Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » George RR Martin's Fire and Ice (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: George RR Martin's Fire and Ice
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
GRRM has written the best fantasy series I have ever read. Well, to be more accurate, he is still writing it. The next book in the series (A Feast for Crows) is coming out November 8th. I am so excited! He is also doing a book-signing in Lexington, which is about a 90-minute drive for me, so I am planning on going.

This is such a rich and wonderful series! Is anyone else reading it?

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I am, but I'm likely going to get it throught the SF Book Club so I may have to wait a few more months. So be sure to put SPOILER warnings on any Feast of Crow discusions!

I'm really going to have to start rereading the series soon. (So many books; so little time.) Of course, I think I've read Game of Thrones four times already.

[ October 15, 2005, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Arachne ]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I just re-read the whole series to make sure the events of the past books were fresh in my mind. I'll probably buy the book the day it comes out and have GRRM sign in when I go to Lexington. I would likely just get it from the library if he weren't doing the book-signing, but I can't resist the opportunity to get a signed copy.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Just picked up the first four issues to this series. Can't wait to start (have to finish The Cell and one other book first).

And did you hear that HBO will be doing a series based on the books? Each season will focus on one book so it is a planned seven season series. The Sci-Fi wire has a few details.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Issues? Do you mean novels or comics? I think I saw something about a comic based on a prequel novella. I can't remember the name right now, though.

--------------------

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Sorry, had comics on the mind there. I meant the first four books in the series. Fevre Dream has been recently scheduled to become a comic series (can't remember when it is due for release) but I hadn't heard anything about the Song of Ice and Fire being adapted.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

I'll try and remember what I saw. [Smile]

--------------------

minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
I have the books for this series and I plan on reading them, I just have to get through about 6 and half more Drizzt, Jarlaxle, and Artemis Entreri novels by R.A. Salvatore first. I'm considering waiting until GRRM finishes the series before starting to read it though. I just have too many books that I want to read right now and not enough time.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saturn Girl
Always Leave Them Spellbound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saturn Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Minesurfer, I read the first two Drizzt books and then lost track of the series. Did it stay interesting enough to hold your focus?? I know that on World of Warcraft there are all kinds of incarnations of Drizzt as a Night Elf..
From: Utah (non-Mormon!!!) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Sorry, had comics on the mind there. I meant the first four books in the series. Fevre Dream has been recently scheduled to become a comic series (can't remember when it is due for release) but I hadn't heard anything about the Song of Ice and Fire being adapted.

Years and years ago, I wrote George RRR Martin about Fevre Dream and he said there was talk about it becoming a movie at some point, but it never came about and that was at least 10 plus years ago.

Personally, I think it'd make a better miniseries and wouldn't be that expensive to produce.

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
To answer your question directly, Saturn Girl, yes the Drizzt books kept my focus. So much so that I've had a hard time reading other "great" fantasy "classics" like David Eddings' Belgariad. It just doesn't measure up to Salvatore's Drizzt, imho. I can't recommend the Drizzt novels enough to anybody that might want to read an engaging story.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

I was really happy to hear about the HBO series. Perhaps this will motivate GRRM to actually finish the series. He must be really rich, since he takes his sweet time putting out new books. Don't get me wrong - I love the books. I think they are the best fantasy novels I have ever read. I just wish the books would come out a liitle quicker.
wamu2
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wamu2           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lance's realm:
I was really happy to hear about the HBO series. Perhaps this will motivate GRRM to actually finish the series. He must be really rich, since he takes his sweet time putting out new books. Don't get me wrong - I love the books. I think they are the best fantasy novels I have ever read. I just wish the books would come out a liitle quicker.

I know what you mean. but I was rather lucky. I didn't find out about the series until after he had written the first 3. I got to read them all without a break. good times.
From: chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Book five is supposed to be out this summer, IIRC. And he has stated that he wouldn't complete the series until 2011. I think he's just giving himself enough time without having to crank out crap like some multiple-book series authors do.
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
hmmmm... any authors in particular, LL?

Starting with a "J" and ending with an "ordan?"

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.