Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Superman, Action Comics, and Supergirl (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Superman, Action Comics, and Supergirl
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought Supergirl #48 was the weakest non-crossover issue in Sterling Gates's excellent run on the title. We only get a few pages of what I really want to see--what's going on with Lana--and then straight into a Silver Banshee story.

Silver Banshee, while a natural foe for Supergirl, just isn't all that interesting. The concept is working much better over at Secret Six with the very intriguing Jeannette character. SM is just so one-note (pardon the pun) and nothing seen here really changed that for me. Worst of all, it's a two-parter, meaning that what's foreshadowed on next month's cover will probably only show up in the last two pages or so. Boo!

So a rare miss for an otherwise excellent series.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
ACTION 885: Nice, shiny art and a fun A-Team sort of ruse by Guardian, Mon-el, Nightwing and Flamebird (who I like, but still can't help finding less fun than a Dick Grayson/Bette Kane partnership would be...)

Looking forward to General Lane's comeuppance-- he's not quite to Norman Osborn levels of overexposure, but he's getting there. I hope he skulks off for a year or two once all this is over, but I wouldn't mind reading about him again once some time has passed. Unlike Osborn...

The Captain Atom mini hasn't catapulted to the forefront of my imagination, though it does feature the creation of a new(?) mystical world and a potentially worthwhile recurring villainess. This particular installment held the reunion of CA with some Justice Leaguers, who put him through his confessional paces, before extending welcoming arms. The last page makes me look forward to the next couple of issues... Captain Atom and the Shadowpact. Sounds intriguing, eh?

Though I notice one-time squeeze Eve 'Nightshade' Eden is *not* among the Shadowpact members pictured. Too bad... would fitting this is with her SUICIDE SQUAD/SECRET SIX appearances have been so difficult?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So, I'm catching up on the Superman comics with "Last Stand of New Krypton" ending and "War of the Supermen" beginning. This post will reflect the latter and I'll get to the former in another post when I get those read (could possibly be later tonight). I know we've been discussing this on the Legion forum too b/c of Legion involvement but I've largely held off on doing so there--mainly because the Legion hasn't been all that involved besides Brainy.

My major conern/criticism is that I'm beginning to suffer event fatigue in a major way in the Superman comics. I'm actually pretty relieved we're almost there and a new era will begin where Supergirl can go back to her solo stories (as it remains an excellent comic book, particularly when not event-centered) and Superman can return to Superman & Action and we can get some solid stories again. Rucka has now left and I kind of get the sense Robinson has grown weary of his Superman stuff and Sterling Gates was called in to get this thing wrapped up for them.

Last Stand of New Krypton isn't that bad a story, just drawn out and suffering from the fact that "New Krypton" was a 12 issue maxiseries that seemed to go on forever. I like seeing Superman, Supergirl, Superboy and the Legion all working together--but part of it seems to be just moving chess pieces around with no attack in place. Also, Luthor, General Lane, Zod and Brainiac seems to be overdoing the villain usage. There was just too many characters here with too little happening.

I'm not exactly thrilled that its going into the weekly "War of the Supermen" but I'll give it a chance, certainly because I'm feeling happy that this era is just about over. It was not a bad era by any means, but just overstayed its welcome.

I hope by story's end, Kandor will be shrunken again and Zod is removed from the table. Also, I hope Alura has a solid role with some redemptive qualities because her story is probably the most interesting of the entire last year's worth of storylines besides the leads.

Also, on one final note, I've basically been skipping over Action Comics the last few months. Flamebird & Nightwing has just become super-boring, while Captain Atom's back-up feature has felt pointless. With Rucka's exit, the writers obviously don't have their heart into it. The oncoming Luthor story isn't exactly getting me excited; the one-issue Superboy story will be a good lead in to his ongoing series (which I'm definitely looking forward to), but I actually wouldn't mind some solid Superman stories again in Action.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Well, I caught up on the rest of the Superman comics after my comments last night for “War of the Superman”, including the Free Comic Book Day issue. On the one hand, I am relieved that things are moving an incredible pace now and this storyline is being resolved; on the other hand, I’m still really feeling some fatigue on the entire New Krypton stuff and knowing its about to be over isn’t helping.

Allura did indeed get exactly what I was wondering about in my above post, though I kind of wished it worked out differently.

The destruction of Kandor caught me by surprise and not really in a good way. It seemed kind of pointless to throw away such a great concept. Mainly because I’d become so tired of Kandor that it didn’t really make me feel any emotion. I’d rather it was re-bottled and then revisited in a new way by new writers. Hopefully something similar will happen shortly. What I mean is, if this is all we’re going to get from Kandor, it seems like a bit of a waste.

