Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Wonder Woman (Page 10)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Wonder Woman
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Wild Cobalt:
In a way, her writing reminds me of PAD in the early 90's (when viewing it from the angle of why I personally enjoy her work).

I never thought of that, but I could see Gail possibly learning over the years to integrate the humor more smoothly into the mixture of drama and action (these days, when PAD's at his best -- i.e. X-Factor or the Hulk HoM arc -- his blend is perfection, which wasn't always the case in his early writing.) On the other hand, there's a certain...smugness to Gail's writing that even PAD's lesser work doesn't come across to me; hopefully she'll get rid of that as her writing matures.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked Gail’s first issue. We get Paradise Island and Hippolyta. We get Diana fighting apes, and apes flinging. BIRTHDAY CAKE and Diana Prince. Oooo Lt Col. Candy shows have sneaky she can be, and we get Nazis.

Okay the Nazi thing is played out, and with this week’s Wonder Girl mini, BC/GA, Countdown, and now WW- Themyscira is busier than Legion World on Cobie’s birthday. But it was a good start. I think Gail does a fine job mixing in the humour. She’s humanized Diana with her apartment and the cake. I can’t wait til she gets to cut loose with her.

The artwork is great, the Dodsons are perfect for drawing women without giving is a cheesecake look. (I like the shield they’ve given her. I know she has the bracelets, but it still looked cool.)

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
[QUOTE] On the other hand, there's a certain...smugness to Gail's writing that even PAD's lesser work doesn't come across to me; hopefully she'll get rid of that as her writing matures.

Gail Simone's a good writer and I think she's a much-needed breath of fresh air at DC right now, but there's always been something just a little bit 'off' about her writing to me and while I wouldn't descibe it as 'smug' - I think that's probably a step in the right direction to nailing the problem.

Fortunately, I didn't see any such negative aspects in her first issue of Wonder Woman. Loved it! I know I'm probably in the vast minority here but I absolutely LOVE the new status quo Alan Heinberg established with this run (i.e. secret agent Diana Prince teaming up with Nemesis and Sarge Steel and so on) and it was great to see Gail take that ball and totally run with it here.

The great art helped too. But best of all - it was just a really cool and fun issue. I know the Rucka run had a lot of fans but to me that whole era was just morose and dull - and don't get me started on those modernised Greek Gods complete with laptops and lattes - UGH!

Going by this one issue, it looks like this run is going to be completely the opposite and I for one will definitely stay on board for the ride!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
LOVED the gorillas! Her manipulation/beatdown was an interesting use of WW's animal-empathy in warrior mode. I think.

Will they be hanging around awhile?

Maybe they'll be the Holiday Gorillas (y'know-- gorillas on holiday in 'man's world').

At the least, the leader that WW befriends here could become the 'Wonder Boy' that some fans have requested from time to time.

I'm looking forward to Gail Simone's time at the helm of WW.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
I liked Gail’s first issue. We get Paradise Island and Hippolyta. We get Diana fighting apes, and apes flinging. BIRTHDAY CAKE and Diana Prince. Oooo Lt Col. Candy shows have sneaky she can be, and we get Nazis.

Okay the Nazi thing is played out, and with this week’s Wonder Girl mini, BC/GA, Countdown, and now WW- Themyscira is busier than Legion World on Cobie’s birthday. But it was a good start. I think Gail does a fine job mixing in the humour. She’s humanized Diana with her apartment and the cake. I can’t wait til she gets to cut loose with her.

The artwork is great, the Dodsons are perfect for drawing women without giving is a cheesecake look. (I like the shield they’ve given her. I know she has the bracelets, but it still looked cool.)

Speaking of GA/BC, who is in charge of Paradise Island, Hippolyta as in Wonder Woman or Athena as in the GA/BC issue?

It's things like that that make me long for strong editors and strong oversight of the characters.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
[Bump] for Gary or Scott to merge the Gail interview thread from the S&LSH forum...

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Just like last month, I find the scenes without Diana interesting and scenes with Diana uninteresting. Who knows what my reaction will be when the plot threads finish converging next issue.

That bit with Diana forcing Captain Nazi to relive his traumatic childhood is very J.M. DeMatteis -- and I don't mean that in a good way.

The Dodsons' art in this issue was not as good as they're capable of.

At least there was no Lt. Col. Mary Sue Candy this month. I swear, if she wore glasses she'd look just like Gail!

I'm only getting the next two issues because I want to see the confrontation between Diana and Alkyone (it's quite clear that Alkyone's the prisoner.)

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Speaking of GA/BC, who is in charge of Paradise Island, Hippolyta as in Wonder Woman or Athena as in the GA/BC issue?

It's things like that that make me long for strong editors and strong oversight of the characters.

There's an editor's note at the beginning of this week's issue saying the WW arc takes place before Countdown #30. Mind ya, Athena/Granny Goodness has been recruiting since before then...

Wonder Woman takes down Captain Nazi. Hippolyta takes down his cronies invading Paradise Island. Diana spends the rest of the issue seeking help from other pantheons to repel the invaders. She swears fealty to a Native American god, and that promises to be interesting in the future.

Gail's strength has always been the small moments. I'm looking forward to the upcoming showdown just as much as you, Stealth.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^^^^ I think that was a Hawaiian deity Diana was pledging allegiance to at the end there, not Native American. Or are Hawaiians considered Native American? My knowledge is pretty grey in that area.

I enjoyed this issue just as much as the previous one, which is to say - A LOT!

This just reads like classic comic-book storytelling to me - fun, dynamic lead character; cool, fleshed-out supporting characters; exciting and interesting story; fast-paced plotting; snappy banter; great art; and so on.

After all the death and dismemberment and angst I read in every other DC book this month it was actually a *relief* to sit down with this one!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

The 3rd issue is running late, and we've got a new artist in May, according to a Newsarama article.

Dagnabbit!

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah-- Aaron Lopresti, fresh off Ms. Marvel and a current DC exclusive artist... not sure how I feel about that just yet. We'll see. [shrug]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Click Here For A SpoilerPlease tell me they did not just kill Hyppolita again after just bringing her back in that craptastic Amazons Attack event that made my eyes bleed. I guess death really doesn't have a meaning. Jeez.

Gail, I expected better of you.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Caliente:
Click Here For A SpoilerPlease tell me they did not just kill Hyppolita again after just bringing her back in that craptastic Amazons Attack event that made my eyes bleed. I guess death really doesn't have a meaning. Jeez.

Gail, I expected better of you.

Caliente,

I don't think it is what you think.

Seriously Click Here For A Spoiler Since the death of Hippolyta, Amazons Attack, Granny Goodness pretending to be Athena in Countdown, the Amazons have been put through the wring and getting as messed up as the old Hawkman continuity. It seems like ever other appearance we are getting the "definitive" Amazons/Paradise Island. We definitely need stronger editoral control.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

While I don't like the final scene of this issue, I do like the story Gail is crafting. It showed why both Diana and Hippolyta are both warriors of note. These are Amazon women and they know.
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I wonder if the members of the Circle will turn out to be reoccurring antagonists? Not sure if they could be termed villains, but maybe they could.

They're creepy and sort of insane. Maybe one will rise to defend Hippolyta or Diana, while the others go even crazier.

In anycase, I hope at least one of the apes remains as a *permanent* addition to WW's supporting cast (she's had too many folks fade into the woodwork).

Unfortunately, until the Holly/Harley/GrannyAthena stuff in COUNTDOWN runs its course, this title is going to seem like it's happening in a parallel dimension. At least while the story's set on Themyscira.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.