Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Superman, Action Comics, and Supergirl (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Superman, Action Comics, and Supergirl
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
After reading the latest interview with Morrison, I think Action Comics may be the series I'm looking forward to most! Just about everything hrs doing sounds 'right' to me and very exciting.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Action Comics #1

I'm going to end up with the reputation of being DC's biggest cheerleader with all this relaunch stuff going on. Honestly guys, I am capable of critical thinking....

...but I have to give Action Comics #1 an A+.

My head is spinning. There was just so much going on in this issue. There are definite nods to the very earliest of Superman stories, but at the same time it felt totally fresh and new. Superman, Clark, Luthor, Lois, Jimmy and Sam Lane all got solid introductions. In just a few panels, their personalities came through. Simple moments spoke volumes. While talking to Clark on the phone, Jimmy said, "Dude, What's up?' In an instant, the relationship was defined.

Major props to Rags Morales. I've been a fan for a long time. This goes above his usual work. This is not about pretty pictures. This is about storytelling. It's long overdue and thrilling to see.

[ September 07, 2011, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Your review has me amped, Jerry! Really thrilled you enjoyed it. This will be the first one I read.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I may cave...argh!
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
I definitely agree with Jerry about this book. I've never been a big fan of Superman (or Batman either) but I've read enough over the years to know the mythos. (Well, who in the world doesn't know it?) It all just kind of bored me. I only picked up this book because a solicit said it was a "cornerstone" of the DCnU. My hopes weren't high.

But this issue -- storytelling, art, characterization -- everything drew me right into the story. I reveled (yep, I did) in the well-tuned dialogue. Usually on a first reading I skim the art in order to see how the story plays out. With this one, though, the art told its part of the story so well I had to slow down and take it in. It took a while to read this book, and was well worth it. This Superman and his world look like something I want to get to know.

Jerry's right. A+

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll echo the others, this was the book of the week.

Really enjoyed the callbacks to early Superman but with a fresh feel. I thought I'd never want to see General Lane again after recent events, but Morrison even made his one note seem in tune,

Luthor is great, Superman is awesome. Loved how the book had three different centerpiece action sequences. "Action" comics indeed!

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
I just noticed the numbers on the tops of the police cars on Action #1's cover. 19 and 38, the year of the original Action #1.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Nothing else to say that hasn't been said. Art...story...it's all amazing.

Buy it.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Outside of his JLA and Legion appearances, I've never really been a Superman fan or picked up any of his titles. That will be changing now thanks to Action Comics #1. It was a solid read! I second the writing, art, and introductions as being top notch.

Even as an "old fan," DCNu has managed to make me a new one for some of its titles so far. This almost feels like a stronger introduction to the new 'verse than Justice League did.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Nothing else to say that hasn't been said. Art...story...it's all amazing.

Buy it.

What he said...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The title I’ve been most excited about was Action Comics #1 and I couldn’t wait to dive into it. And I was pleasantly surprised to see that despite my high expectations, I was still totally blown away by how much I enjoyed the issue!

Grant Morrison, whom I’ve always loved, is definitely putting in 100% effort here to make the ‘new’ Superman memorable and meaningful. And if he keeps it up, I know he’s going to succeed. The clear fact is that I enjoyed this issue more than any other Superman ongoing series in the last 15 years. A change had to be made and it was right of them to do it.

Rag Morales does an unbelievable a job on the art. I’ve always liked his style too, even the quirks (his eyes are sometimes weirdly uneven). I hope he can keep a monthly schedule because he really seems to get what Morrison is doing and is enhancing it everywhere he can.

I love the entire premise / sentiment of the Superman myth being presented here. Superman being a defender of the common man from the elite fits right in with the original concept Siegel and Schuster intended. Its about damn time to get back to Superman’s real roots. Morrison is right on in his interpretation of a poor farm boy from Kansas being the ultimate working class hero.

I’m thrilled the series takes place 5 years earlier and we’ll see the early Superman develop (while in the Superman series we see his current, modern status quo). The powers, the costume, the naďve/cocky attitude—it all works for me.

Lex appears to be spot-on, and I’m anxious to get to know Lois and Jimmy all over again. Morrison in just a few pages seems to have redefined Jimmy & Clark’s relationship and I love him for that. He said in an interview that he likes the competent, capable Jimmy that perhaps bites off more than he can chew and YES!, that is exactly how it should be.

As a #1 issue, this issue delivered in every way possible. Even with so many pages with no dialogue, I still felt like this dumped a tremendous amount of story & information to the reader which I what I require. Action Comics may be shaping up as DC’s best comic I suspect.

Cobie Comparison: Did I enjoy it more than Justice League #1? Oh yes.

lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I love the entire premise / sentiment of the Superman myth being presented here. Superman being a defender of the common man from the elite fits right in with the original concept Siegel and Schuster intended. Its about damn time to get back to Superman’s real roots. Morrison is right on in his interpretation of a poor farm boy from Kansas being the ultimate working class hero.

What amazes me, is that the reviews that I have seen of Action #1 that are negative seem to totally not get this fact. They think instead (from teh ones that I have seen) that Grant is ttrying to make him cool and hip. Blows my mind how you can consider yourself good enough to go out and review comics without having a single clue as to the history of Superman.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I find myself enjoying this much-less-super Superman.

Was it my favorite of the week? No. That honor goes to ANIMAL MAN, believe it or not.

But this issue was SO retro, it's hard not to be charmed by it!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Superman #1

Okay, this is book is going to divide DC fans. I've read some online rants calling this issue "long and boring". It's more of a character study than an action comic. The Daily Planet is completely redefined for the modern age. The book had a lot of interesting things to say about modern journalism and media. Lois stole the show and I couldn't be more thrilled. Superman/Clark has a stubborn streak, principles, and a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Lots of people aren't going to like it. For me, it was fascinating and ranks with Action as the strongest book of the relaunch. For the character of Superman, this really is a relaunch. It's a bold attempt to keep the character alive, vibrant and relevant. As a lifelong fan of Superman, who has been bored these past few years, I'm moved to emotion by the fact that I'm feeling excited by all this and enjoying it so much.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.