Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Wonder Woman (Page 13)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Wonder Woman
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Another fun romp, short and all about the action. These brief tales seemed to get overshadowed by the long arc; and that's a shame because they remind me what comics are all abour.

With just these two issues we get Diana kicking butt and having fun with her simian sidekicks. Her ferocity facing the Queen of Fables counters that soft side she used with the little girls. And then Gail's metatextual comments about waiting for a good WW movie...

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
If I had more money this is the first comic I would add back to my collection. I really liked what Gail was doing here and I think it's a shame that she doesn't seem to be setting alight the charts as much as she should.

Wonder Woman is THE premiere female super-hero dammit! She should be a top-seller!!!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Rise of the Olympian starts...

Gail opens this story with the DMA facing off against an ugly monster. It's enough to draw the WW out of Diana, and boy was she needed. The story is a bunch of hints and set up, and we get to meet a few more DMA agents on Diana's team.

The Greek Gods make an appearance, and Genocide makes an impressive debut.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The return of the Olympian gods really has me curious. What exactly has happened to them and what will the consequences be?

Loved their return to a sadly vandalized Olympus-- the art was interesting. The ship they rode in on was a nice visual. The way the scene was written kept me curious about who was in it. When Zeus and co. emerged, I was surprised.

The Tom Tressor scenes were great, too. Nice to see his toughness and his protectiveness of the amulet. A lot of fans are apparently resistant to him as a love interest for Diana. Not me. I think they're great.

I'm less interested in Diana Prince's missions. I liked seeing Etta, but I'd have preferred an updated Holliday Girls to this little squad. Still, they're not bad- so I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt. (missed the gorillas...)

Genocide was the least interesting part of the issue, to me. She was suitably dangerous and single-mindedly violent. Not my favorite thing in a villain, I guess.

I wonder, will the old Global Guardian character The Olympian appear in this storyline?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Killing off ancient goddesses just isn't a good idea, I don't think. Kharmically (is that a word?)

I hope Athena doesn't die...

...this Pantheon seems much diminished. In need of some rising.

Which could also be said of Diana, as of this issue.

Apparently, the nature of WW's lasso will be a big component of this storyline. Hmmm.

Loved the cover- and Tom calling himself an Amazon... and Donna's answering glance over her shoulder.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Donna and Cassie get some good air time this issue. They haven't been seen much in the title in the last couple of years. It's good to know they are still connected to Diana in some way.
Mystery Lad
Advisor

The stuff around the fight was great fun-- the three chickies in armor (gold, silver and bronze?)... the gorillas answering Diana's call to battle... the bits with Black Canary and Vixen...

The only thing missing is an absolutely engaging opponent. So far, Genocide is merely That Which Must Be Beaten. Why? I don't really know. What does Genocide want? I don't really know. And I'm not meant to. Genocide's mystery really isn't engaging my curiosity. Perhaps the revelation of her origin and purpose will.

I'm a tad worried about developments in the 'Manazon' camp. Jason of the Argonauts as Hippolyte's counterpart? Solicits have mentioned Achilles, haven't they?

Will choosing such storied names make the new champions of Zeus more or less palatable? I can see an argument on both sides.

I hope Diana's counterpart will have the benefit of his own history and personality. I wonder if Donna and Cassie and even Artemis will have counterparts?

stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
I've been loving Gail's run and the rise of the olympians is really kicking it for me. I like the sense of dread we get from Diana's narrative. I loved seeing the three Amazons fighting against Genocide, that was a nice visual, I also really loved the other plots going on. Action AND building for the future, that's almost unheard of these days.

But finding out that Steel is in Dr. Psycho's body (and vice versa) explained a lot, and a bit common, was a nice touch because now I want to see Steel kick the villains butt (but I don't know how he could do it). The mystery of the lasso still builds, and the Olympians really intrigue me. Jason huh? interesting, and Zeus' mission for them, also interesting.

I'm enjoying this a lot, it's one of my top two books (right up there with Green Lantern) great superhero action and lots of action with continuing build-up.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Seeing the wonderful women armoured up and ready for battle was cool. Lopresti is right up there with the Dobsons when it comes to drawing incredible women.

