Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Wonder Woman (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Wonder Woman
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know about the new WW (I haven't checked it out yet) but now I'm having visions of Catherine Zeta-Jones living with Angelina Jolie.

Actually, it isn't that bad of a vision. Thanks Cru! [Wink]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, thanks a lot Scott. Now I'll never get that mental picture out of my head. (Though I'm not sure I want to...)
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
Diana Prince working as a government agent reminds me of the old TV show more than anything else (when's the little robot sidekick going to show up?)

Oh Lord, no robots. Please. I barely remember the tv series, but to me this issue had a similar feel to it and I'm hooked. I'm really loving the return of Diana Prince. Nemisis has me intrigued, too. I hope he sticks around.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Sorry gang, I don't know how to post a link. But LITG and the Pulse both mention the WW writer after Heinberg- Jodi Picoult! She's a novelist, having recently written a novel set in the comic industry. She's on for at least five issues.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I just read the first issue, and I did enjoy it, although I agree that Donna did come across as being a little green in the superhero department. She shouldn't have been captured quite that easily in my opinion. Maybe that armor was a little too heavy for her [Smile]

I did like how they referenced her as being Wonder Girl, and then as being Donna Troy. No mention of her other confusing identities. Kept things clean and moving along. Maybe in the new DCU she never became Troia, Darkstar, Supergirl... oh, wait... that wasn't her [Wink]

To be honest, I wouldn't mind terribly if Donna stayed Wonder Woman. I always liked her better than Diana, and it's just nice seeing her somewhere.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tekwych
Magikal Mystikal Wych!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tekwych   Author's Homepage   Email Tekwych         Edit/Delete Post     
WW was known publicly as Princess Diana of Themyescera and their representative to the world in this reboot. Did she ever use the name Diana Prince? Is this Diana Prince the old WW?

--------------------
I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure

From: New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Here are the links CJ mentioned:

The Pulse
Lying in the Gutters

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
According to the Justice League of America preview at Newsarama :

Click Here For A SpoilerThe Wonder Woman appearing in the new JLA is Diana. I wonder if that means that Donna is only a temp?

[ July 11, 2006, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Spellbinder ]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Random Wonder Woman question:
Wonder Woman has been built up lately to be almost on par with Superman in terms of powers, so why does she have to use those bracelets to deflect bullets? (or does she not do that anymore in the comics?)

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
She doesn't use them because she *has* to, but because she *wants* to!

She may be nearly as strong as Superman and maybe as fast (not really sure about that), but she's not invulnerable.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Wouldn't it be great if after all the buzz of Heinberg/Picoult, Gail Simone came on board as the regular writer for WW?
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, she sort of does need the bracelets. She's super strong and fast and all that but isn't invunerable. How tough she is obviusly changes from writer to writer, but there was a story a while back (drawn by Byrne certainly, not sure about the writer) which is included in the JLA secret origins trade about her being trained when she was a girl. Basically the point of it was that while she could stop boulders and all that sort of stuff things like arrows or bullets have a much higher impact strength or something (I forget the scientific jargon) because all the power is focused on one small point. Because of that while she was unlikely to be hurt by something big hitting her a bullet could still potentially pierce her skin and do damage.

That's not very well explained on my part, but it does make sense in a comic book way. It's worth tracking down the story though to see what i've not explained clearly. The art is OK and the story is nice and clears up what is essentially a big flaws in her powers. The problem lies in the fact that she keeps having her powers amped up to put her on a level with Superman when there really isn't any need to do that. It's kind of like her being able to fly but also having an invisible plane.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Bevis:
It's kind of like her being able to fly but also having an invisible plane.

I get that. I can walk to work, but I'd rather take the train. (although I don't know how fast she's supposed to be able to fly or how much it takes out of her etc...)
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

It probably doesn't hurt that, as a warrior, it is much more impressive to deflect bullets with her bracelets, rather than just stand there and have them bounce off her. After all, she did enter a competition to become Wonder Woman.

--------------------

Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, there is that too. The bracelets are symbolic for amazons, showing their enslavement to protect the door to hell underneath Themyscira which is why they all wear them. And as Cru says the final task of the tournament to pick their representative to the outside world was the Trial of Flashing Thunder (I think that's what they called it) where they had to deflect a bullet fired from Diana Trevor's gun. It's ages since I read the origin story, and who knows what's changed in curent continutity, but I think the only two to have ever actually passed that test were Diana and Artemis, although I'm fairly sure that Hippolyta was shown doing it as well when she was Wonder Woman. So it's as much a skill or style of defence as it is a super power. Plus on a purely aesthetic story-telling level it looks cool and is a neat little gimmick.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.