Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Wonder Woman (Page 23)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Wonder Woman
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I found Wonder Woman #7 to actually be...quite excellent! Incredibly well done story that was written with all the right notes and drawn incredibly.

I know there's some anger at the revelation, but the truth is it was just executed so damn well, I can't help but be on board. And given the Amazons roots in ancient cultures, this seems more realistic and in line with those worlds than not.

Cupid and Hephaestus were great. The sons / brothers are a great addition to the mythos. And Diana was written perfectly; as FC mentions above, she shows a compassion her sisters do not, showing how different she truly is.

The series continues to be one of the best out there.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
All I can think of when I see Hades is Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast!
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

^ [LOL]

It's been on tv a lot too lately!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Enjoyed the bride of Hades arc and the end was genius, imo.

Poor Persephone!
She's an anorexic waif who slit her wrists to escape a Hades who can't love.
How come she doesn't get half the year or so, as Spring & bountiful Harvest, anymore?
I loved her plump Titian beauty.
sigh

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I have to admit that I was left a bit confused when Diana escaped Hades' Underworld. He just let her go and then she shoots him?
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Shot him with Eros' gun. With Hephaestus' gift of a mirror, I guess the idea was for him to love himself, as Diana counseled. ("You can't make anyone love you unless you love yourself.")

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
That's what I got, too.
Diana loves, so with Ero's gun, she can give love.
I just wanted to see his change, the dawning wonder, his look toward Persephone, the loss of the bleeding scares, yum, yum, yum.
Oh, well.

Hera's gambit is wierd.
[shrug]
Zeus as Diana's father certainly opens up opportunities for upsets, though, which is fun.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I'm still enjoying WW quite a bit! Chang's art certainly is a big plus, as without him I'm not sure I'd be enjoying it as much.

Azz needs to be careful on how close he brings Hera into being her cliche. The early issues made me feel like this was a fresh take on Hera with some nods to her usual role in things but without retreading the same old ground. I'm hopeful he is able to pull away from the recent slide into cliche.

I'm enjoying the way Diana herself has been written. She's a powerful, iconic character here while being someone I can emphathize with. That is a hard thing to deliver for her (and Superman, etc.).

One thing that sticks out for me: where the hell did Lennox come from? He like showed up out of nowhere and sticks out like a sore thumb. He's obviously a favorite of Azz and I can't shake this "Mary Sue" feeling I get towards him.

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, Lennox is sort of like a fifth wheel, or the guy that nobody invited to the wedding but he's there.

Well, I had axed Wonder Woman as part of my disenchantment with the DCnU, but now I've read the spoilers over at Bleeding Cool and the book's back on my list because (big spoiler alert)Click Here For A Spoiler I love Kirby's New Gods!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
After reading WW #12, this is probably DC's best relaunch of the New 52. It might be my all around fav DC title in general, but in terms of a "relaunch" I find it the most successful in terms of redefining the character in a way that builds on what she was before - changing enough things to reinvigorate the concept, but also bolstering her strengths.

The scene with her removing her bracelets was an amazing concept. I'm not sure they've been thought of this way before, but it now makes me wonder why she has to have them at all. (I'm sure Azzarello knows why, I just hope he tells us soon)

The last scene with the baby? Totally didn't see *that* coming!

And the last page? **((((BOOM!!)))**

Yes, this is my current favorite title.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Wonder Woman #0 was the best of this month's zero issues that I've read so far. This is a totally new take on Diana's training and coming of age that compliments the changes that have been introduced in the new series.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I totally agree WW #0 was hands down the best of the zero issues. Totally fantastic in every way! Days later, I'm still thinking about it and its various intricacies.
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
#13 was pretty good too--it strangely felt a bit more like the WW we had before in the focus on the last half being Diana kicking ass and being all sweet and compassionate to the little girl she finds.

Also, Hera proclaiming her love of ice cream was hilarious, especially when you remember Diana's first real appearance in the New 52 Justice League. [Big Grin]

From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.