Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Thor, the God of Thunder (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Thor, the God of Thunder
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Olivier's Thor is getting a Marvel Select figure:

-

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I like Coipel's design, but it seems kinda wrong to me to see Thor in armor. He's always been tough enough not to need it (well, except for that time he was cursed of course...)
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
...cursed with the breakable bones, or that godawful beard...? [Hmmm?] [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
#4's out-- with a story partially set in Darfur (sp?) which tries a *tad* too hard to be relevant. The elder's refusal of Thor & co.'s aid seems like something that would happen only in a work of fiction. I can't imagine someone really turning down a *god's* assistance to quell tragedy.

That said, the story was moving-- and I appreciated Thor's Solomon-like solution.

I'm glad the Warriors Three are introduced en masse, rather than drug out over 12 issues or something.

There's a hint that Asgard may be filling up at a much quicker pace, but who knows what that really means or when it'll happen.

We *do* know that Sif is most likely the next Asgardian to appear. After her, I'm pulling for Balder and then Valkyrie.

After that, the missing 'big Asgardians' (Freya, Hela, Loki etc.) can fill up the city.

I wonder about the frost giants, trolls, elves, sentient wolves that surrounded Asgard? Where are they?

I don't think folksy Oklahomans are a substitute, frankly.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
It *wasn't* Sif, after all! I was surprised at the brunette's identity... I won't spoil it, but I will say that I don't think it's a character that'll be a romantic interest for the God of Thunder any time soon.

Balder's back-- after time spent inhabiting The Destroyer's armor-- which was also surprising.

The same deal that brought about the cover character's return brought back a bevy of Asgardian 'baddies', who are now around to battle the Thunder god. And Dr. Doom's hand is stirring a pot or two. That can't be good (except possibly for readers).

I still wanna see Sif and Valkyrie! The DEFENDERS announcement has me wanting to see these two even more!

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Weird how the Asgardians scattered anonymously (and amnesiac?) among the U.S. population is happening at the same time that the same thing is happening with Amazons at DC...
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
They're not amnesiac and barely anonymous - all those Thor wakes up get full recall (and most of them aren't Asgardians - the four shown were Hela, a Frost Giant, Amora and the eye of what I presume to be Jormungand, with Hela & Amora in full costume and the others not exactly humanoid). I really want to know why Amora - the only one I consider to be an "Asgardian" of the four - ran away, actually. Last we saw, she was on good terms with Thor, and unlike Balder, she died well before Thor did anything in Ragnarok (she was the very first death when Loki attacked on Hela's ship).

I fully expect Sif to turn up inside Jane Foster - she's the only Asgardian who's been bonded to a mortal before where that mortal's still around. And given the reappearance of a Donald Blake...

[ January 01, 2008, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Yuck. I hope not, Reboot. I always found Jane kind of boring.

I was thinking of *all* the Asgardians, not just those shown in #5. I think the 'better-natured' Asgardians who we've seen so far have been amnesiac, so it's probable that those who haven't debuted are also without memory.

Amora-- I'd like to see her return to her roots as a prime Marvel villainess. Other than her, there isn't one, really. Is there?

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Most of the Asgardians are now "freed" from their hosts - Asgard is visibly populated in the opening scene, and there were tens or more people in the shelter that Thor freed various nasties from (the four we saw are an excerpt, a sample, not everyone). Sif - who Heimdall and by extension Thor can't find yet - and Odin - who JMS says Thor isn't sure whether he should try and find - are about the only major Thor-book Asgardians still missing.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

I only mean that the Asgardians were or are (in a few cases, still) anonymously scattered around without memory (before 'awakening' or whatever), just like the Amazons were at the end of AMAZONS ATTACK, this past summer. Concurrently with THOR. The Amazons, as yet, haven't come to themselves.
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Amora-- I'd like to see her return to her roots as a prime Marvel villainess.

Fat chance of that happening with the aforementioned brunette in the spotlight.

quote:
Other than her, there isn't one, really. Is there?

Moonstone.

Selene.

Dr. Monica "Scorpion's Mom" Rappaccini

Hela.

Madame Masque.

Viper.

Nebula could've been one if not for Starlin and Marz.

Umar has potential that's been unexplored for decades.

Dr. Minerva, if anyone at Marvel would write her like I do.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whom
May Be Concerned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whom           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Amora-- I'd like to see her return to her roots as a prime Marvel villainess.

Why wouldst thou want me in the Marvel Universe when thou doth already have me here at Legion World?
Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

"It is my hope to be the first Asgardian with a tan." Hee-hee!

Worth the price of the issue, IMO.

The stuff with the Asgardians rubbing shoulders with Oklahomans is fun. Thor's speech about wanting the Asgardians to live lives that they choose, rather than that they are fated for makes this juxtaposition more palatable. He says this as he's debating with Dr. Blake about whether or not to find and restore Odin, who Thor thinks will follow old paths.

I liked this conversation. Blake's thought, that an Asgardian in human form might be killed in a random car wreck before Thor acts spurs the Thunder God to take to the heavens and kill a bunck of birds with one lightning strike. He plummets to earth (lot of that happening in this series), while Loki looks on and makes cryptic comments.

Well, I like each scene- and the Norse gods interacting with Americans is richer fodder than I first thought. I can't help thinking that it won't last all that long, though.

It's fun to imagine how prolonged exposure would change both the Oklahomans and the Asgardians. How long till all the elfs, frost giants, sentient wolves, fairies, etc. start to set up camp around Asgard? They're on Earth, too, aren't they? Or did I misunderstand that?

Still- bring on some Sif and Valkyrie!

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I've got to say, despite just about nothing happening yet, I've kind of enjoyed the last few issues.

I'm still on the fence, but its entertaining enough for me to keep reading.

When I read all the Thor's a few years ago, I remember the whole 'Sif inside Jane Foster a la Thor in Don Blake' thing. I think Reboot could be on to something and they might go that route again. Obviously, Don Blake is not Thor, which is a major change in the last thirty years. Since midway through the Silver Age (when Kirby was still there) to another point in the 70's, Siminson doing away with it in the 80's and then even in the 90's, they've reiterated time and time again that Odin created Blake in a way where he was essentially Thor or an aspect of Thor. Now this is not the case. And so, if Thor has Sif, I think they might let Don Blake have Jane. In a way, it could please almost all Thor fans (for example, my father, a child of the Marvel Silver Age, prefers Jane Foster far beyond Sif).

My biggest worry was the way JMS might right some of the Oklahoma folks. So far, my worries seem to be for naught. I'll probably make about eight trips to OKC this year for business (I made about 12 last year).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Thorsleep? Already? A god-based father-son allegory concerning Odin's relationship with his father replayed in the Thor/Odin dynamic?

Interesting... but not what I wanted this issue.

Still, the art was nice- and the issue was generally well-written.

I wonder if Thor will bring Odin back after all?

If he doesn't, I hope the ravens hang around. They're kind of fun and creepy.

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.