Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The other WTF covers. (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The other WTF covers.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
It's amusing to me because the standard phrase as I know it best is, "You and WHAT ARMY?" and these guys are Military.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
I have no recall of the push-over thing, either from real life or movies. I can easily image it as a "Little Rascals" thing though.

What's not clear is why the top brass (actual rank unimportant -- main idea is that he IS ranking) would be in on it.

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihilo:
Looks like kids are still at it, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsw7feNBvIM

The classics never die, as evidenced by what the kid shouts at the end.

Armies? So last century. Today, it should be, 'Oh yeah, you and what unmanned predator drone?'

And, at some point in the future, 'Oh yeah, you and what artificially-intelligent fourth-dimensional bioweapon?'

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Leap Year Lord:
What's not clear is why the top brass (actual rank unimportant -- main idea is that he IS ranking) would be in on it.

The rank isn't super-important, but it does give the joke a little more punch if he were a Major, because then the reason that he's in on it is a little more clear.

This might be a little boring but, by way of explanation... basically, you wouldn't expect that the average low ranking sergeant would have much day-to-day interaction with a general... generals don't tend to hang around with enlisted men.

But if he were a Major - implied by the gold leaves on his epaulettes - then it's likely that he's the head of the "Company" - a smaller army unit - that the sergeant is in, and is basically the Sergeant's "boss".

So... just as the Sergeant bullies the Private (who he's in charge of), his rightful comeuppance (for being a bullying jerk) would come at the hands of his own boss, the Major. If the Private were to simply push the Sergeant without the Major's involvement, he'd be punished, but the "You and Who Else?" makes all the difference, because now the Sergeant has no recourse.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

There's definitely a "there's the boss and there's the BIG BOSS" element that is not specific to the military, but the uniforms make it clear who's who in the scenario.

Sarge is probably supposed to be a loudmouth jerk, but "yeah, you and who else" HAS to be in response to a fresh remark.

I think the whole thing is visual gag that doesn't really flow with the "you and who else" conversational gambit.

Like with the Miss America cover (and lots of covers, really) you allow for certain exaggeration/simplification/whatnot to make the gag work -- or not. Even so, I can't help wondering if a senior officer would really dress down (in any manner) a lower-ranking officer in front of a GI. I can't claim any real knowledge of military culture, but it just doesn't seem right.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
What's interesting is that in say, 1946, probably just about every kid buying comics knew the structure / ranks of the military.

I can tell you most kids today do not know that--not even close.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Leap Year Lord:
Like with the Miss America cover (and lots of covers, really) you allow for certain exaggeration/simplification/whatnot to make the gag work -- or not. Even so, I can't help wondering if a senior officer would really dress down (in any manner) a lower-ranking officer in front of a GI. I can't claim any real knowledge of military culture, but it just doesn't seem right.

No, you're absolutely right... that sort of "dressing down" in front of someone's subordinates would very rarely happen (and be deemed really inappropriate if it did) but... yeah... suspension of disbelief, and all that.

Trust me... if military accuracy was a prerequisite to comic strips, "Beetle Bailey" would have been cancelled on day one.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
What's interesting is that in say, 1946, probably just about every kid buying comics knew the structure / ranks of the military.

I can tell you most kids today do not know that--not even close.

80s kids learned it via G. I. Joe.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

-

Is there a joke here?

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Not that I can see???

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I mean, really. I've checked this a few times and I don't see the joke.

I assume there's some sort of Irish thing at play here, based solely on costuming, and the idea of the ass not wanting to walk is well-known, but I see NO connection and nothing to make it an obvious "TEE-HEE" cover.

Unless there's something amusing about Irishmen and donkeys I am missing--?? *looks to Cobie*

--------------------

Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Middle man definitely wants to get to the parade or procession or whatever.

Does redhead want to stay or go? At first I thought he was sitting, which = stay, but I think the tails of his jacket look like a stool or something.

Is it that his foot is braced against the animal's leg as a way to pull it along...but is really preventing the animal from moving?

Eryk Davis Ester

I think they all just want to join in the St. Patrick's Day Parade, and the donkey just isn't cooperating. I think that's all there is to it.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Nah, I think it's that he's pulling the head with the rope but his foot is pushing and blocks the animal from moving. It's not that noticeable because redhead's shoe blends into middle man's shoe.
Eryk Davis Ester

I think it's just a trick of (bad) perspective. He's leaning back with his left foot pointing in the air, trying to get the donkey to move. I think the heel is supposed to be touching the ground on the far side of the donkey's right (background) leg.

I would expect the next move to be for the donkey to stop resisting and for him to fall flat on his posterior.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.