Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Wonder Woman (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Wonder Woman
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
I have to say while the first arc was entertaining and the Khund two-parter was pretty good the last couple of issues have been fantastic. I'm not sure why I'm liking the story so much but possibly it's because we're seeing a really nice Diana out her element fantasy story while still getting the on-going story with her real life. The two shouldn't work together but for some reason they do.

Plus the art in the last few issues has been lovely. Hopefully we'll actually end up with a long running creative team if they can keep the same standard up over time.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Wasn't there a DC barbarian-type character named Claw or Klaw with a red devilish looking hand in the same era as STALKER? Is that who this fourth character is?

I'm enjoying this a lot, too- though it is a storyline that you have to actually read and pay attention while doing so. It's not made up of issues you can skim through and get the gist of what's happening.

Which is a good thing.

I love the art-- those pages/panels with the sword-borders are lovely.

I'm ready for some more of the Apes on Holiday from Gorilla City. I love 'em to pieces.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
CLAW The Unconquered ran from '75-76. He was used most recently in his own mini under the WS imprint, and a crossover WS mini with Red Sonja, a year or so back.

Gail's really digging through DC's Sword & Sorcery depths with Claw and Stalker. Cool. [Cool]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Newest issue--Wonder Woman thinking "Will I be the betrayer" was interesting... I wish that could have gone on a bit more, though I'm also glad this storyline's progressing and is, apparently, back on Earth in the last panel.

The gorillas on Holliday didn't get to be as funny or exhibit as much personality in this issue... I would've preferred Nemesis befriending them after an intial skirmish.

Donna Troy makes a welcome appearance. Welcome in that she's wearing the black and white starfield outfit, rather than the unbecoming half Wonder Girl, half Troia look she's stuck with in TITANS. Wonder how she'll interact with the gorillas?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
The last issue made me realise that Gail is really putting a lot into WW at the moment. There are a lot of plot threads going on and the main plot is proceeding at a fairly cracking pace without it feeling like there's too much going on. It's something the title has been missing for a few years now. Waid got horribly hamstrung at the end of his run by the constant crossovers and didn't really get much chance to just tell an entertaining story. Gail actually seems to be doing that here though.

Plus the art is lovely. The panel with Diana's face half regular inks and half pencils is absolutely stunning.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This story really is Gail and Aaron trying to make WW the best she's ever been. It's amazing artwork; Mr Lopresti is right up there with the Dodsons and Adam Hughes when it comes to drawing beautiful, strong women.

Gail's script ranges from the fantastical to the humourous with ease, and we readers are gettign enough of both to satisfy. The main story has me eager to see Diana cut loose on a demon. The sub-plot of Nemesis and the gorillas was entertaining, and then Gail threw in a guest-star!

This is one of my favourite reads each month.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

That was aptly climactic. I'll kind of miss Beowulf, though. I liked the way he interacted with WW-- Klaw, too, though I felt like I really didn't get to know him that well. Grendel's still in Diana's future, though.

The Donna/Nemesis/apes scene was fun. I liked everything about it. I quite like Nemesis as partner for WW. Don't miss Steve Trevor a bit. Donna seemed more like herself than in the pages of TITANS, that's for sure.

Rhanda, Tolifhar and co.? Love 'em. May they be a part of the cast for a long time.

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Nice issue. A good ending to the story arc. Gail's use of the sword and sorcery crowd was inspired and orignal. A nice break from the mad gods of Diana's pantheon, but still very fitting for the Wonder Woman mythos. Donna and Nemsis were fun. I haven't enjoyed Donna this much in a long time.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, a solid wrap-up. Diana's empathy for Stalker was very in-character; Her sorrow at his suffering with the return of her soul... [sigh]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

WW in Hollywood- and she gets upstaged by the gorillas. There's a scene where either Rhanda or Tahlifar licks a character's hand that made me laugh out loud- something I don't often do when reading.

And what they tote around in their briefcases? Hee-hee!

