Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Marvel's X-verse (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Marvel's X-verse
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
First up, an image of what's apparently a new X-FORCE title:

newsarama retailer's meeting info

Can't say this line-up appeals to me much. I like Warpath and Wolfsbane-- but each has been pretty compelling where they were.

If this is it for X-Force, I'll likely skip it.

Oh, yeah, something else I won't be getting (unless there's some very unexpected 'guest stars')--

Click Here For A SpoilerCABLE's getting his own title--- to replace CABLE/DEADPOOL.

Sorry, to that book's fans.

[ January 10, 2010, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Re: X-Force
Yeah, what I really want is a book full of badasses... [Roll Eyes]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I was hoping to see Warpath more in Uncanny. The X-Force pic looks good for an arc or subplot within one of the main books or even a mini. But an ongoing? eh.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't cared about the X-books in over a decade now. But I've got to say, after all this hype and the upcoming mega-X events and the new X-books coming out, I still can't find it in me to care.

It's a shame really, as X-Men was the second title I collected on a regular basis (Legion being the first). It was during the Dark Phoenix saga... good times. Good times.

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought for sure Carey's X-title would become the new X-Force with Cable, Sam and Iceman as members (given its not the original title). Have to say if that's the line-up, I wont' be buying. But maybe there's more to it than that.

I'd like Warpath and Wolvesbane where they are.

Feel bad for Reboot and other Cable/Deadpool fans.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Omni Craig:
I haven't cared about the X-books in over a decade now. But I've got to say, after all this hype and the upcoming mega-X events and the new X-books coming out, I still can't find it in me to care.

It's a shame really, as X-Men was the second title I collected on a regular basis (Legion being the first). It was during the Dark Phoenix saga... good times. Good times.

Mirrors me exactly Craig. I haven't cared for the X books in years, not counting the recent Whedon title. But there was a time that the X-Men was second only to the Legion (Titans running a distant third). And I jumped on during the Dark Phoenix story. Fell in love with Jean instantly only to see her killed. I think the first newsstand copy I bought was #136.

This news, like all recent X-news, just gets ignored when figuring out my monthly order.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
The X-Books were my number three "collecting area" when I started out with US-comics in 1994, tracked down most of the old stories and kept on buying it til before Morisson took over...

I always had the feeling that the books went downhill after Age of Apocalypse. That storyline, was full of great ideas, stunning art, and the whole story was really going somewhere, although missing a decent ending.

Afterwards, Onslaught was dull, with Zero Tolerance you did not even see eny longer where it started and where it ended and I can't remember one single decent storyline in those years. Magneto dies, Magneto lives, Magneto dies, and in between, Jean Grey dies and lives, oh my god. So I quit.

Astonishing was good - for six issues, the second story with the Danger Room becoming alive (HUH!!!???!!!) was so lame that I stopped buying that one as well.

I keep on buying some German X-Men digests, but mostly, I am dumbstruck how bad that stuff is. I really don't get why so many people keep buying it.

Recently, I got #200 - just to see what was going on - and the art was terrible (aside from the cover), the story hard to recognize and the current lineup a total disaster. So I'll pass for the "Major great brand-new direction big event hot shot crossover" of the year - seeing Bachalo and his colleagues drawing it, X-Factor will remain the only book I'm buying these days.

Even sold some of my X-stuff from the late 90s recently - that, me being a die-hard collector, is really a harsh judgment [Smile]

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Scott, Craig, have either of you given X-Factor a chance? No matter how bad the other X-Books get, there's always X-Factor (for the moment, at least; it does bother me that Rahne is being moved over to X-Force -- I hope upon hope that before she leaves, the PTB allow Peter David to resolve that flash-forward she had where she kills Madrox and Layla.)

I hope Deadpool gets at least a new solo mini-series sometime in the not-too-distant future, if not a new solo ongoing. He's certainly got the fanbase for it (as long as Fabian Nicieza keeps writing him, of course.)

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
One thing about the X-verse, there's always a heap of interesting characters *not* being used. Everytime I see Wolverine or Storm or Jean Grey, I think to myself, 'what about Nightcrawler? Or Cecilia Reyes? Or Unuscione?'

Meh. Edwards-Scissorhands-Force doesn't interest me in the slightest, and not because I don't like the characters, but because I *do* like some of the characters, and hate to see them teamed up with that hairy irascible midget.

I'd rather read the new adventures of Berzerker and Scaleface (despite both being dead, and utterly tertiary mutants who died in their first appearance) than another Wolverine story.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Carey's X-MEN comic has been a good read. Since #200, he's really picked up the energy of the book. He's avoided the soap opera that was most of the 90's. That and X-Factor should be the two X-books you read. I look at Astonishing much like Legends of the Dark Knight- sort of an ancillary title that may or may not be relevant.

I'm not stoked about the new X-Force, more because of the Wolervines than the tone. Ah well...

Cable is probably going to be a good book. I like the character, and Mike is suppose to be taking on a solo X-character. He and Fabian are the only ones to really get him.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
After Legion & Avengers there was X-men as a kid (and then Teen Titans). I also haven't cared much about X-Men since about? Fall of the Mutants.

I did like the recent stuff. Carey on X-men, Brubaker on Uncanny, and Whedon on Astonishing. But it looks like the magic died all at once. Marvel should have let each of those titles to branch out on their own.

They always do this. A writer seems to be taking a major X-title somewhere interesting and then there is a shake up. ugh. Everybody switches teams, etc. I think the actual rotating of team members hurts the titles. I want consistency. I want these people to stay on a team and become better friends, etc. Ohwell.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
I think the actual rotating of team members hurts the titles. I want consistency. I want these people to stay on a team and become better friends, etc. Oh well.

I agree. There was great interaction between Storm and Cyclops/Jean/Kitty/Forge/Bishop/etc. And where is she now? Married to some dude she met once when she was six and hanging out with some other team she barely knows.

Wolverine, hardly my favorite character, has had great interactions with Colossus, Cyclops and Nightcrawler. Cyclops is dead again, Colossus is alive again, but spending all of his time in the sack with Kitty and Nightcrawler is off somewhere being a priest? Or perhaps a demon? Maybe a pirate? Come back next week when he changes gender and becomes Mutant X...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Exactly Set. Keep the teams together. Sure add or subtract a member here or there but these big overhauls really kill me.

I blame the editors. [Smile]

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree, that is one of the major problems killing the the legitimacy of so many X-books.

I also was enjoying Bru's Uncanny and Carey's X-men. X-Factor has been brillant, Whedon's Astonishing has been a let-down though the last issue suddenly had some great flashback panels at the end.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
I blame the editors. [Smile]

This thread and the above quote have been in the back of my mind for awhile. It can't be a coincidence that most of the X-Books started going south right after Axel Alonso became Group Editor of the X-Books.

The good news is that Peter David said recently that, yes, he'll still be writing X-Factor after Messiah CompleX is over, and, yes, it'll still be a detective agency.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.