Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » George RR Martin's Fire and Ice (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: George RR Martin's Fire and Ice
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Rick, yes, the Terry Brooks books. Lance, I never read beyond the original trilogy (The Sword of Shannara, The Elfstones of Shannara and The Wishsong of Shannara). Sword, IMO, was the best and a good enough book to stand alone. I'd say just try it and see how you like it.

I never read more than the first five in the Amber series myself. I admit I loved how tarot cards were used to move around and actually paid a good price for a deck of Amber tarot cards at one point.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, as for other ways to watch A Game of Thrones. I won't be seeing them as they're broadcast but will find a way. Can't afford HBO just for one series no matter how much I want to see it.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
you'll probably be able to find it on some bog like I see a lot of stuff, or surf the channel, todou, yokio, or some other place like that.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
that should read blog, not bog.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Scott, I looked up the Shannara series, and I planned reading the original trilogy even before you commented on it.

Rick, I am about halfway through the first Amber book and I really like it.

I am sure the Game of Thrones series will be out on DVD eventually, and likely with bodacious extras, so I might just wait for that.

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Lance, Glad you like it. I wont spoil it, but its one of the books that doesn't follow all the rules... and Zelazny makes it work fantastically.

--------------------

Something pithy!

Lightning Lad
Founder

I usually grab the DVD set if I like a series (like The Walking Dead) just for those extras. But I'm part of another forum where I can get the shows as they air so I don't have to wait.
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Ok, Rick, I finished the first Amber book. You were right; it was a really good read.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Glad you liked it. It just goes against so many stereotypes and works. Our "hero" doesn't have things go the way you think. In reality, he would be considered the bad guy even though he's the books protagonist. While he has personal physical power and abilities, his mind is his sharpest asset. There's no obligatory love interest that finds itself in peril... and yet, while almost everything flies in the face of modern storytelling, its being done by a master and it all works so effortlessly.

You get personal stories as well as a family feud on an epic scale... and the story has really barely begun.

I'm glad you like it and hope you enjoy the rest. Zelazny mixes genre's, fantasy and mystery, so well throughout the entire ten book run.

Betencourt did a trilogy of Corwin's dad, Oberon, and while it was good, a fun read, it didn't have the sheer scope and epic feel of Zelazny.

--------------------

Something pithy!

lancesrealm
amiable

Is it just me, or does it seem like the movie "Highlander" cribbed the basic plot from the Amber novels?
rickshaw1
Leader

Yeah, I thought a little of that made it in myself. Most people haven't seen and read them both, though.

--------------------

Something pithy!

kenaustin
4/28/37 - I miss you, momma - 6/13/11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenaustin   Author's Homepage   Email kenaustin         Edit/Delete Post     
FYI for those interested in the HBO series...

HBO will be previewing the first 15 minutes of episode 1, "Winter Is Coming" tonight at 9:00pm.

The series will premiere on April 17.

--------------------
kenaustin's korner - Legion Magic

From: Louisville, Ky | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

I'll give it a look. Thanks Ken.

Ohp, no, I wont. I have showtime, not hbo. Dang.

--------------------

Something pithy!

kenaustin
4/28/37 - I miss you, momma - 6/13/11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenaustin   Author's Homepage   Email kenaustin         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, it will probably be available for "other" viewing no later than 9:30 or so. It usually takes about 15 minutes for shows to make it online.
[Wink]

--------------------
kenaustin's korner - Legion Magic

From: Louisville, Ky | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Heh. yeah, I have a site or two, but they tend to be very show specific and sometimes the other venues they link to are very slow or not online quickly. Megavideo isn't linked very much anymore. Then there's surf the channel, but you have to rely on what other's have. And I have a blog channel or two, but they tend to focus only on what they person that has the blog likes.

If you have a good one, send it my way and I'll be happy to share some other sites as wel.

--------------------

Something pithy!

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.