The Sarge Steel story is making sense now. Gail put that one on a slow boil. And it really gave Cheetah a chance to show her teeth.

The Genocide fight is okay, but it seems as much a distraction to the readers as it is to Diana. With her occupied, she must not see the return of Zeus and his kin.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

WW #29: Losses fill the early pages-- Donna's apparently feeling the effects of a Genocide-wielded lasso, Rhanda (one of the white gorillas) is apparently dead (sob!) and Diana's reeling.

Diana V. Cheetah (great fight, I thought) and Zeus V. Kane Milohai and Manazons V. the U.S. Navy... a lot packed into the ORIGINS and OMENS shortened story.

Hippolyta appears in the O&O back-up, telling the bedtime story of Diana's creation to a hospitalized Tom Tressor.

I like the way these two characters relate; each makes the other more full and distinct, IMO.

The last page is a montage of future events, as most of the O&O back-ups have concluded this way. Among the glimpses: a pregnant, unidentified woman in Amazonion armor, Diana undersea, Tom walking away from Diana, possibly a Manazon tossing around a police car.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

#30... Genocide kills or almost kills Etta Candy, Zeus raises the 'historical' Achilles from the dead and names him his champion (I think- wonder if Patroclus is there, too?), Diana tears down the Secret Society's HQ in anger, threatens to or actually does cut off Cheetah's tail, expresses regret for killing Maxwell Lord...

Some nice art, the scene on the cover doesn't really happen yet, and Oh, yeah- Hippolyta summons the Amazons back to Themyscira by praying in a circle of swords. Phillipus is the first to respond. The Bana-Migdhalls (spelling?) are now considered full Amazons (I thought they already were?).

Mystery Lad
Advisor

WONDER WOMAN #31: Whoa-- when an explanation makes so much sense that you can't believe you didn't think of it all along, you know it's one that sits well with you.

Still, ugh. What a creepy fight the showdown between WW and Click Here For A Spoiler her future dead body brought back in time and filled with the essence of Ares (I think) will be!

I don't quite have a handle on The Olympian yet. Is he man-out-time warrior who's misguided by Zeus (who, in turn, is perhaps being influenced by, or even is, Ares?-- my conjecture), that might be seen as heroic eventually, or is he out and out villain? Or perpetual antagonist, I guess, rather than 'villain'?

Call me corny, but I like the prospect of him and his 'manazons' eventually teaming up with WW and the Amazons. I don't suppose there'd ever be a high level of trust there, but they've got pretty much everything in common.

Athena- I knew you couldn't keep a good goddess down. What is she planning?

Bottle City of Kanga
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bottle City of Kanga   Author's Homepage   Email Bottle City of Kanga         Edit/Delete Post     
I've really gone off this arc despite the good work Gail's done in the past.

It feels as if this storyline is taking ages to get nowhere.

I was looking forward to Achilles / The Olympian but so far he hasn't done much at all. WW needs a decent male villain and I was hoping it would be him but he's been eclipsed by all this Genocide business.

--------------------
http://bottlecityofkanga.blogspot.com/

Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm loving this arc and this issue really hit it out of the park. The reveal was amazing and the way it was told (through Athena) was cool and really felt "epic". Also love Achilles, the scene where he talks to the U.N. was cool and I loved how it was laid out (the scene were he puts his hand up then closes it to halt the elephant thingy was just really well paced imo).

But what really got me was the opening pages, where she is visibly upset about what happened to Candy and concerned about Tom. People want Diana to be more human they didn't need to give her a secret identity, just let her be close to her supporting cast. She doesn't come across as some goddess on high caring about her subjects, she comes across as a woman very concerned about her friends.

Great stuff and I really loved this issue. And the reveal, wow, that was chilling.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

I like seeing Diana's response to the chaos around her- the fear at losing friends, her anger at her enemies, the warrior with no limits. (Cheetah's tail in my opinion is fair game!)

Things do seem to have moved a bit slow, but that's okay. Getting some Etta time, bringing in Steve Trevor- these are all good building points knowing Gail. Part of me wanted some follow up on Donna's response last issue, but Gail won't let that sit long.

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.