Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Superman, Action Comics, and Supergirl (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Superman, Action Comics, and Supergirl
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
'Boot, Luthor has said that to death in the late 90's/early 00's...I'll find some examples for you.

Might explain it. The Loeb/McGuinness et al teams chased me away (I'd still like to see examples tho [Smile] )

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, that was a *tough* era of Superman. But the Luthor motivation thing stems from there. I'll find some examples...just in my usual time frame of replying to such things [Smile]

(I know, I know, it takes days to get a reply from me...forgive me population of LW!)

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm disappointed that Clark is meek again. I kinda thought they were going to take him in a the crusading reporter direction. Reading the first couple issues, I hoped that they'd riff off those old Mr. & Mrs. Superman backup stories where Clark's career kinda blossomed after Superman disappeared for a year.

Come to think of it, I'd love to see Showcase Presents: Mr. and Mrs. Superman. Its going to be years before the Superman Family reprints get up there though. [Frown] Though I'm hoping the pure stupidity unadulterated with realism that is Superman's Girlfriend: Lois Lane will keep me amused.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought the parallel between this week's 52, which basically shows Clark adopting the "crusading reporter" persona, and this week's "Superman", which deals with his adopting his "meek" persona, was kind of neat.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Just read Superman #654 by Busiek and Pacheco. I think it was the first Superman comic I've read since that time he died. And before that I read some of Byrne's Superman. In other words in the last 20 years I've read a dozen Supers comics. He never did it for me.

This was good. I'm a HUGE fan of Pacheco (and Kurt) so I decided to give this a try.

Legion related small spoilers. We get introduced the Science Police. They are technology cops in Metropolis. They help Superman against Neutron. Guy made of energy in a suit. The word ERG was mentioned. Nice Legion tip of the hat.

I know Kurt and Carlos are both big fans of the Legion. Wouldn't mind them on the title personally. [Smile]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Also I enjoy Kurt's use of first person narrative with Clark. Does a good job of showing him do some streaming in his mind.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Kurt and Carlos' run on Superman has been very enjoyable so far. And Kurt's story in Action Comics is a lot of fun too--in my mind, Superman post-IC is the most fun its been in nearly a decade.

Loving in Action how Kurt is using Nightwing, Firestorm and some others, while still showing why Clark is the 'big guy'.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

So we had the first Johns/Donner issue last week.

It was okay, but not anything spectacular. We'll see what happens with the kid.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
It's pure set-up. Not terribly exciting but it got the job done.

The Kents didn't look quite right to me, though. Can't put my finger on why exactly.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Anyone still reading?

The Johns/Donner arc has gotten better than I've expected, but its moving along pretty slow.

Busiek on Superman is...okay. Actually, while the writing/pacing/art has been really great, the actual story itself just isn't grabbing me. And the Lois/Clark interaction seems very off. I can't really reccomend it.

Supergirl remains atrocious.

Eryk Davis Ester

I haven't picked a Superman title up for awhile. It was pretty cool at the beginning of OYL, but I lost interest, especially with issues delayed and such...
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Figured I'd update the title of this thread to reflect the new status quo.

I've got to say, quite suddenly I'm enjoying the Superman titles more than I have in years! The writing just seems to be clicking for me across the board. And the growing cast of characters and subplots is also working very well. I’m reading all three Super-books among the first comics I get each week now. I haven’t done that since the 90’s.

Supergirl has suddenly gone from DC’s worst comic to one of the most enjoyable out there. Sterling Gates has made Kara likeable and relatable, woven a great mystery with ‘Who is Superwoman?’, made the series connect to the Superman books but stand out completely as Kara’s title and has given Lana Lang and meaningful role for the first time since…oh, the 1960’s?

I’m actually pretty excited about where all three of these are heading, and I’ve been a pretty anti-DC person for several months now (don’t get me started on the Bat-books).

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
As I'm sure you can imagine, I'm picking up Action, Superman and Supergirl.

Supergirl has been a struggle from the start but the recent stories have finally seemed to hit a stride. Kara is finally someone likable as Cobie says.

Of course, I have ulterior motives for picking up Action & Superman now though I can honestly say that I have never collected either (except for Action when the Legion was the back up story!)

Mon is back! And I'm doing back flips.

I'm a little worried about how they may screw up his history but I'll wait to see how it plays out before I get too worked up. For example, how does he overcome the lead poisoning for an extended period? We know that Superman never came up with a way of curing Lar. That has to wait for Irma and eventually Brainy. But if he can now stay outside the Zone for extended periods of time why would he have to go back in and remain for a thousand years? If he doesn't, it takes away a very important component of what makes Mon such a unique & tragic character.

But it's more than just Lar's presence that has me picking Action & Superman up.

The Guardian is also back! One of my all time favorites. So far, I really like this version even though he's a clone (apparently) I'm looking forward to seeing his story play out. Will he connect with Roy? The original was Roy's revealed to have been Roy's uncle years ago. He also had a long history with Jimmy. And it would be fun to see a return of the Newsboy Legion [Smile]

Finally, there's also Tellus which is very cool. How did he get here and what happens to him now? This is where I hope to get my quasi-Legion fix for a while once Lo3W concludes.

All in all, I give em all a thumbs up!

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh I forgot...there's also the appearance of the new Nightwing & Flamebird. A pair that I've always had a soft spot for, though I regret the loss of Dick as Nightwing. I'll be curious to see how this all plays out.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, did any pickup the latest issues of Action and see who Nightwing and Flamebird really are?

Click Here For A Spoiler its Thara- the security chief and Supergirls former BFF as Flamebird and a rapidly aging Christopher Kent himself as Nightwing

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.