The rest of the Hollywood portion of the issue was a perfectly serviceable adventure featuring an opponent that didn't really interest me that much when she appeared the first time in JLA. However, her MO makes her a perfect foe for Diana. It's even one that I'd think I'd like a lot from reading a description of her gimmick and of the character herself. But somehow, she leaves me uninvolved. Not sure why.

The meaty portion of the issue, for me, occurs in the waters surrounding and on Themyscira as Nemesis meets mom. Or should that be Mom?

I'd have liked to see a few issues of the pair dating, at the least, before these first formal steps of the Amazon mating dance. That said, I find the process quite fascinating.

I like the Amazon menagerie (has this been seen before? I don't quite remember...) and Hippolyta's not-so-subtle manipulation of Nemesis.

Tom and Diana riding in and out on a floating seashell made for some lovely images. Themyscira at night is also beautiful.

What wasn't was the 'someday you might rule this' line. Really? A man? And Hippolyta's 'babies, babies, babies'... funny. Possibly, a jokey manipulation as subtle as sticking Nemesis in front of a hungry griffin. If taken as serious? Ugh.

Yet not without redemptive possibility. Over time. Lots of time.

Jerry
active

Yes, the images of Diana and Tom's trip to Themyscira were gorgeous.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askanipsion
Telepath

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askanipsion   Author's Homepage   Email Askanipsion         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

Donna Troy makes a welcome appearance. Welcome in that she's wearing the black and white starfield outfit, rather than the unbecoming half Wonder Girl, half Troia look she's stuck with in TITANS. Wonder how she'll interact with the gorillas?

Wow! Didn't know Donna appeared. I will have to pick this up. I thought she was treated awful in all the crossover mess and especially over in the horrid "Titans".

Will Donna be a regular in WW?

Donna is none of my all time favorites.

From: South Florida | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Donna was in issue #23, but not in #24. I haven't heard anything about Gail making her a regular, but imagine she will pop up from time to time.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

#25-- Aaand that's a wrap!

Couldn't resist.

The issue really got going once the Queen of Fables created the arena 'contest'. Before that, there was some funny movie-related bits-- but not that funny, since I wouldn't be at all surprised if those were actual bits from Hollywood scripts.

I wonder what lies behind the 'centaurs and I never really got along' line. She seemed fairly chummy with Chiron not so long ago.

"In any arena, real of imagined-- I am INVINCIBLE!" Great line for Diana, I thought.

She even upstaged the Ape-as-critic who thought the script 'lacked a proper second act.' Hee-hee-hee! I know I'm repeating myself, but I love those teen apes. 'Where we will promptly consume them'. Hee-hee!

Scenes with WW and little girls are almost sacrosanct. It's always a nice thing to see, but I thought the subplot with the alchoholic mother and her daughters was a bit misplaced. Not gratingly, as it did reflect upon the WW movie plot.

I'm looking forward to next storyline, with the 'rise of the Olympians' and a new male Wonder Woman, whatever that's going to look like.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Caught up on about five months of Wonder Woman reading. I thought the Beowulf/Stalker/Claw saga was probably the best Wonder Woman story I’ve read in about ten years. Everything about it was superb: the interaction between the characters, Diana trying to ‘re-find’ herself (both the real reason why and the metaphor), and ‘quest’ feel to the whole thing. It was awesome to see the Stalker for the first time since the 1970’s (at least that I’m aware of), and Claw is always interesting. I really enjoyed Beowulf more than anything and thought his chemistry with Diana was surprisingly fun and refreshing.

I’m bored to death by the ‘suitors’ Diana is always acquainted with, outside of Aquaman and the occasional flirtation with Batman (I *hate* when Superman and Diana are paired up like that), so Beowulf was cool.

The Nemesis/Diana relationship is cool for me thus far but I’m not sure I see this as a longterm thing. I like Nemesis, loved him since Suicide Squad, but as Diana’s paramour? Not sure.

Oh, I also love the Megalodons. They rock.

And Hippolyta is being used well too.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.