Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Wonder Woman (Page 19)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Wonder Woman
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Was that a secret? I seem to remember the Gods being behind it in the promotional interviews.

Can you mention what the motivation was behind a spoiler? How are they showing respect?

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
No, I guess it wasn't that much of secret. I just had the feeling that there was more to it than that because the gods always have some hand in Diana's life.

Click Here For A SpoilerThe gods have been in exile, hiding from a mad god (godess) named Nemesis. Nemesis is not an Olympian god, but an Earth bound god. She is the goddess of the unjustly slain, the murdered and war dead - finally brought to a level of power that makes her an unbeatable threat because of years of human atrocity.

Click Here For A SpoilerThe purpose behind the odyssey was to prepare Diana to defeat Nemesis in a way that her original upbringing could not. It was necessary for the gods to hide her away from Themyscira in the midst of mortals, to better develop the humanity that would be needed to defeat Nemesis.

Click Here For A SpoilerRegarding the respect - there are several pages of dialogue in which the gods eloquently sing Diana's praises, and the hope she represents for the world. Zues says, "But you, Diana, you are the world as it might be. You are our better tomorrow."

[ June 30, 2011, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey that all sounds more interesting than I expected. But I bet the REAL reason was for the comic to look more like the WW series that was planned.
From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
And we know how well THAT works... see "de-aging Black Canary because of the BoP TV series that was cancelled almost BEFORE that comic storyline was completed"... [No]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

RE: #614

A strong finish for the current Wonder Woman series and the Odyssey. The last few pages set up the relaunch perfectly.

Month after month, year after year, I read all the complaints about Wonder Woman comic books, the writers, the artists and the lack of respect that DC shows the character.

Month after month, year after year, I read the book and fail to understand where all the negativity comes from. There are few things in life that I enjoy more than reading a good Wonder Woman story. Odyssey continued that trend. It was a fascinating character study, a fun experiment and a mystery with some satisfying outcomes. The art was solid throughout. Yet, the "fans" howled as loud as ever. I read one review today that declared it the worst year in Wonder Woman's history. Oh wait. Wasn't that last year? Or the year before? Oh no, it's the relaunch that's going to destroy the character. Yeah, whatever...

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Well, the first issue of the new Wonder Woman was not what I expected. Pretty creepy and dark with very little explanation of how Diana fits into the relaunched DC Universe. It is definitely interesting and it appears that this story is going to have some depth. Too early to judge, but it has my interest.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
It's definitely different from anything I've seen out of WW before. I can see this being a big hit with the Vertigo/"dark/edge" fans.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I may have to try this...
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought the story itself was everything promised. It hit all the notes it set out to hit. Wonder Woman comes across as slightly more of a guest star than the lead, in a way. On the other hand, it was an effective build up to her introduction.

That said, I find this take on the gods problematic. Will it be balanced by gods 'patronizing' mankind beneficially as well as terrorizing it? We see a bit of that with Hermes, perhaps.

I'm not fond of the looks chosen for the gods, in fact, I don't like them. But I acknowlege their effectiveness in the story presented here and can't argue with anyone who appreciates them.

Looking ahead, if Diana's relationship with the Olympians will always be this pessimistic, I won't be a WW reader for long.

Even if the stories are as well-told as this one.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I really liked the first issue. This might be the first time I'll actually collect "Wonder Woman" on a regular basis.

I was also reminded a bit of a Vertigo title - "Sandman" in particular in terms of the tone, the machinations of the gods and how these dramas trample across human life. (yes, of course tales of this kind are much older than Vertigo, but they didn't come with such pretty pictures! [Smile] )

It also reminds me of "Thor" in that the drama and mythology are more interesting than the main character. It remains to be seen if that's the case here, but the setup is obviously light on Diana's characterization. Right now, she's placeholder for "hero."

My main motivation for picking this up, aside from curiosity, was the art and I was very pleased. I actually really liked the designs for the various gods - they weren't traditional: the peacock lady I'm guessing is Athena? I like how you never get a good look at her. Hermes, looking more like a WWI soldier with that helmet rather than the FTD florist logo, and Apollo, his daytime and nighttime looks. If anything, the reinvention of a mythology (and to a not-so-small degree the art) remind me more of "Mage" really - and that is a very, VERY good thing.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Wonder Woman kicked off with a terrific start! I've always this series and after one issue, I'm more enthusiastic for the relaunch than Ive been for any WW runs in years!

First: love the build up for Diana and then seeing her in action. We haven't gotten much insight to her thinking yet but she's confident, capable, a warrior and a thinker. She's heroic, in the same sense as Odysseus or Achilles. And while she's stunningly beautiful, there is nothing gratuitous about her, much like Superman.

Next: an excellent story as well! I like this usage of the Greco-Roman deities; it's edgy and different. The tired old Greek Gods approach has been done to death and is done in Marvel's U already. If any series should set the tone for a new interpretation of them, it's this one.

The tone and atmosphere were fantastic, and I think the comparison to Sandman that Drake made is apt, though with much more action (and sense of urgency). There is a balance of horror / superhero / mythological saga adventure and it works.

I really enjoyed it. DC did something right: Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are all at the top of the DCnU in terms of quality. When was the last time that happened all at once?

Cobie comparison: better than JL #1? Yes, one of my favorites so far.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
I really liked the first issue. This might be the first time I'll actually collect "Wonder Woman" on a regular basis.

I actually really liked the designs for the various gods - they weren't traditional: the peacock lady I'm guessing is Athena? I like how you never get a good look at her..

Now that you mention peacock feathers, the mystery goddess ought to be Hera once again striking out at one of Zeus's conquests, a pregnant Zola.
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Yes, I totally read the story to point to a jealous Hera as the one who is trying to kill Zola.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
A great developing story. The solicitation described it as a horror story, but it's well above the usual blood and guts of that genre. I echo Mystery Lad's hope for some benevolent gods so that it's not just Diana defending humans. Sandman is a good comparison - and this is the first time I've really been interested in Wonder Woman.

It was also very refreshing to see that she has normal size boobs, a very athletic body but realistic. Zola as well looked like a regular, actual female and, after the seemingly endless lacy lingerie shots from the other books, it was good to see a woman in boring, everyday underwear.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Issue #2 kicked ass! The art is gorgeous and Wonder Woman looks stunningly beautiful. The story is moving along at a brisk pace. Nice interlude on Mount Olympus. DCnU Paradise Island is beautifully depicted as is its queen. Looking forward to next issue...

Four fins up (out of a possible five) on the Sharky scale

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.