I also wonder why DC chose a Free Comic Book Day book to be so mired in about two years worth of continuity? Readers probably checked in and wondered what the hell was going on. Unless I’m just a little jaded, and they actually were pulled into the story (which I admit, could happen).

I think at this point spectacular ending could really save this whole era for me and make me think of it more fondly (especially if I reread all at once one day in the future). A ‘dud’ ending would have the opposite effect.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
With changes coming to Superman, and given the decline of newspapers in the real world, I wonder if Clark Kent will get a new job. Remember back in the 70s (or was it even the late 60s?), he was made into a TV guy, which shook me to my little teeny-bopper boots. So maybe now he should work as a blogger, or a Wikileaks type of guy.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Does anyone else feel that War of Supermen and the last two years of Super comics amounted to nothing?

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, it all seemed too tidy -- most Kryptonians dead, a few hundred re-imprisoned in the Phantom Zone, now with a REAL reason to hate Earth and Superman. Alura's sudden death forecloses what had been, to me, a really interesting source of conflict within the family El.

I suppose there WILL be consequences here -- Superman rebuilding trust in people, but that's the 3rd time since his "death"? Who wants to read that AGAIN, especially since it happened SO recently with 1 Year Later?

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
One other quick but to me very important thing -- in the original Superman continuity, Kandor was always this source of hope, that someday some of the best that was Krypton could be restored and be a key part of maintaining Superman's legacy into the future. That's all gone now, and that just makes me sad. It would have been nice if the New Kryptonians did not turn out to be all scumbags, which is how I feel they ended up looking.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Does anyone else feel that War of Supermen and the last two years of Super comics amounted to nothing?

Yup. [Yes]

quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
One other quick but to me very important thing -- in the original Superman continuity, Kandor was always this source of hope, that someday some of the best that was Krypton could be restored and be a key part of maintaining Superman's legacy into the future. That's all gone now, and that just makes me sad. It would have been nice if the New Kryptonians did not turn out to be all scumbags, which is how I feel they ended up looking.

Agreed 100%. Feels like a major waste of a great concept. Perfect example of modern creators failing to capture the spirit of what made comics of past ears great and instead trying to tell a destructive story where everything is destructive and nothing of any value is added to the mythos.
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Coming soon:

JIMMY OLSEN, CHILD MOLESTER!

-and-

LOIS CHEATS ON CLARK!!!

(just kidding.... but you never know these days)

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
So... Superman #700.

Did anyone else make the mistake of buying this complete dudsville of an issue?

A title accomplishes the extremely rare feat of making it to 700 issues and THIS is how DC celebrates that fact?!?

With a bland, pointless tale by James Robinson that just exists to wrap up the absolutely woeful New Krypton storyline (like any of the readers jumping on with this issue care about that mess!).

With a fun but out of place Dick Grayson-Robin story that has a small guest appearance by Superman in it.

And with possibly the most ham-fisted, in-your-face-with-worthiness prologue to a story that will be continued next issue by JMS.

And that's it. No pin-ups or character bios or fun ideas or rememberances or anything like that. No, instead we just get those three duds and then 10 PAGES of DC advertising upcoming Superman and Green Arrow books. 10 PAGES of that!

So to sum up, Superman #700, its great milestone issue, contains an epilogue to one of the worst Superman stories ever, a fill-in story, an extremely disappointing prologue to another story... and 10 pages of adverts.

[No]

DC just continues to plumb new depths of ineptitude at the moment as far as I'm concerned. They need regime change at that place worse than North Korea does!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the Jurgens story, but also felt that it was a bit out of place.

I picked it up hoping to be intrigued ny JMS' story...glad I'll be able to save that money.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm still scratching my head over the big nothing that was Superman #700.
What a disappointing issue.

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I did not enjoy the Robinson story. The Robin story was okay, but as Blacula said, felt out of place. The JMS intro did generate some interest from me, along with this week's press releases. Superman walking across America, featuring different cities and some fan interaction? Hmm. I'll pick up the first couple of issues, at least.

[ June 26, 2010, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Charlemagne
Frisky Perchlorate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Charlemagne   Email Kid Charlemagne         Edit/Delete Post     
It sounds like I haven't missed much since economics compelled me to give up superhero comics a few years ago (second half of 2007, IIRC). [Frown]

--------------------
If your klordny lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical attention.

From: Arkansas Province, Baaldur | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.