Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Earth 2 (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Earth 2
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Thing to remember here (and I have not read the issue yet, as I am waaaay behind) is that these are not the heroes we used to know...(cue song).
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
Just as the original Earth-Two itself had some intriguing differences from our own world (South Africa getting rid of apartheid earlier, Quebec leaving Canada), the new Earth-2 seems to have a few of its own quirks as well. It'll be interesting to see where Robinson goes with stuff like a global military force and other things that happened as a result of the Apocalypse invasion.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Shining Son:
Oh, right. Didn't realize the Peter Cannon thing you mentioned was not a reprint, or that Dynamite has the rights to him now.

The issue contains two stories. One is brand new by Darnall, Ross, and Lau.

The second is an ashcan story that Peter Cannon's creator, Pete Morisi, prepared for DC for a Secret Origins issue that never saw print. Apparently, Morisi retained rights over the character that the creators of other Charlton heroes didn't. This led to a delay in DC's plans to reintroduce him with the other Charlton characters. By the time a deal was struck, DC had moved another direction. Morisi passed away in 2003 and it looks like Dynamite has entered into a contract with his estate.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting. Thanks for posting that Jerry.

There was an invasion from Apocalyse on Earth 2? Does this mean there are w (or more) Darkseids? Or that the Fourth Worlds has access to the Multiverse and operates on all earths, or at least those in which they are interested?

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
That's a big unanswered question. I think the latter would be interesting.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
It's been kind of implied that the latter is the case, but not confirmed.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Wasn't it already the case pre-Crisis that the Fourth World operated across all the universes? I seem to remember hearing that a loooooonnnnggg time ago. (I think it might have even come up in the Crisis?)

It makes sense when you think about it.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, but either makes sense. (And it's not as if sense is always the guiding principle anyway.)

Major powers, such as the Guardians, that have been around for millions of years either have no apparent interest OR counterparts in other Earths.

Seems to me that with many Earths, either Darkseid would have found that only ONE had the proper Anti-Life Equation, or he would have succeeded in obtaining it by now. With so many targets, it's exponentially harder for the forces of New Genesis to protect them. And not every Earth's heroes can be as competent as ours. :-)

In fact, I also wonder... if Darkseid is supposed to have been around so long (or at least he thinks he has been), why did he wait till the Age of Heroes to start messing about on Earth?

Anyway, either story they want to tell is fine, but hopefully editorial will pick one and stick with it instead of a confusing mess.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm... the plot of the JLA/JSA/New Gods crossover involves Darkseid moving Apokolips into Earth-2's place, so that he could conquer a universe without Old Gods or New Gods to thwart him. That seems to suggest that it has a different relationship to Earth-1 than to the other Earths, though it's not exactly definitive.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

When did that crossover come out?
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ 1980.

http://www.comics.org/issue/34744/cover/4/
http://www.comics.org/issue/902234/cover/4/
http://www.comics.org/issue/902441/cover/4/

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Can someone explain the gist of what happened with the 0 issue? Totally don't understand Terry Sloane's behaviour! He's known as Mr. 8?
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
The people of the four or five locations that got blowed up at the end had been mind-controlled / anti-life-equationed by Darkseid, and Sloane arranged for the stuff meant to shut down the machines to instead cause them to explode, both to eliminate the threat, to keep the other heroes from getting diverted into trying to save them, and to 'show' Darkseid what lengths humanity would go to repel his advances.

That's what I got from it, although it was not a story that really resonated with me, since it wasn't a version of the character I had any connection to, and therefore came across as less of an Earth 2 story, and more of a 'fanfic.'

It was a little too 'Sloane as Ozymandius,' and, while comics are 100% repeating the same cool stories over and over (sometimes even with the same characters), Ozy's shoes are too big to fill with a character that has just been introduced (and Earth 2 is only, what, four issues out of the box?, and really hasn't had time to grow on us...), IMO, and that sort of magic can't be captured in a one-issue story.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Shining Son:
Yes, but either makes sense. (And it's not as if sense is always the guiding principle anyway.)

Major powers, such as the Guardians, that have been around for millions of years either have no apparent interest OR counterparts in other Earths.

Seems to me that with many Earths, either Darkseid would have found that only ONE had the proper Anti-Life Equation, or he would have succeeded in obtaining it by now. With so many targets, it's exponentially harder for the forces of New Genesis to protect them. And not every Earth's heroes can be as competent as ours. :-)

In fact, I also wonder... if Darkseid is supposed to have been around so long (or at least he thinks he has been), why did he wait till the Age of Heroes to start messing about on Earth?

Anyway, either story they want to tell is fine, but hopefully editorial will pick one and stick with it instead of a confusing mess.

While I'm still trying to scrub it from my brain, I do seem to recall from the JL story that Darkseid isn't explicitly seeking Anti-Life, but is jumping from world to world looking for his daughter. Have they mentioned Anti-Life at all in the Nu52?
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:

It was a little too 'Sloane as Ozymandius,' and, while comics are 100% repeating the same cool stories over and over (sometimes even with the same characters), Ozy's shoes are too big to fill with a character that has just been introduced (and Earth 2 is only, what, four issues out of the box?, and really hasn't had time to grow on us...), IMO, and that sort of magic can't be captured in a one-issue story.

My problem was that Batman is that character in many ways already, especially seeing them together slinging high technology at Para Demons. That alone was enough to make me put it back on the shelf.

Its like evil Tony Stark Deus ex machina vs. good Tony Stark Deus ex Mmachina. Its not interesting when there is one of them, much less two.

It so annoyed me, Because these types of characters are so over exposed, I put it back on the shelf.

Soon, instead of 20 batman titles (and/or wolverine titles) its going to be 20 batman titles where he fights evil versions of himself!

[LOL]

there's a satire waiting to happen in there somewhere.

In the Anti-Matter Universe ALL comicbooks are Batman or Wolverine titles and they fight each other!

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.