Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Superman, Action Comics, and Supergirl (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Superman, Action Comics, and Supergirl
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
RE: Superman #2

Loved everything about it.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Let me just say, I friggin' worship George Perez... the man can do no wrong in my book... but jeez Superman #2 was wordy... I know folks usually complain about the opposite, but still... if Perez was getting paid by the word, DC would go broke... that said, I loved the story (even though it reminded me a lot of an early Byrnes tale)... it also reminded me of some of my favorite Perez-helmed Wonder Woman issues... the art is beautiful... shame to hear that Perez is leaving after a few issues... I hope it's not a drastic shift from what he is establishing in this book...

3 1/2 fins up

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Supergirl #2 had a lot of similarities to the first issue in that it was a bit light on plot but still remained a fun read. We see the obviously coming battle with Superman which hopefully gets that out of the way. In the process we continue to get a feel for this Kara and watch her develop her powers. I'm actually looking forward to further meeting her.

I'm also starting to like the new costume. I think it works well, and is close enough to classic to be entirely Supergirl.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Action Comics #3 was another good issue, if a little light (the extras don't make up for the extra dollar).

Clark is in the dumps. Beat up physically, harassed personally, and in jeopardy professionally, he tries to deal with a world that's equally against him and Superman. how could things get worse?

How about Brainiac, Luthor and Metallo coming at him at the same time? Oh, yeah.

I really liked the little touches this issue. Brainiac using "White Dwarf" lenses for the shrinking, the ghost of a white dog, etc.

Who wants to lay odds that Clark's secret informant is Perry White, unable to publish the goods on Glenmorgan himself?

Hopefully the Legion shows up soon to pull Clark out of his funk.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

RE: Action #3

Our first glimpses of Krypton were beautiful. The opening sequence could have gone on for the whole issue, and I would have been satisfied. If that white dog is Krypto, we're going to get a much more bad ass version in this reality.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

I found Superman #3 unsatisfying. I really liked the first issue, and the second was decent enough, but this feels like padding. Nothing new happened in this issue that we didn't glean from previous ones: The Galaxy corp is like Rupert Murdoch's empire, the reporters are conflicted about how to operate as journalists in that environment, Aliens are looking for Superman and attacking him in different guises. All of these were interesting ideas, that aren't moved forward all that much here. There wasn't even a clever attempt to defeat this Alien (It's an cold alien, let's use my heat vision on it's host). I don't even buy the angst Clark gets for potentially killing her as we a) know she'll be back next issue, and b) Clark probably should have found her that nearby with his vision powers.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
Did anyone else think that the cover of Superman #3 made it look like he was wearing a Super-athletic Supporter over his blue suit? The little red lines going under his butt and the wide red belt at his waist.....
From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Superman has been getting grief about his jockstrap from the very beginning:

Letter of complaint

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Jerry
active

RE: Superman #3

A warm welcome to Nicola Scott on pencils. So far, DC appears to be sincere in their efforts to get the new books out on time with quality artwork. I especially liked her take on Clark and look forward to seeing much more of her work in the future.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh! They color corrected all the copies of the cover that are online. No more little red straps under his tushy now!
From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Action #4 was a fun issue. Basically a full issue fight scene as the Terminaughts, led by Metallo, invade Metropolis both looking for Superman and to prepare the city it for bottling. Steel makes a great debut, and will make a great foil for Metallo. I also loved the throwback scene of Clark "Panicking" and running away, abandoning Lois and Jimmy when the robots show up. Luthor's extended panic attack was fun, but I'd rather see him get a hold of himself soon and manipulate the situation to his advantage.

Brainiac was really creepy, though what does his new look mean for Coluans?

Edit to add: I loved, loved loved how it didn't end with "Oh crap, we're screwed," but a "Hold on everyone, I've got a plan...". That's SO Superman.

[ December 07, 2011, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Dave Hackett ]

Jerry
active

I'm glad that Brainiac is being introduced early. I would so love to see the people responsible for making live action Superman movies use Brainiac as a villain rather than always falling on Luthor. Brainiac's creepy new look would be great for the big screen. Morales continues to knock my socks off.

Lois, the Spam story's not working....

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Reviews for Action #6 in the Legion forum here:

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001041;p=1#000009

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Action Comics #7 brings us back to the main story as Superman needs to get to the Collector's ship and then is faced with a choice between saving Kandor and saving New Troy (a Borough or Metropolis). Of course, he's Superman, his answer is "screw you, I'm saving everyone."

I liked it quite a bit, although it was a bit more "standard" fare than the heady mix of the last few issues, but it's still fun to see the threads come together.

Jerry
active

RE: Superman #7

Thumbs up for Giffen and Jurgens fist issue. I had forgotten what a good match Dan Jurgens' pencils are for the Man of Steel. Snappy dialogue, a new villain, Jimmy has bed bugs, and Lois is catty about...

Click Here For A Spoilera visit from her sister, Lucy !!!

Short blonde, Zero fashion sense.

Ouch !!

[ March 29, 2012, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.