Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Superman, Action Comics, and Supergirl (Page 10)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Superman, Action Comics, and Supergirl
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
Once again, I totally agree with Jerry. Although I've not been a lifelong Superman fan as he's been, I'm a fan of what I saw in SUPERMAN #1. It's a great companion to ACTION #1.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I also agree with Jerry and LT, as Superman #1 exceeded my expectations in a big way. I perhaps had unfair misgivings about Perez writing but dont mind being proved wrong by a tightly scripted, intricate plot that was full of characterization.

As LT says, this is a great companion piece to Action #1. I'm loving the characterization of Superman and Lois who are being written better than they have been in years. This really is the Superman of the Golden Age, chip on his shoulder and all, yet more modern than he has been since that period.

I love the media element Perez played up which should always be a strong part of a Superman series. Perez makes no qualms about the complexity of the subject, both morally and adapting to changing times.

The art was great and Superman looked fantastic.

Really impressed with the Superman relaunch in general.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I also checked out Supergirl #1 last night to complete my review of all the Superman titles; it was definitely the weakest of all the Super-comics but certainly not among the worst of the DCnU. Getting right into what was wrong with, the issue was a bit thin with not too much happening; much like Justice League there was a writing for the trade mentality where the first issue could have / should have been the first 14 pages. And that's a tough criticism to overcome.

The tone of mystery and urgency is captured well, though, and unlike Superboy (which I liked more) there is a sense that what's happening here must be dealt with immediately. The battle with the 'troopers' was a little by the numbers for a Kryptonian flexing their power set but two things made it stand out: the one trooper yelling for the others to stop because she's just a kid, and the gradual flood of energy from the sun rising to cause Kara's powers to kick in. That last bit was done especially well.

The artwork was very nice IMO and reminded me of a rookie Olivier Copiel. I liked the energy and sense of momentum on the page. I actually like Kara's costume--not as good as her skirt but at least it isn't boring. The funky boots / knee cap window was odd but grew on me.

Definitely not the best relaunch but I still liked it enough to continue. We didn't learn a tone about Supergirl, but I expect we will next issue with the interaction with Superman.

Did I like as much as JL #1? the same.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Action Comics #2

There's a lesson here about posting online reviews of comic books that you enjoy. I gave issue #1 an A+. I should have been more conservative. A+ is as high as you can go, right? So what can I say, now that I've discovered that I liked issue #2 even better than issue #1?

Luthor is being portrayed as a villain fully realized. His motivations are clear. His darkness is tangible. His insistence on calling Superman "it" just makes me furious at him -- each time he does it.

A couple of surprises with characters being referred to as doctor. Both of them so obviously intelligent in previous incarnations, that there should be no question of their PhD worthiness. Oh yeah, that just feels right.

Lois being manipulative to get what she wants? We haven't seen that in years. There's your argument in favor of doing away with the marriage. Lois Lane is Lois Lane again. Welcome back, girl. I missed you.

Superman, himself, I'm falling in love with. That's a pretty stunning cliffhanger of a final panel, if that's who I think it is...

What could make it better? How about eight pages of professionally produced and sleekly presented "behind the scenes" information? Okay, we've got that too.

Let's call it another A+.

[ October 05, 2011, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Action Comics is officially one of my "must read first" books of the new 52. I feel that this title is successfully shaking up what we know about Superman and making him a more dynamic character while still not being too disrespectful of what's come before. If this is the start of Clark and Lex's relationship in the new continuity, you can definitely see where the dynamics they're known for are coming from. Lex's insistence on calling Clark "it" and his ensuing break-out set the stage for why Luthor may become so obsessed with Superman in the years to come. Here we also see, as always, the level of persuasion and control Lex seems to have over his fellow lab workers. We even get a great appearance by Mr. Irons, who looks to be treated with a great deal of respect for the past Steel by having him be the genius who could walk away from such a project when it crosses ethical lines. A great treatment for Steel but even better, it sets the stage for why Irons would be a Superman sympathizer and could one day assist him as Steel again.

Lois was wonderful in this, showing the tenacity she has that suits her well as a reporter. She's going to get to the bottom of what's going on ...or else! A nice throwback to the Lois Lane of old while not making her seem deranged or completely obsessive.

The preview art was great and makes me actually excited to get a glimpse of Krypton. Despite the exotic locale, flashbacks of or tech from Krypton has always been a snoozefest for me when I checked out Superman stories in the past. Couldn't exactly tell you the reason, but the visuals look enticing enough.

Loving this Superman relaunch a lot. I'd give it an A or A+ as well. I walked away with the same surprise with the book at #2 as I did with #1 - an impressive feat.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seemingly Impossible
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seemingly Impossible   Email Seemingly Impossible         Edit/Delete Post     
Supergirl #1 was... okay. Basically, she woke up, she got into a fight, she's winning, Superman turns up. A bit... empty.
Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally caught up to Action #1. I really enjoyed most of it, especially how fresh it felt compared to traditional takes on the character. The art by Rags Morales was really nice. I've liked his art for a good while, so it was good to see him on such an iconic top-tier book.

