Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The other WTF covers. (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The other WTF covers.
Timber Wolf
LMB Black Ops

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timber Wolf   Email Timber Wolf         Edit/Delete Post     
It's clearly a indication that it's okay to put something crooked into baked goods.
From: Doing the things that need to be done | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kinetix (Zoe Saugin)
Sassy and all dressed up

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kinetix (Zoe Saugin)           Edit/Delete Post     
And why is she holding the cake with a towel? if she knew the cake was tough enough to be held by a towel, why waste a perfectly good toothpick testing it?

--------------------
Why must power be so elusive?

From: Aleph | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Teens never think about wasting things!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angdar Fel
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angdar Fel   Email Angdar Fel         Edit/Delete Post     
What teens do you know?
Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I feel a little sorry for the model on the cover. I am sure she thought it would be her big break. Instead, she likely died a penniless, cat-hoarding spinster, her one claim to "fame" dissected 60 years later by nerds on a message board. Heartbreaking, really. *dabs tear*

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Poor Matilda.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

She waltzes... and bakes... no more.

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
But she shall live on... in the annals of Legion World history.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Leap Year Lord:
[QB]  -

My first thought is that it was a horribly bad translation, and the original word was 'garderobe,' which can mean 'bathroom.'

But then a visit to Wikipedia reminded me that normal people haven't called bathrooms 'garderobes' since they stopped living in castles, and I need to come back to earth now.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Clearly Miss Teen America isn't testing a cake for 'done-ness,' but is actually 200 ft. tall and probing a blue-black alien saucer-craft to torment the aliens inside!
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
Gag: "Oh no, the cake came out wrong!". Check.

Still undetermined: the prop is that is standing in for the "cake". Cake pan or jello/aspic/pate mold seems likely, I've never seen one that color. Metal ones are copper or dull silver, and plastic ones are bright.

I've also wondered if it could be fake jello (like wax fruit). You know, like all the photographers had lying around back in the day. But again, it's too dark. Jello would be red or green, or something bright.

Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
 -

"The Sarge"'s "Yeah, you and who else?" sounds like a typical response to an unlikely claim, like a small guy threatening to kick a big guy's ass. But "The Private" is leaning away from the Sarge and even has one of his hands up so the body language doesn't read right for that.

I can't explain "The General" AT ALL. Not why he is on the ground, or what is supposed to happen next. The closest gag I can figure is Sarge chewing out Private when Sarge is inadvertently about to hit the General but neither the dialogue nor the blocking bear that out.

Does the Private's left hand mean anything, or does the artist just draw hands weird? (Look at the General's. Ouch!)

When I was a kid, the comeback was "Yeah? You and what ARMY?" I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Looks like the General is on the joke with the private. He's setting up the Sargent so when the Sarge is pushed by the Private, his legs will buckle against the General and he'll instantly fall to his butt. This was a recurring 'gag' throughout 30's - 50's cinema, comic strips, etc.

I guess the irony is that the Sarge can kick around the Private, but he too answers to someone who can kick him around, the General.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
This was a recurring 'gag' throughout 30's - 50's cinema, comic strips, etc.

...and in real life, at least when I was growing up.

Looks like kids are still at it, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsw7feNBvIM

The classics never die, as evidenced by what the kid shouts at the end.

quote:
Originally posted by Leap Year Lord:
"The Sarge"'s "Yeah, you and who else?" sounds like a typical response to an unlikely claim, like a small guy threatening to kick a big guy's ass. But "The Private" is leaning away from the Sarge and even has one of his hands up so the body language doesn't read right for that.

I think the Private's body language is part of the set up. He's ostensibly backing down to lull the Sergeant into a false sense of security until the General gets into position and then... push!

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh... and actually now that I look closer, I don't think that rank is supposed to be a General, but rather a Major... who would generally be a Company Commander and therefore, likely the Sergeant's "boss", supporting Cobie's idea about the hierarchy of pushing someone around.

[ November 16, 2012, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: Exnihilo ]

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.