had such egos!
[Yes]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Yet they valued some forms of humility- especially in the pre-Empire centuries (the period that's most ignored by fiction-writers... I wish DC would reintroduce Alpha-Centurion or the Son of Vulcan or someone and have them come from Rome's ideologically best years.)

I want Donna Troy back- maybe as the Roman gods answer to Diana? Or Trojan goddesses? Yeah, the Trojan ones. And Cassie could be associated with the Roman versions. Nubia for the Egyptians... Artemis for the Celts (renamed Morrigan or something, I guess).

Did anyone else find Poseidon's debut funny? What about Hades?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I want Donna Troy back- maybe as the Roman gods answer to Diana? Or Trojan goddesses? Yeah, the Trojan ones. And Cassie could be associated with the Roman versions. Nubia for the Egyptians... Artemis for the Celts (renamed Morrigan or something, I guess).

Mega-seconded!

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't read the 52 version of the Titans yet, but I think Cassie is in it.
I just don't know if she has a connection to the Greek gods, Zeus in particular, or not.

And we might have seen Nubia and Artemis as Amazons already, but I think that they weren't named, IIRC.
Did the Amazons get turned into snakes?
[shrug]

I'd like ML's idea though, too.
Who are the Trojan deities, the ones that are preGreek, like Phoebe and the others that have been originally associated with Donna?

I'd certainly like her to be independent of Diana in her origin, that's for sure.
[Yes]

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

There's going to be another Wonder Woman on Earth 2, which comes out in a mont or so!

I like the Jim Lee design, even though she still has a strapless bustier to fight in.
sigh

--------------------

Come, join me!

Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
Still lovin' this book!
From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

The Amazon sons story was sad but something that they historically seemed to have done.

I hope Cupid sticks around. I like him, even though his power seems to have a monkey paw quality to it.
[Frown]

[ March 29, 2012, 04:02 AM: Message edited by: Candlelight ]

--------------------

Come, join me!

Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
#7 was 20 pages of perfection!

This revamped version of WW is the first time I've been able to read an entire issue of WW w/o falling asleep half way through.

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
#7 was a great story. Nasty about the Amazons' boy babies - although girl babies are aborted or destroyed in our world even today - and even more cruel about the fathers; that seemed unnecessary, but we're not dealing with Paradise and love with this bunch of Amazons. Yet Diana herself shows great compassion to people. What made her different?

I liked Cupid too. That opening scene was a good illustration of watch what you pray for - and that love isn't all hearts and cherubs.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
When I first read the Amazons as murdering rapists, I was revolted. As Shady mentioned, that sort of thing is associated with some accounts of 'historical' Amazons, so it isn't plucked from the ether.

Also, WW and we are getting the story from a god- clearly not to be shown as all that reliable a narrator in this series. Except Hermes. Who is a trickster.

So, I don't know how much the tale will stand.

I did find the 'wonder boys' characterization and devotion to 'master' interesting. I wish one of them had felt differently.

Again, I find the story itself very well-written and entertaining. I always like Hephasteus-- and this Eros is fun. But the ramifications for this earth's Amazons is almost too much to take, for someone who liked very much previous versions of the concept (not that pretty much every version didn't have their own 'dark aspects').

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Does this aspect of the Amazons mean that they aren't 'immortal' like they've been before?
Or does it mean that a lot of the Amazons get killed in combat for some reason?

We haven't seen that these are in any way superior beings, really, no purple ray or invisible plane, that I remember anyway.

I haven't read all of Diana's Justice League yet and I'd have to go over WW issues again to see about the plane.
It's funny that the plane has completely skipped my mind, since it was always such a part of Diana's persona.
[shrug]

--------------------

Come, join me!

profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
It's sad, and shocking, what people can get used to, without knowing any better.

I read the Kanigher-Andru WW. And the Thomas-Colan WW, the Mishkin-Cohn-Colan WW, the Mishkin-Heck WW, the Perez WW, some of what came later, and the Byrne WW.

THEN I read the Golden Age WW ARCHIVES.

WOW. F***ING WOW.

I suddenly realized... this was "it". And NOTHING ELSE ever, ever had been. Even the George Perez run was CRAP-- BY COMPARISON.

It's like... for the sake of example... PEANUTS.

You could take 50 of the very best writers and artists on the planet, and set them loose on doing that strip. And their work could be magnificent, stunning, gorgeous, compelling, gripping, hilarious, thought-provoking, or even all of the above. And it JUST WOULDN'T MATTER. Because no matter what they did... it wouldn't be "the real thing".

And WW has not been "the real thing" since her original creators passed away.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
All I can think of when I see Hades is Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast!
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.