I actually like Superman in short sleeves! The "official" DCnU costume is pretty much meh to me, but the t-shirt and showing off his muscles is refreshing! Too bad it's temporary. [Frown]

What kind of torpedoed the book for me and made it less than an absolute smash was the train sequence. There were just aspects of the storytelling there that did not make sense to me and failed to do so in rereads of the sequence. How did Clark know the train was in danger, and if so, why did he wait to do something after the call with Jimmy? What was the thug on the train supposed to be doing? Where was the bomb planted--on the train or the bridge?

And that's not even including the massive suspension of disbelief we are asked to do with several train cars staying all together flying thru the air and thru a building and with Lex Luthor having apparently meticulously planning all these random elements to take down Superman.

The problem was that all of it took me out of the story and just puzzled me when it shouldn't have. I liked everything else about the issue, but my problems with that centerpiece sequence downgraded a solid "A" issue into a "B" grade for me.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
According to DC Comics site, Legion to appear in ACTION COMICS #5 and #6:

"Fresh off of his bestselling FLASHPOINT miniseries, industry legend Andy Kubert will be joining critically acclaimed writer Grant Morrison for a special, two-issue arc of ACTION COMICS in DC COMICS-THE NEW 52. Issues #5 and #6 will guest star the Legion of Super-Heroes, while also laying groundwork for things to come much, much later in Superman’s story. And keep an eye out for Krypto!"

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Finally caught up to Action #1. I really enjoyed most of it, especially how fresh it felt compared to traditional takes on the character. The art by Rags Morales was really nice. I've liked his art for a good while, so it was good to see him on such an iconic top-tier book.

I actually like Superman in short sleeves! The "official" DCnU costume is pretty much meh to me, but the t-shirt and showing off his muscles is refreshing! Too bad it's temporary. [Frown]

What kind of torpedoed the book for me and made it less than an absolute smash was the train sequence. There were just aspects of the storytelling there that did not make sense to me and failed to do so in rereads of the sequence. How did Clark know the train was in danger, and if so, why did he wait to do something after the call with Jimmy? What was the thug on the train supposed to be doing? Where was the bomb planted--on the train or the bridge?

And that's not even including the massive suspension of disbelief we are asked to do with several train cars staying all together flying thru the air and thru a building and with Lex Luthor having apparently meticulously planning all these random elements to take down Superman.

The problem was that all of it took me out of the story and just puzzled me when it shouldn't have. I liked everything else about the issue, but my problems with that centerpiece sequence downgraded a solid "A" issue into a "B" grade for me.

I totally agree with what you said. #2 was better in that there was not "huh?" moments.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
^ Thanks, Quis--at least I now know it wasn't just me!

Is there anyone out there who had the same problems? Was there something that Quis and I missed?!?!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
In its story about Keith Giffin taking over Superman with #7, comicbookmovies.com refers to George Perez' #1 as being "critically panned."

WHERE was the book panned, I wonder. Personally, I thought it was the best book of the New 52 by about a million miles.

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
According to DC Comics site, Legion to appear in ACTION COMICS #5 and #6:

"Fresh off of his bestselling FLASHPOINT miniseries, industry legend Andy Kubert will be joining critically acclaimed writer Grant Morrison for a special, two-issue arc of ACTION COMICS in DC COMICS-THE NEW 52. Issues #5 and #6 will guest star the Legion of Super-Heroes, while also laying groundwork for things to come much, much later in Superman’s story. And keep an eye out for Krypto!"

which reminds me...I gotta buy those Action #1 and 2....and KRYPTO!!!!!!!!!!!!! arf arf!!!!
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Action Comics #2 was great. Art and story were spectacular.

I tried to read Superman #1 at B&N...man. I complain about the padding done in a lot of comics that seem to be written for the trade nowadays...but this was way too far the other way, I barely got through the introduction of Jimmy before putting it back on the shelf. Way too much exposition.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
I kind of like the direction DC has gone with Superman. I really liked the DC Archives of Golden Age Superman and was left in awe of how good they were. Why did Superman change over time? Why is Superman not written like this today? I ended up asking my questions on another forum. However, I also like the Silver Age because of the Kryptonian villains. Perhaps as Superman encounters foes that can rival him in physical power, that will create character development as he is forced to think strategically.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Superman #2 was another decent issue. It certainly is a throwback to an earlier time when an issue took more than a few minutes to plow into, though I don't think this one was as slanted in the expository direction as the first issue.

The plot was pretty standard, but fun, and I like the way they are playing Lois. Obviously New Krypton's out the window because General Lane's back as a foil for Supes, and his scenes are actually pretty good for a character I didn't like the last time around.

It's certainly not at the level of Action Comics, but then again how can that be a fair comparison? For a decent Superman comic that has him being Superman, this is a good read.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.