Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Wonder Woman (Page 20)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Wonder Woman
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
^Seconded! Fantastic #2 that gave all the elements that made #1 so memorable while adding a little extra oomph in that it didn't waste time clarifying story points and giving us some revelations.

Hera for the first time (EVER?) comes off as an antagonist whose point of view is something you can understand. Hermes is just awesome in every single panel he's in.

But the heart of the issue was Diana's place among the Amazons and with her mother, and I thought they really nailed it and made it feel important, exciting and emotional. Wonder Woman as "the perfect Amazon" was told to us and then shown to us.

I love that Hippolyta is blonde again, like she was in the Golden Age and Silver Age.

This is possibly a contender for my favorite of all the DCnU. And I've always collected it but its never been my favorite before.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I loved #2! This book rocks!!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I was unaware that Hippolyte was ever a blonde. I'm still fond of Perez's rendering of the Amazon Queen.
My only beef is Strife's name. Ares' sister is Eris and Eris' son is named Strife. I just finished teaching the Greek mythology unit to my ninth graders and I wished the writer and/or editor had done their homework.

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah # 2 solidified this version of WW for me, whereas # 1 had me on the fence with its WTF-ness.

Is that redhead ponytail chick Artemis? Why isn't her name Artemis??

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
#3 finally hooked me (well, I loved that Hippolyta is blonde again, in the previous issue, but [shrug] .)

Finally, Click Here For A Spoiler Diana isn't made from clay and has a father that didn't beat her mother to death while she was pregnant with her, back in the stoneage.

And Click Here For A Spoilershe isn't going to have that impossible mandate to be an ambassador of peace to man's world from the Amazons! Diana can just be a superhero.

I also Click Here For A Spoiler loved the her introduction into JL and Hal's reaction to her, "Dibs!"
[LOL]

And Owl Lad - I know we want things to be correct, but this IS supposed to be a different universe from ours, so the various myths used for the different DC titles that use various mythologies, are going to well, be different from those mythologies.
Making Strife a grandaughter to Hera would have been cumbersome to the storytelling, I think, and lessened the connection she has to Diana.
Just my thoughts on your comment.

[ December 27, 2011, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: Candlelight ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
On Themyscira: what do you think of it's much more literal depiction as a bronze age Hellenistic town? I both like and dislike it. I appreciate the research that obviously went into its depiction, but I miss the fantasy of the marble and the hills and the statuary and the pseudo-tech, none of which so far appears to be included.

I don't like brutish Amazons, though.

I'm still on the fence regarding the Olympians.

Diana, though, is coming across pretty realistically. If a tad adolescent.

Hard to connect these dots with the ones in JUSTICE LEAGUE, though.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Like you, Mystery Lad, I'm torn on the presentation of Themyscira. The marvelous detail of George Perez in the early days of the post crisis WW captured my imagination in a way that I don't think anyone will ever be able to top. That being said, I can't find much to complain about in the current artwork except that it isn't Perez. But, what is?

Regarding the changes/revelations to Diana's origin, and apparent disconnect with Justice League, I'm waiting to watch it all unfold. Ask me in year. It does appear that a lot of thought has been put into Wonder Woman's latest "new direction". I'm intrigued and interested, and definitely in for the long haul.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Just finished #3. Simply FABOO!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Agreed! I also totally loved it! This is one of my favorites right now.

I love the way the dieties are being portrayed--IMO the best they've EVER been done in Wonset Woman! It's time they got away from the prior interpretations which coincidentally are done the same way in Marvel and every other place for 50 years. Here they are unique and strange and difficult to grasp, as they should be.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
What a great way of reimagining Diana's origin without dismissing the clay origins. Brilliant and it gives Diana a whole host of new stories with her new family tree.
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
And Click Here For A SpoilerHera didn't actually 'kill' the Queen. At least, I don't think she did.
A slimy green statue isn't exactly forever dead, is it?

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I think Erica Durance looks great as Wonder Woman !

http://www.movieweb.com/news/first-look-at-erica-durance-as-wonder-woman-in-harrys-law-episode-2-11

and previously on Smallville ...

-

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

I had no idea that Diana/Erica appeared on Smallville!
She looks great.

--------------------

Come, join me!

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
I had no idea that Diana/Erica appeared on Smallville!
She looks great.

Yeah, Lois-as-Wonder Woman looked pretty cool to me.

Then again, I thought the Mercy Reef version of Aquaman was pretty cool, so my willingness to accept just about *any* TV comic book attempt may have clouded my judgement. [Smile]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

By issue #4, I'm now thinking that WW may be the best of the DCnU (only true contender: Batwoman).

My only complaint is its only 20 pages and I have to wait a month for the next one. Really--it's terrific!

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.